AB to Towing Mate OR 1600 mate NC?

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt]<font size=3>Hello Everyone:</font></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = “urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office” /><o:p><font size=3> </font></o:p></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt]<font size=3>I got a new AB Special rating. I have 807 days that includes 360+ days NC. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes] </span>I the REC also gave me the okay to test for 50 grt NC master. I need some career guidance. </font></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt]<o:p><font size=3> </font></o:p></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt]<o:p><font size=3> </font></o:p><font size=3>Which path would result in the greatest wages or your idea of the best way to go:</font></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt]<o:p><font size=3> </font></o:p></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in]<span style="mso-fareast-font-family: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial]<span style="mso-list: Ignore]<font size=3>1)</font><span style="FONT: 7pt ‘Times New Roman’] </span></span></span><font size=3>360 days as AB on tow boats, 360 days as Apprentace Mate then qualify for Mate on towing vessels OR</font></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in]<span style="mso-fareast-font-family: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial]<span style="mso-list: Ignore]<font size=3>2)</font><span style="FONT: 7pt ‘Times New Roman’] </span></span></span><font size=3>AB to Mate 1600 grt NC on OSV</font></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt]<font size=3>Do towboat mates make similar wages as do 1600 ton mates on OSVs? </font></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt]<font size=3>Suggestions and advice?</font></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt]<font size=3>Thanks,</font></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt]<font size=3>Bob</font></P>

This is a sticky question.

You can upgrade any Master license under 200 GRT to Towing Vessel Mate if you:
-have 36 months of service on your Master license
-have 30 days of training and observation on the desired route(90 days for Western Rivers)
-Complete a TOAR appropriate to the route AND
-Pass the Apprentice Mate exam
-You will also need to take a Radar Observor CG approved class.

This may be the easiest thing to do to get you on vessels over 100 tons + to qualify for Master 5/16. In the end, this is a good way to upgrade depending on the vessels you want to work on. It is also good if you test for your AB because in the end you will need it if you don’t stay on tow boats.