AB Tankerman Jobs

Good afternoon guys! I have my Tankerman PIC! My goal is to get on an ATB with a rotation scheduled. I’m based out of Florida and sail with SIU. I’d prefer to go with Crowley but I’m open to any other companies. Please give me your inputs on day rates, benefits etc.

Crowley will be your best best. Excellent wages, and excellent contract. Rienauer and Moran are good options as well but not SIU. Keystone shipping has an SIU ran ATB as well with really good wages and contract but it’s only one boat.

I think AB tankerman with OSG are SIU.
Since you are already in the SIU you should definately try to get with a company that has contracts with them such as crowley.

Harley and vane bros have atbs. May be worth applying there. Some harley companies are siu as well.

1 Like

They are, but good luck getting a job there. They keep laying up boats and consolidating the crews so they don’t need anybody. Crowley is your best bet probably.

1 Like

Hey thank you so much dude! I’m really gonna push for Crowley ATB’s. That’s been my goal for a year now that I just recently got my tankerman PIC endorsement.

Just to clarify, OSG ATB’s aren’t with the SIU?

What are typically the wages for Crowley AB Tankerman? Ball park estimate.

Yes, they are SIU.

Ballpark somewhere just over Five Benjamin’s a day. The problem is getting a job without knowing someone at Crowley, but it’s possible.

1 Like

I been sailing as a PIC with SIU for a few years now. Took a lot of pushing but you can get I . I was at OSG for a year and it was great but their fleet had dwindled severely. I was laid off with about 6 other tankerman and they laid up another boat in June and ANOTHER one slated for August. Harley Marine NY is SIU and they pay top dollar but won’t hire without prior experience. Crowley is great too but they DO NOT hire tankerman off the street. Everyone starts as a “utility” until they have a tankerman spot open. Could take a month, could take 3 years. But it’s worth it. If I was you I would try to get anything I could to get some experience (Bouchard, vane, one of Harley’s other divisions) and pad the resume. Best of luck. Keep at it.

3 Likes

thank you so much for the advice that you have given me! I’m currently on an OSG Tanker and this is my second Tanker. My goal is definitely to go with Crowley… i’m open to other companies. A Reason as to why I was a little bit scared to go with other ATB companies outside of the union is because I was scared of possibly getting laid off or let go. I guess I am codependent on the union when I shouldn’t be if that makes sense. I’m over in the east coast, Florida that is. If I can stay in the union and get offered a spot on an ATB outside of the union id be willing to take that risk

Hit the nail on the head. They will only hire you as an AB utility until you prove your skills as tankerman and a position for tankerman opens up. If you don’t have any connections with Crowley then your best bet is to get in contact with the guys from the Houston hall. They have a pretty good relationship with the Crowley ATB crewing dept and may be able to get you in. Best of luck!

1 Like

Thank you again brother! Do you know roughly how much an AB utility makes on a CROWLEY ATB roughly?

Just below 4 a day.

That’s honestly not bad considering the fact that my monthly bills are minimal and I live extremely below my means. Another thing… for example, if I’m on a rotation schedule for example 28/14 days off, are there possibilities that I can stay longer. Say my relief wanted to stay home longer and we agreed that I’d stay Aboard the ATB.

Crewing wouldn’t really care as long as it doesn’t end up costing them a bunch more money on launchesand rides but you’d have to have a relief who’s about it.

1 Like

Thank god I finally received a crewing coordinators information for Crowley ATB department. Getting in as a Deck utility would be awesome. I’m in an OSG TANKER vessel and I’m literally sitting next to the Crowley Coastal reliance ATB and it’s such a teaser because I feel like I’m that much closer lol

Thank you again for your info seriously means a lot

Thank god I finally received a crewing coordinators information for Crowley ATB department. Getting in as a Deck utility would be awesome. I’m in an OSG TANKER vessel and I’m literally sitting next to the Crowley Coastal reliance ATB and it’s such a teaser because I feel like I’m that much closer lol

Best of luck, hope it works out. If things go south where I’m at now I would try to head to Crowley.

How is it going? Call the Houston hall and tell them you’re interested in Crowley as a Utility to get your foot in the door.

2 Likes