Whats in your sea bag?

I am new to the “workboat” side of things (done commercial and charter fishing and have my docs in order) and am looking to catch some 28/28 work in the GOM or wherever. Everyone says that when you go knocking on doors that you should have your seabag packed. No prob, shaving kit and what else? Are their laundry facilities? Do most companies provide you with coveralls and such? If I am working 28 days do I need 28 pairs of skiveys and 28 pairs of socks? I assume boots (do they need to be steel toe?), maybe white undershirts, hell I haven’t a clue. I just want to know what to have in the back of the truck because I’m going knocking on doors this week and am ready to piss in a cup, if they say “lets go”, I’m gone.
Appreciate it.

99% of tugs have a washer/dryer. The few that dont are day boats or the company has a washer/dryer available at the dock. Me personally I try to bring 7 days worth of clothes and a few extra pairs of socks, and during the summer a few pairs of long pants and in the winter a few pairs of shorts and a light jacket or hoodie during the summer (you never know where they might send you) I bring my own bed sheets and pillows although most tugs have their own but I like the idea of using my own stuff that I know is clean and doesnt have anyones man juice or hair on them. Its a good idea to bring a pair of flip flops to wear when you are off watch or showering I wear sneakers on the boat because we arent required to have steel toed boots but other places I worked required them. The office will tell you what if anything they supply. I wouldnt count on them issueing you a uniform or company logo’d shirts for free. If you are knocking on doors I would bring the boots just in case. I also bring other assorted stuff like soap and shampoo and a bath towel.

I pretty much do what KennyW does but i also bring rain gear which i always sweat more than id get wet in. I also carry a 2 knives and if I have room Ill bring extra steel toe boots.

Thanks guys, good info. Keep it coming.

Extra tuff rain boots or as we call them on the west coast (Alaska Sneakers), and some decent work gloves. And don’t forget your passport if you have one.

I think 6-7 days change is good…I also make sure I have 2 flashlights I also keep a small pelican light on a lanyard around my neck and tucked away just in case…Extra gloves is another biggy for me…

a ball cap for sunny days and a good watch cap for cold days/nights. a pair of sunglasses and some good sunblock ( i like bullfrog). ive been bringing my own inflatable life vest (like what the pilots wear), it seems like boats either have all extra small or extra extra extra large. and most important if you can afford to do it, at least 100 bucks (more if you can) stashed in your wallet, you just never know.

I never travel without my Sony Ebook reader and my Ipod. I use the Ebook reader to relax my self to sleep when off watch. The ipod will come in handy when you have one of those long boring jobs out on deck, like rolling out non skid.

Other than that, try to pack as light as you can.

The only white’s I bring are white socks. I’m not doing separate loads for coloreds and whites, everything goes in together for one load. Don’t forget your knife.

[B]Fishing tackle, fillet knife, makeup, curling iron, pumps, sports bras, and Channel #5.[/B]

So these were my seabags when I signed-off my last ship:

• seabags, three (3)
  • duffel bag
  • suitcase
  • backpack
  • box, 12x12x18
  • xbox, boxed
  • 32" TV, boxed
  • floor sweeper

Sounds about right for 18 months aboard an MSC ship. (There was more but that stuff went into the dumpster.) The scary thing is lots of people had much more than I did!

Quality knee pads, sweat bands for head and wrists.

I recoginze the sn from THT. Welcome aboard!

I try to limit myself to 2 bags and a back pack. Laptop, dvds, ipod and camera and documents go in the backpack, eveything else goes in the other 2 bags. I use ALPINE DESGN duffles, i think they are 16" x 40"ish.

A powerstrip. hard to belive this hasnt been mentioned before.

Cell phone charger
hair clippers (depends on legth or hair and length of hitch)
fishing kit (yo-yo rig)
Cash, for the hick town you will inevitabaly stop at on the way to the boat.

Work

2 mini mag ligts or led lights(i paid $6 for a 2 pack at lowes) - one stays in my room, the other goes with me on watch, day or night
knife (syderco police,stainless, full serated, shard enought to shave a gnats balls)
on deck, a cresent wrench… you will figgure it out.(hatch cover dogs, shackles, ect…)
leather gloves, but most companies will give you these readily
good sunglasses, put a string on your costas
handheld vhf (not a big deal, most dont carry, but its nice to know what is going on and be able to have coms while out on the tow or out f sight from the wheelhouse)

clothes and misc.

1 pack of socks and 1 pack or drawers… wash and wear while on the boat, toss them on jump day…- less clothes to wash and less crap to lug through the airport
couple of pairs of dickies coveralls, (think wash one, wear one)
shorts and sweats for off watch
hoodie for chilly nights(even in summer- our galley is like a damn meat locker)
I bring 3 sheets, one for the rack, 2 to cover with. Bring a pillow too, most are left behind from the last guy that never washed his greasy head.
Float coat if your working in a cold area(way better than a life jacket over a heavy coat)
Steeltoe boots and some gold bond powder (keeps your feet functional longer, plus your room mate will thank you if you have stinky feet)

you will always carry more crap than you need, but if you leave something at home you will need that item.

[QUOTE=KennyW1983;51702]I bring my own bed sheets and pillows although most tugs have their own but I like the idea of using my own stuff that I know is clean and doesnt have anyones man juice or hair on them. [/QUOTE]

Mattress pad to put between your sheets and the above referenced matter.

If you come to work in the GOM I would only pack the necessities. Whatever company you get hired on with you will be the new guy. That means there will be a good chance you will be moving all this shit from boat to boat for a while. Hopefully you will get lucky and this won’t happen. Anybody on this site that has ever worked for a GOM Crew Boat company that has more than one boat know this is very possible. PACK LIGHT. Once you have established a home on a boat then you can start bringing some of the Comforts of home with you. Sleeping bag and toiletry items along with a few changes of clothes and skivvies. Bring a lot of shit you don’t need and you may regret it. Good Luck

[QUOTE=NAUTICART;51748][B]Fishing tackle, fillet knife, makeup, curling iron, pumps, sports bras, and Channel #5.[/B][/QUOTE] Don’t forget your knee pads…

Easy Steve!