Whose DP cert will expire before they go back to work

Whose DP cert will expire before they go back to work?
will there be a made rush to the new revalidation exams sometimes soon?

I never even had a chance to use mine. What a waste of money, I wish I had taken celestial instead.

Got laid off right when I had enough time to get my advanced, and have ZERO signatures in my official logbook (have my own logbook of the time I spent trying to get this). I feel lucky the captain sent me a sea-time letter. Immense amount of time, money and effort wasted. Bitter? Yes.

This is what happens when the industry is allowed to self regulate. My former personnel manager referred to the Nautical Institutes DP certificate as a license. I do wonder, by whose authority? They are not recognized by the U.S. Coast Guard nor is it required by the IMO. Next thing you know you will need a certificate to operate the GPS. Let’s take our country back and have our own certification scheme accepted by the authorities.

Its client driven. What the client wants, and is willing to pay for, is what they get.

[QUOTE=fiveblasts;194982]This is what happens when the industry is allowed to self regulate. My former personnel manager referred to the Nautical Institutes DP certificate as a license. I do wonder, by whose authority? They are not recognized by the U.S. Coast Guard nor is it required by the IMO. Next thing you know you will need a certificate to operate the GPS. Let’s take our country back and have our own certification scheme accepted by the authorities.[/QUOTE]

Its is a certificate and it is recognised by both the imo and the uscg
The imo doesnt have manning requirements for a dp vessel yet
Thats a can of worms nobody wants to touch

Already in the works…

http://www.osvdpa.org/

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;195006]Already in the works…
http://www.osvdpa.org/[/QUOTE]

Will these certificates be accepted by other countries as well?? (Flag States and Shelf States)

Will this be the ONLY DP certification acceptable on US flag vessel, or all vessels in US waters??

We are just trying to make the gulf great again the nautical institute can eat a dick.

Ya exactly. Who gives a shit. I have a full cert and they let me go when they’ve got guys with less seniority and no cert. go figure.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;195020]We are just trying to make the gulf great again the nautical institute can eat a dick.[/QUOTE]

I really like well reasoned argument. But honestly I have never understood why DP certification is not an endorsement to certificates of competency, rather than a stand alone qualification/certification. Why not write to the Coast Guard about it?

1 Like

The benefit of having our documents U.S. Coast Guard approved is that you can have a hearing with a lawyers counsel if for some reason your documents are in question. Try to do that when dealing with a foreign entity. You will find that you have as much right overseas in a foreign land as these illegal aliens have sneaking into our country. It’s never a good thing when an industry is allowed to self regulate, especially when the cart is put before the horse.

[QUOTE=fiveblasts;195190]The benefit of having our documents U.S. Coast Guard approved is that you can have a hearing with a lawyers counsel if for some reason your documents are in question. Try to do that when dealing with a foreign entity. You will find that you have as much right overseas in a foreign land as these illegal aliens have sneaking into our country. It’s never a good thing when an industry is allowed to self regulate, especially when the cart is put before the horse.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking from experience? Have you ever had any dealings with ANY foreign entity, or are you just regurgitating old bias?? I would venture a statement that you, as a US citizen, have a better prospect with a British entity like NI than a foreigner will have with the USCG.

There is a reason why most maritime arbitration cases are handled under British Law, either in London, or in Singapore. FAIRNESS before the Law.

As for “cart before the horse”, where do you see that the most??

The suggestion that a U.S. citizen be required to travel overseas to any country for the purpose of maintaining a job in his or her home country does not sit well with me. I find it very hard to believe that Senator Wesley Jones ever imagined that our merchant marines would be required to hold a foreign certificate in order that they be allowed to work in the OCS on a U.S. Flag vessel. No problem if foreign vessels working in the OCS require it, that’s their business. It’s the business of Homeland Security i.e.- U.S. Coast Guard to determine what credentials a U.s. Mariner should possess not the oil companies.

[QUOTE=fiveblasts;195197]The suggestion that a U.S. citizen be required to travel overseas to any country for the purpose of maintaining a job in his or her home country does not sit well with me. I find it very hard to believe that Senator Wesley Jones ever imagined that our merchant marines would be required to hold a foreign certificate in order that they be allowed to work in the OCS on a U.S. Flag vessel. No problem if foreign vessels working in the OCS require it, that’s their business. It’s the business of Homeland Security i.e.- U.S. Coast Guard to determine what credentials a U.s. Mariner should possess not the oil companies.[/QUOTE]

There is no need to travel overseas to obtain a NI DPO Certificate. There are approved courses held in the US and the required practical experience can be gained on US vessels, or on foreign flag vessels in US waters. The same goes for DNV-GL certs., I believe.

The advantage with having an internationally recognized certificate is that it is accepted anywhere, whether you are working on a US- or foreign- flagged vessel and in any EEZ.

Get over the idea that USCG is somehow the only organization that is capable of anything maritime.

Sir; I am sorry for not being a little more clear regarding my statement. I agree with you that we need an internationally recognized certificate, but why not keep it in step with what has traditionally worked up to this point in time? I merely suggest that the training centers around the world be approved by each nations licensing authority and that the training center issue the certificate. No different than all our other certificates required for licensing. Why allow third party certificates to determine our ability to work? Third party is the crack in the dam that opens the door to more unregulated certification as technology continues to advance. Have you seen the drone taxi in Dubai? Maybe drone delivery offshore might be next. The licensing authorities protect our jobs.

[QUOTE=fiveblasts;195216]Sir; I am sorry for not being a little more clear regarding my statement. I agree with you that we need an internationally recognized certificate, but why not keep it in step with what has traditionally worked up to this point in time? I merely suggest that the training centers around the world be approved by each nations licensing authority and that the training center issue the certificate. No different than all our other certificates required for licensing. Why allow third party certificates to determine our ability to work? Third party is the crack in the dam that opens the door to more unregulated certification as technology continues to advance. Have you seen the drone taxi in Dubai? Maybe drone delivery offshore might be next. The licensing authorities protect our jobs.[/QUOTE]

The issue is the oil industry wants hands on competency yet our STCW95 compliant ticket says in theory we know how to manage a vessel but we may not be able to drive it and the DP industry has brought that to light.
I am sure the flag states have chosen not to touch DP tickets as the sim exam that the oil industry is trying to push forward would make most punters proven incompetent to operate a vessel. Now what will your status become in the eyes of: P&I, insurance, liability, validity of your CoG be then?
Captain but not allowed to touch the controls??
Huge can of worms

I wish I had taken celestial instead.