What good is a DDE 1000hp

What good is a DDE 1000hp?

What type of boats are out there that such a license would be relevant?

there are a few shady tug companies where you could go with that license.

1 Like

There are also companies that don’t even require that much of their “engineers”. Very few boats are large enough to require a DDE license, but less than 1000hp. If a boat is actually large enough to legally require a licensed engineer, they are either over 4000hp or the company wants you to have a Chief (ltd). It will be a better use of ones application fee to just get another year of sea time for the DDE 4000. I don’t know what the difference in the tests are, but I can’t imagine they are much different.

I’m not an engineer, but I suggest: get every USCG license you can, as soon as you can. Do not worry about the trivial (half day of pay) application fee. You will be more employable at a higher day rate with a license even if a license is not technically required. I do not know about the USCG engineer license tracks, but its usually faster and easier to upgrade from a USCG license that you hold, than to get an original license. With DDE 1000hp license it should not be too hard to find unlicensed deckhand/engineer jobs on crew boats that are around 4000 hp.

1 Like

If you work on a ship with less then 1000 hp then your are running the risk of having a HP limitation on your 3rd AE. IIRC QMED time on a ship under 1000hp doesnt count twords your 3rds. I say get one more year of sea time as a QMED and then test for your DDE4000, C/E OSV 4000hp 3000gt, and your Engineer OSV Unlimited HP. You could then run as an engineer on any OSV under 3000gt or be chief on the smaller OSV’s under 4000 HP.

I don’t even have a QMED. All the engine room jobs I have had were from @1200hp-10,000hp. “Engineer”/deckhand to engine utility. Looking at the sea time requirements it seems I may qualify for QMED and DDE 1000. If the test is the same for DDE 1000 and then just sea time is needed to upgrade I might do that. Some deck licenses are like that.

I am renewing my deck license right now. Practicing with Seasources.net, the engine questions sure are easier than deck, mostly logical. Deck questions are a lot of memorization.

[QUOTE=KPEngineer;74585]There are also companies that don’t even require that much of their “engineers”. Very few boats are large enough to require a DDE license, but less than 1000hp. If a boat is actually large enough to legally require a licensed engineer, they are either over 4000hp or the company wants you to have a Chief (ltd). It will be a better use of ones application fee to just get another year of sea time for the DDE 4000. I don’t know what the difference in the tests are, but I can’t imagine they are much different.[/QUOTE]

Even though crew boats do not require an engineer in the US, there are several that have gone overseas and other flag states require one. A lot of the Chouest crew boats operating international (Brazil) require a DDE unlimited as a minimum on a crew boat.

[QUOTE=Jim Schneider;74664]I don’t even have a QMED. All the engine room jobs I have had were from @1200hp-10,000hp. “Engineer”/deckhand to engine utility. Looking at the sea time requirements it seems I may qualify for QMED and DDE 1000. If the test is the same for DDE 1000 and then just sea time is needed to upgrade I might do that. Some deck licenses are like that. [/QUOTE]Sorry, you can’t go from unlicensed to licensed without a test. With DDE 4000 you can also get “Any unlicensed rating in the Engine Department”

For DDE licenses, HP of your previous vessels doesn’t matter. It is all about time. Unless there is some benefit in your current job to having the DDE 1000 I would just wait to get the time for DDE 4000. Every job announcement I’ve ever seen for engineers requires a DDE 4000 as the minimum.

Looking at the age requirement of 18, it would be a good step for a kid coming off small crewboats or fishing boats.

He was talking about going from dde 1000 to dde 4000 without testing. Hence him saying get the dde 1000 then upgrade with just time. Do they let you do that or is the test for 4000 harder?

DDE 1000 and 4000 are the same test. Interesting though, no mention in either the CFR or MSM on whether you have to test at both levels. My guess would be that it will all depend on your evaluator.

I took the dde 1000 test last month. I asked the same question while I was there. The lady issuing the tests told me there are two dde test one for the limited (1000 & 4000) and one for unlimited. The difference includes an electrical test for the unlimited. I thought the 4000 test had more questions than the 1000, ask a uscg nmc evaluator to get a definite answer. As far as difficulty goes the test are the same just more questions. Furthermore, when I summited my application I applied for DDE 1000, Chief Engineer OSV 1000 and Engineer Unlimited OSV and Qmed-oiler. I was issued the said licenses and “Any ulic eng rating” which includes all Qmed ratings - this is typicaly issued when applying for engineering lic over 4000. I hope all of this helps.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;74767]He was talking about going from dde 1000 to dde 4000 without testing. Hence him saying get the dde 1000 then upgrade with just time. Do they let you do that or is the test for 4000 harder?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=critter;74797]when I summited my application I applied for DDE 1000, Chief Engineer OSV 1000 and Engineer Unlimited OSV and Qmed-oiler. I was issued the said licenses and “Any ulic eng rating” which includes all Qmed ratings - this is typicaly issued when applying for engineering lic over 4000.[/QUOTE]

I just spoke with a licensing agent who said that, from his experience, they will not issue a limit of 1000hp on a OSV license only 4000 or Unlimited hp.

I was intending to apply for DDE 1000 and QMED, and anything else I could get. He said they no longer accept applications for QMED without the specific ratings being requested at the same time, such as, refrig, elec, etc.

If you were able to get them I guess I should at least request them and see what happens.

Oh, recency. I don’t have it. Luckily QMED doesn’t require it.

You should also request Chief Engineer (OSV) 3000 ITC Limited to your 1000 restriction and Engineer (OSV) 3000 ITC Unlimited. Engineer (OSV) Unlimited should make you eligable for “Any Unlic Engine Rgt” because it’s over 4,000 hp. Check out the check lists on NMC’s webite for both Licenses however it does not mention anything about ratings. If you meet the criteria for DDE 1000 you should be good or maybe I got lucky…

"MARINERS WANTED

1. Deckhand OS Ordinary Seaman
  2. Deckhand AB Able Bodied Seaman Special
  3. Engineer DDE - 1000HP - 3rd Assist. Engineer
    We need to assemble crew for fill-in assignments. We are creating events to entertain people. The boat is a beautiful remodeled retired ferry. A very unique crewing opportunity, from the unique boat to the unique activities on board. Crew will gain experience for continuing boat work and be part of a fun working environment. In Seattle operating form port at Lake Union voyaging Lake Washington and the Puget Sound. The Hiyu is a 498 GT vessel."

This is an example. It is probably a very rare occurrence of converging criteria. The vessel is just shy of 498 GT and requires a manned engine room for COI. Yet it is under 1000 Horsepower. The very minimum requirement is actually a DDE - 1000 HP. I don’t know how often that actually fits into COI requirements for vessels, but this anecdote shows it does happen.

Pretty sure they got their question answered already if the thread has been dead for 6 years bud.

That’s cool, dude.