3rd mate rules change in 2017?

Dpo on the boat I am on says that If you are a hawsepiper if you do not get your 3m unlimited by 2017 a new rule change says you have to go to an academy?True?I can not find any information on this but then again can not find a rules page for 2017 on google. If this was true would their still be a upgrade path to unlimited or we are just stuck to 1600?

I’ve been trying to do some research on it also and can’t find anything. I’ve been hearing rumor of it… That’s the path I was going to go for was my AB then get my 3rd mate… But hell, I hope your able to upgrade from 1600 to it cause then ill have to do is get my 1600 near coastal an hold it for I think for 360 days then get my 1600 oceans then get my 3rd mate unlit. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong…

No such rule. Sounds like someone is bored and wanted to play shit disturber for the day.

[QUOTE=Menizzi;165401]Dpo on the boat I am on says that If you are a hawsepiper if you do not get your 3m unlimited by 2017 a new rule change says you have to go to an academy?True?I can not find any information on this but then again can not find a rules page for 2017 on google. If this was true would their still be a upgrade path to unlimited or we are just stuck to 1600?[/QUOTE]

I have not heard that one, but I can tell you that there are many countries that have those rules. I work in Mexico and that is the case for national mariners. There is a limited license scheme for the hawespipe, but if you want an unlimited license you must go to a maritime academy for 4 years in Mexico.

In all of y’all’s opinions, what would be the best route to take… Get the 1600 and work my way up or go straight to unlit? Pros and cons please… Need a little guidance as to what route is the best as far as experience… And correct me If I was wrong in my previous post if the best route is 1600 an up…

Depends where you’re working and what kind of time you have. If you have unlimited sea time it’s a no brainer to go unlimited.

Well I don’t have unlimited yet… I pretty much stay in the GOM… I have no problem waiting for AB unlimited to get my 3rd mate unlimited… I just want to make sure even if I get my unlit that ill still be able to hold my license even if I run a 1600. I don’t have to spend “X” amount of days on a vessel of unlit tonnage to be able to get my second issue or anything like that. I don’t work around anybody other then 100T and a few 500T… It may sound like a dumb question… Please don’t take my ignorance as me bein a dumbass, just have no one to talk to about it to learn from and can’t really see anything on any coast guard website… May have over looked, but didn’t see it…

[QUOTE=josh.reid24;165465]Well I don’t have unlimited yet… I pretty much stay in the GOM… I have no problem waiting for AB unlimited to get my 3rd mate unlimited.[/QUOTE]

I think the term “AB Unlimited” is confusing you. You need to work on vessels over certain tonnage requirements to get a true 3rd Mate ticket without tonnage restrictions. You may want to just focus on getting a 100 ton license at least until you land a job on larger vessels. Good luck and don’t give up!

Now it makes sense… Not interested in a 100 ton license… For that pay ill just stick to AB and not have NEAR the bullshit to deal with… Or at least at my company AB’s make more then the majority of the 100 ton capt… Well, at least now I know the route I want to take… Appreciate it fellas

[QUOTE=josh.reid24;165473]Now it makes sense… Not interested in a 100 ton license… For that pay ill just stick to AB and not have NEAR the bullshit to deal with… Or at least at my company AB’s make more then the majority of the 100 ton capt… Well, at least now I know the route I want to take… Appreciate it fellas[/QUOTE]

What size boat are you working on currently?

There are extensive training requirement changes coming about for 2017 that in effect, mean it is in theory, “easier” to go to a maritime academy to obtain the 3M UNL tix than do via the hawsepipe and add all the required classroom training modules…So maybe this is what your shipmate is discussing.

About this time last year, the full text of the new requirements was posted somewhere on the forum, with links, and it takes a long time to read and comprehend all what is needed.

By now someone has probably summarized it better.

Right now a 100 ton. But like I said working on getting my AB on my scheduled time home then ill be getting on our 1600 ton vessels once I acquire it…

[QUOTE=Menizzi;165401]Dpo on the boat I am on says that If you are a hawsepiper if you do not get your 3m unlimited by 2017 a new rule change says you have to go to an academy?True?I can not find any information on this but then again can not find a rules page for 2017 on google. If this was true would their still be a upgrade path to unlimited or we are just stuck to 1600?[/QUOTE]

Hey Menizzi,

Your DPO doesn’t know what they are talking about. With the new rule change you will have to take alot more classes but you don’t have to go to a 4 year academy. Right now (and until 01/01/2017) there are only 5 weeks of required classes to become an OICNW (3rd mate or mate 1600t). After January 2017 that requirement is closer to about 20 weeks of classes.

Keep in mind that the STCW requirements for 3rd mate unlimited and Mate 500/1600t are the same. You don’t need an STCW if you plan on only working domestically, but I recommend getting an STCW if you have the time.

Check out this quick reference guide from MITAGS-PMI and hopefully this will sort you out.

I think this may have already been answered for you but…

The STCW requirements are the SAME for Mate 500/1600t and 3rd mate unlimited. The only thing that differentiates them is the type and amount of seatime that you have.

Some of these changes are for people who began their service and or training after a control date in 2014. If you’ve been working you’re grandfathered for certain things.

[QUOTE=z-drive;165500]Some of these changes are for people who began their service and or training after a control date in 2014. If you’ve been working you’re grandfathered for certain things.[/QUOTE]

Only if you apply BEFORE January 2017. After 31 December 2016 it’s the same for everyone.

A Good place to start looking is the CFR. After that try Coast Guard NVICs. If you haven’t done that you haven’t looked very hard and/or well.

You can get the license same as always, nothing changed. For the STCW endorsement, after 12/31/2016 several courses will be required. This is essentially what was required of hawsepipers during the tenure of the cancelled NMC policy letter 01-02 from 2002 to about 2009.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Chief Seadog;165409]No such rule. Sounds like someone is bored and wanted to play shit disturber for the day.[/QUOTE]
There is a rule, but its been misinterpreted. The gist of it is true, that it will be harder to get an STCW OICNW endorsement.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=josh.reid24;165450]In all of y’all’s opinions, what would be the best route to take… Get the 1600 and work my way up or go straight to unlit? Pros and cons please… Need a little guidance as to what route is the best as far as experience… And correct me If I was wrong in my previous post if the best route is 1600 an up…[/QUOTE]

The requirements for OICNW apply to 500 GT (200 GT) and above, not just “unlimited.” For STCW endorsements for Master for less than 3000 GT (1600 GRT) the course and assessment requirements are comparable to Master for over 3000 GT.

[QUOTE=MateChristine;165493]Your DPO doesn’t know what they are talking about.[/QUOTE]

They might. The requirements for OICNW will change on 1/1/2017. I cant tell if the rest is what the DPO said, or what an uninformed listener thinks they said. It would not be inaccurate to say that training will be required [I]like an academy.[/I]

Jdcavo, does that apply for going from 2nd to C/M unlimited as well or would that be grandfathered? Or is that still up in the air?

[QUOTE=jbtam99;165873]Jdcavo, does that apply for going from 2nd to C/M unlimited as well or would that be grandfathered? Or is that still up in the air?[/QUOTE]

Grandfathered until 12/31/2016 if you started service before 3/24/2014. You won’t need the new training, but you will still need assessments.

After that you have to meet the new requirements. There would be no training or assessment to go from chief mate 3000 GT or more to Master, regardless of whether you get chief mate before or after 1/1/2017, and without regard to how you got chief mate - you wont have to do the new training (except Leadership and Managerial Skills) to go to Master, even if you get grandfathered to chief mate and do not apply for Master until after 1/1/2017.