500-1600 Ton Mate Limited to 3rd Unlimited Oceans

Let’s say I go to Mitags\PMI and come out with a 500\1600 Mate Limited license, What are the requiments to upgrade it to a 3rd Unlimited Oceans so I can go work in the shipping industry, I read somewhere that there’s a cross over from 1600 Ton Masters to 3rd Oceans Unlimited? So does that mean once out of Mitags I just have to work for 360 days take my Masters exam and then cross over?

From what I’ve read its harder to go master 1600 to 3rd mate unlimited than Mate 1600 to 3rd mate unlimited so that might be in your favor, biggest difference sounds like some of the STCW assessments, others may be able to tell you more about it. Or just spend a couple hours searching.

Here is some older threads to read through that I found rather quickly doing a search on here.

[QUOTE=GLMASailor;49157]From what I’ve read its harder to go master 1600 to 3rd mate unlimited than Mate 1600 to 3rd mate unlimited so that might be in your favor, biggest difference sounds like some of the STCW assessments, others may be able to tell you more about it. Or just spend a couple hours searching.

Here is some older threads to read through that I found rather quickly doing a search on here.

Very nice, Thank you :smiley:

Better do it quick. They are fixing to close that loop hole also.

it’s Solantic Walk in clinics good for a Z-card Physical & Drug Screen? I want to work for 6 months or so before attending PMI\Mitags, but i do not see Solantic under the approved lab list for the coast guard?

If its not by an USCG approved place don’t do it. And make sure if it is a USCG approved place they do a DOT 5 panel and the Doctor is in good standing, not a 10 panel. Because of those two things I had to wait 3 months to get my MMC and the extra money it cost me for the 2 extra Drug tests.

some doctor just quoted me $165 is that about right?

I paid 50$ for a drug screen and My health insurance was a 30$ co pay for the physical. Not sure what the physical would cost you out of pocket.

[QUOTE=BMCSRetired;49166]Better do it quick. They are fixing to close that loop hole also.[/QUOTE]

What loop hole is there that they will close?

If you have the 1600Mate or 500 mate, u don’t have to test. The reason is the STCW codes. I don’t have it in front of me but in a nutshell if u have one code u have to test, if u have another, u don’t.

I have it in a letter at home. I will post it when I get off in a week.

Basically, they want EVERYBODY to test and have the schools for 3rd Unlimited and close the link to the hawsepipe unless you are really committed.

To the guy who was asking about approved places to have a physical, You are confusing the physical with the drug test. ANY physician can do the physical. Any med clinic can take the piss test and seal the bottles. BUT the place they SEND the piss test to MUST be approved. You can ask the clinic who they send the urine specimen to to get tested. THAT is the name you need to make sure is on the ‘list.’