Admissions

You’re reading way to deep into what I’m saying, I never said it was hard to get in. I’m just saying people do get rejected.

Well of course people get rejected, but with the dumbasses we had there, I don’t want to see the kind of people they reject.

1 Like

Most of us mariners on gcaptain are unlikely sources of current information on academy admissions. Publications like Princeton Review and U.S. News and World Reports publish acceptance rates,average GPA, and average SAT scores for every college in the US. In the past, I have seen published data broken down even further than that. Some schools publish tables that show the curve of accepted GPAs and SAT scores. I would think that all you need to do is call (or have a high school guidance counselor, or your own college admissions consultant call) the admissions offices at the academies to ask: What is your cutoff for GPA and SAT scores? gcaptain is probably the wrong place to be looking for this kind of information.

My impression is that there are fewer and fewer students interested in the regimental programs at maritime academies. Most kids want the normal (un-regimented) party experience in college (with things like coed dorms and frat houses — not to go to a single-sex boot camp at schools that still treat students the same way that they did in the 1940’s. So it appears that the academic qualifications of the applicants, and of the accepted students who actually show up for class, has dropped off considerably over the past few years. At the same time, most of the academies seem to be creating more and more non-regimental programs, and those non-regimental programs seem to be growing in size while the regimental (upper level license track) programs are decreasing in size. In part the schools are creating new non-regimental programs to attempt to retain some of the students who drop out of the regimental programs. I hear that the regimental drop out rate has increased considerably in recent years. In short, the schools are scrapping the bottom of the barrel for regimental students now and almost anyone can get accepted.

Nonetheless, the academies still do get a quite a few students who are academically gifted and/or hardworking top performers.

[QUOTE=Whiplasher;80799]Than why did they make an app?[/QUOTE]

here you go mister midshipman tinpot…watch this and pee your little pants in your fantasy that KP is your path to earning the “RESPECT” that you so desperately need to be a big bad sailorman!

//youtu.be/xEhHvwiGoxk

try to put a towel down first so to not stain the sheets tho…your momma will wonder what you do in there at night!

There goes 10 minutes of my life I can’t get back!

Thank you guys so far for the comments. Well yes I looked at SUNYs stats to get in which the average meaning over 50% got in with a 23 ACT and a 2.5 to 3.0. I have a 31 ACT score and a 2.7 GPA which isn’t good but my percent average is a 83.43. The problem is KP doesn’t publish the accepted candidates GPAs so that’s why I came here. They do however publish ACt and SAT scores which the majority of the students there have 27 ACTs which I am above once again.

As for c.captain. Can we both just cool are jets? We are wasting each others time and other by having them reading our comments about each other. We are also not getting anywhere. Not saying we have to ever like each other but getting along should be to much to ask for

I’ve GOT to get my popcorn for this one!

[QUOTE=Whiplasher;80852]As for c.captain. Can we both just cool are jets? We are wasting each others time and other by having them reading our comments about each other. We are also not getting anywhere. Not saying we have to ever like each other but getting along should be to much to ask for[/QUOTE]

“OUR” jets, not “ARE” jets…oh my, such simple spelling to fuck up! Do you think that might be a big red flag in your KP application essay? Hmmm…keep trying though. You’ll get a special gold star for effort even if you never learn proper spelling and vocabulary.

As far as where this goes and who is reading it… we don’t have to go to anywhere at all with this. Just consider yourself to be tonight’s entertainment here. I have the popcorn concession at the gCaptain multiplex and I make a buttload of cash off of the likes of you son.

ka-ching!..next in line!

ps…I didn’t like you from post #1 and you’ve just continued to prove my original opinion to be spot on! Keep going…

If you want some respect around here, at least learn proper grammar. Are jets?

2.7. Hahaha. You might as well hang that KP dream up in the same closet you came out of. Therefore you better do extra chores around the house so you can save up for that college tuition.

I am loving this! Whippersnapper you really need to get some respect & manners because if you actually get a degree from the sweat of men who PAY taxes you won’t last one month on any vessel except the row boat your mommy gave you!

Eye noo et wuz kuhmeng

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;80862]Eye noo et wuz kuhmeng[/QUOTE]

I was just wondering Fraq, do Krakken’s have nuclear breath like Godzilla?

If so, then I am “the Krakken” rising from the depths every morning!

Okay well first I do not understand why we are correcting grammar on a forum. C.captain I don’t care if you like me but if you have nothing constructive to post than why post it to begin with? Riverrat while your comment comes off as negative you do have a point. I don’t think a 2.7 GPA will get me in to KP. But… With if I can get that up to a 3.0 GPA and a 33 ACT and throw in my recommendation letters that I have I think I have a lot better shot. I already have plenty of money set aside for college but KP being “free” makes it a bonus. BeringCapt I assume you are talking about me. I am sorry if I lost my cool but it seems some people are just to stuck up. Now I understand I should respect them because of the fact they are a lot older than me and know much more about the industry. However if people are just going to sit and give me crap about something I want to do I am obviously not going to sit there and take it. Hell you all can hate me for all I care I just wanted a question answered and while I didn’t get as much data as I wanted It will suffice.

With your one sided thinking, you will receive crap for a long time in this industry as you won’t be able to keep your smart ass mouth or thought to yourself and there isn’t a Capt anywhere that will tolerate it!

My recollection is rusty on this, but doesn’t one need to be sponsored by a U.S. Senator in order to even submit an application at KP? I presume that the Senators must screen out kids with weak academic records? The don’t want to look silly sponsoring applications that have no chance of acceptance — do they?

I have always heard that it takes good grades, especially in college preparatory math and science to get into KP. One would think (and hope) that a 2.7 GPA would not even come close. If KP is forced to scrap the bottom of the barrel that hard to find students willing to attend college for FREE, then that says quite a lot about about how far KP has sunk in the eyes of prospective students.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;80869]My recollection is rusty on this, but doesn’t one need to be sponsored by a U.S. Senator in order to even submit an application at KP? I presume that the Senators must screen out kids with weak academic records? The don’t want to look silly sponsoring applications that have no chance of acceptance — do they?

I have always heard that it takes good grades, especially in college preparatory math and science to get into KP. One would think (and hope) that a 2.7 GPA would not even come close. If KP is forced to scrap the bottom of the barrel that hard to find students willing to attend college for FREE, then that says quite a lot about about how far KP has sunk in the eyes of prospective students.[/QUOTE]

Tug you are correct. A 2.7 GPA most likely won’t get me a nomination. But with my high school being the way it is if went to any other highschool in my state with the same grades I have right now I would have over a 3.0.

[QUOTE=Whiplasher;80892]Tug you are correct. A 2.7 GPA most likely won’t get me a nomination. But with my high school being the way it is if went to any other highschool in my state with the same grades I have right now I would have over a 3.0.[/QUOTE]
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
Keep digging that hole, kid. I am gonna need more popcorn.

[QUOTE=Flyer69;80894]In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
Keep digging that hole, kid. I am gonna need more popcorn.[/QUOTE]

I don’t understand how that is funny. A 83.5 is a B at my school. At all other schools in my state it is lower. Ranging from a 80 to a 83

[QUOTE=Whiplasher;80895]I don’t understand how that is funny. A 83.5 is a B at my school. At all other schools in my state it is lower. Ranging from a 80 to a 83[/QUOTE]
If you cannot deduce the logic of that saying, you have a long hard road ahead of you in any occupation that requires critical or analytic thinking.
Consider digging ditches.

[ATTACH]2283[/ATTACH]