2nd Mate upgrade

I am in the process of upgrading to 2nd mate oceans, just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice to help make it a smooth transaction. Any one know if i will need to send my original discharges and documents? or will copies be sufficient. Last question, do i sent my application packet to the new Nation maritime center, or still the local REC ? Thanks

Send copies to the local REC. They will forward it to the NMC. You can also email it as well. Pay the fees first, then send docs with app.

[QUOTE=Tugboattim;45707]I am in the process of upgrading to 2nd mate oceans, just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice to help make it a smooth transaction. Any one know if i will need to send my original discharges and documents? or will copies be sufficient. Last question, do i sent my application packet to the new Nation maritime center, or still the local REC ? Thanks[/QUOTE]

Tim,

I just sent in an application by e-mail it was very easy and was processed quickly. I would suggest trying to e-mail the application. You can follow the instructions on the site. Much easier than driving or mailing the application to the REC. Like brjones said, you do have to go through the REC’s. Use pay.gov. I scanned my entire application into a pdf and e-mailed it to REC Memphis. Two weeks later I had my endorsements.