Adding a propulsion mode to Third Assistant Engineer

I’m trying to sort out what I need to do next to get the motor license.

According to 46 CFR 11.502, to add another mode of propulsion to an existing 3AE license, one must do one of the following:

1. Four months of service as an observer in the same capacity as their endorsement onvessels of the other propulsion mode
  2. Four months of service as an engineer officer at a lower level on vessels of the otherpropulsion mode
  3. Six months of service as oiler, watertender, or junior engineer on vessels of the otherpropulsion mode
  4. Completion of a Coast Guard approved training course for this endorsement.

For 3)…is this service from the date of original license issuance or can the time be drawn from existing sea time prior to issuance?

I have a total of 277 qualifying motor days from the last 2 years. About 30 of those are > 4000 HP.

About 70 of those came after the original steam license was awarded this year…just wondering if I’ve inadvertently set back the clock…

I have not sailed with this license, if that helps.

Thanks.

This is another of those situations where a license consultant would be very helpful.

The way I read it you have more than six months, and 3 does not say “while holding a license.” So you should qualify for motor. But I may well be wrong.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;159014]This is another of those situations where a license consultant would be very helpful.

The way I read it you have more than six months, and 3 does not say “while holding a license.” So you should qualify for motor. But I may well be wrong.[/QUOTE]

I’ve used one in the past, I’ll go back and see what he thinks. He sent me a spreadsheet but it was geared toward the original…should have asked him this, too.

I’m inclined to think as you do but don’t want to turn anything in and be months short.

[QUOTE=catherder;159001]I’m trying to sort out what I need to do next to get the motor license.

According to 46 CFR 11.502, to add another mode of propulsion to an existing 3AE license, one must do one of the following:

1. Four months of service as an observer in the same capacity as their endorsement onvessels of the other propulsion mode
  2. Four months of service as an engineer officer at a lower level on vessels of the otherpropulsion mode
  3. Six months of service as oiler, watertender, or junior engineer on vessels of the otherpropulsion mode
  4. Completion of a Coast Guard approved training course for this endorsement.

For 3)…is this service from the date of original license issuance or can the time be drawn from existing sea time prior to issuance?

I have a total of 277 qualifying motor days from the last 2 years. About 30 of those are > 4000 HP.

About 70 of those came after the original steam license was awarded this year…just wondering if I’ve inadvertently set back the clock…

I have not sailed with this license, if that helps.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

For number 3 you should be able to use unlicensed time from before you obtained the license.

For no.1, “In the same capacity” means you have to have held the endorsement you are adding the new mode to. For example, if you have 3rd AE Motor and want to add steam, you need 4 months whiule holding 3rd AE…

[QUOTE=jdcavo;159046]For number 3 you should be able to use unlicensed time from before you obtained the license.

For no.1, “In the same capacity” means you have to have held the endorsement you are adding the new mode to. For example, if you have 3rd AE Motor and want to add steam, you need 4 months whiule holding 3rd AE…[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Looks like the best thing to do is get the one year done, and then apply.

Meaning 365 motor days. should be no prob. at that point. I’m close.

[QUOTE=catherder;159097]Thanks. Looks like the best thing to do is get the one year done, and then apply.

Meaning 365 motor days. should be no prob. at that point. I’m close.[/QUOTE]

(3) only requires 180 days. You’ve already got enough time, plus 50% more.

QUOTE=tugsailor;159108 only requires 180 days. You’ve already got enough time, plus 50% more.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha…this not being an original license.

I’ll file the application and see what they come back with.

Hmm. Looks like I’m also eligible for DDE 4000.

That’s going to be more test-taking than I first expected, but ok.

It might have changed, but many years ago you could get a DDE Unlimited with your 3 A/E just by asking. No other tests were necessary.

[QUOTE=txwooley;159265]It might have changed, but many years ago you could get a DDE Unlimited with your 3 A/E just by asking. No other tests were necessary.[/QUOTE]

Maybe…

It’s a stand alone license so they’ll probably have me test.

That’s ok. I’ll update when I hear back. Hopefully I’ll have no problems.

I am approved to test for both 3A/E 4000 HP motor and DDE Steam and motor.

I will take two modules for 3A/E and five for the DDE exam.

Thanks for the help, it was appreciated.

[QUOTE=catherder;162999]I am approved to test for both 3A/E 4000 HP motor and DDE Steam and motor.

I will take two modules for 3A/E and five for the DDE exam.

Thanks for the help, it was appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Holy cow. You going to take 7 modules? There’s only 5 for a unlimited license as best I recall.

[QUOTE=tengineer1;163007]Holy cow. You going to take 7 modules? There’s only 5 for a unlimited license as best I recall.[/QUOTE]

3A/E steam and motor is seven modules; I hold 3A/E steam, just adding motors (2 modules)

DDE is five modules.

So it’s like sitting for 3A/E steam and motor; seven in all.

Not a big deal. I am good with study and preparation. Won’t test till I am damned good and ready, hope by end of summer.

And I’m testing in beautiful Charleston, SC, once again. That’s a great place to test!

[QUOTE=catherder;163022]3A/E steam and motor is seven modules; I hold 3A/E steam, just adding motors (2 modules)

DDE is five modules.

So it’s like sitting for 3A/E steam and motor; seven in all.

Not a big deal. I am good with study and preparation. Won’t test till I am damned good and ready, hope by end of summer.

And I’m testing in beautiful Charleston, SC, once again. That’s a great place to test![/QUOTE]

Of course you are right. I was thinking subjects not modules. Charleston is a the nicest REC I have been too, by far. I am sure you will do well, one need not attend school for 4 years to pass a multiple choice exam, especially when they give you a copy of the exam to study. I am assuming the questions are still published of course.

[QUOTE=tengineer1;163046]Of course you are right. I was thinking subjects not modules. Charleston is a the nicest REC I have been too, by far. I am sure you will do well, one need not attend school for 4 years to pass a multiple choice exam, especially when they give you a copy of the exam to study. I am assuming the questions are still published of course.[/QUOTE]

They are published, although I don’t think all the drawings are up yet.