Which ship?

Ok, I am throughly confused. Anybody know WHAT SHIP EXACTLY was attacked off Somalia?

The picture that gCaptain is using on the homepage/blog is the same ALABAMA I saw in Diego Garcia, where she was delivering supplies for the AF’s base. My friend was on her at the time. The same ALABAMA, that along with the ALASKA used to be the TITUS and GIBSON before the TITUS and GIBSON became 2 of the three Sea Wolf class ships. The ones with the big a$$ sail of a RO/RO garage behind the house.

BUT multiple media reports state the ALABAMA was the ALVA MAERSK until a few years ago (after I saw the ALABAMA in D/G). So is this a case of MAERSK reusing names? Since the ALVA MAERSK now supposedly ALABAMA is not the same ALVA as one built in '76…

I know MAERSK lines has a hand-me-down program, but I didn’t know they swapped names like that.

It is the Alva Maersk… don’t believe everything you see on gCaptain :wink:

Who is your friend on the Titus? My wife, Cindy Miller, worked aboard her for a few years.

[quote=drkblram;11283]Ok, I am throughly confused. Anybody know WHAT SHIP EXACTLY was attacked off Somalia?

The picture that gCaptain is using on the homepage/blog is the same ALABAMA I saw in Diego Garcia, where she was delivering supplies for the AF’s base. My friend was on her at the time. The same ALABAMA, that along with the ALASKA used to be the TITUS and GIBSON before the TITUS and GIBSON became 2 of the three Sea Wolf class ships. The ones with the big a$$ sail of a RO/RO garage behind the house.

BUT multiple media reports state the ALABAMA was the ALVA MAERSK until a few years ago (after I saw the ALABAMA in D/G). So is this a case of MAERSK reusing names? Since the ALVA MAERSK now supposedly ALABAMA is not the same ALVA as one built in '76…

I know MAERSK lines has a hand-me-down program, but I didn’t know they swapped names like that.[/quote]

Are you sure your friend was on the Alabama and not the Arizona? I was on both of those ships(the Alaska and Arizona) and they were the former Titus and Gibson (with the big garage behind the house). I was even on it when we went to DG.

Here’s an article I found about the Alaska and Arizona (Titus and Gibson) http://www.merchantships-international.at/JOLLY_NERO_IMO7361233.pdf

snip

Ignazio Messina has bought two combined con-ro units (fully cellular containership with ro-ro facilities) for around USD 8 million each, from Maersk Line (AP Moeller Group). The deal was made through Ferrando & Massone shipbroker, based in Genoa (Italy). The former “Maersk Alaska” and “Maersk Arizona” were built in 1975 and 1976 at Blohm and Voss in Hamburg (Germany). They have a capacity of 1,730 teu and 1,500 lane meters, a top speed of 21 knots, 31,000 dwt and 40,500 GT, and are self sustained with two 40 t cranes. The “Jolly Nero” (ex-Maersk Alaska) will start operations in July on the Med-Red Sea Arab Gulf service

Ok, thanks for the info… all them “A” states tend to run together…

John, my friend was a dayman named Dave from Tuscaloosa. He was my watch partner in '01 on the SEABLUK TRADER. Saw in in '03 on the ARIZONA (I think now…) in Diego.