What do you call people aboard ship?

Ok so I thought I had this 3/m thing wrapped up then last week I called the C/M ‘chief’ and the Chief Engineer blew his lid. So here’s the lsit I have so far and please fix or add to it.

<strong>Captain</strong>
‘Captain’ to his face, otherwise ‘old man’
<strong>Chief Mate</strong>
‘The Mate’
<strong>2/m</strong>
first name is ok
<strong>3/m</strong>
Just don’t call me suzy
<strong>Bosun</strong>
Bos,
<strong>AB</strong>
First Names ok
<strong>Chief Eng</strong>
The Chief
<strong>1st A/E</strong>
First

Bosun = Boats

Russian variant:

[B]Captain[/B]
‘Captain or Master’ to his face, no otherwise ‘Captain or Master’
[B]Chief Mate[/B]
‘Chief Mate’ or in russian pronunciation - ‘star. pom.’ short from ‘starshiy pomoshnick’ —not to his face
[B]2/m[/B]
first name is ok
[B]3/m[/B]
first name is ok
[B]Bosun[/B]
first name is ok - to his face, otherwise ‘Dragon’
[B]AB[/B]
First Names ok
[B]Chief Eng[/B]
“grandpa” or in russian pronunciation - ‘[d’jed]’ which means grandpa.
[B]1, 2, 3, Eng - [/B]just as mates[B].

[/B]
But usually when younger address older, he calls older’s name + older’s father’s name + “ich”.
For example: “Sergey Petrovich, allow to address to you” - where “Sergey” - name of the older; “Petr” - older’s father’s name and “ich”. It is also used when they both are coevals.
P.S. sorry for my bad English.

Danish ship - everybody by name. Even the Captain. I almost shit myself the second day I was there and the deck cadet walked in and addressed the Captain by name. I wasn’t really used to it, but after a week or two, you get used to it. I called the Chief Engineer “Chief” only because it was easier than his name.

3m07,
They apparently forgot to teach you any manners at that Academy. The fact that you “have it wrapped up” and don’t even know how to address people in a respectful manner is amazing. IF you can not even master basic manners, I would hate to see how you do your job. Maybe you should grow up a bit, before you “wrap up” your next upgrade.

[QUOTE=3m07;6616]Ok so I thought I had this 3/m thing wrapped up then last week I called the C/M ‘chief’ and the Chief Engineer blew his lid. So here’s the lsit I have so far and please fix or add to it.

<strong>Captain</strong>
‘Captain’ to his face, otherwise ‘old man’
<strong>Chief Mate</strong>
‘The Mate’
<strong>2/m</strong>
first name is ok
<strong>3/m</strong>
Just don’t call me suzy
<strong>Bosun</strong>
Bos,
<strong>AB</strong>
First Names ok
<strong>Chief Eng</strong>
The Chief
<strong>1st A/E</strong>
First[/QUOTE]
I’ve heard the Chief Engineer refered to as " Chief of all engineers"…they seem to like that.

I think i can sum it up in one word

call us all HARDWORKING

and you can call me MR 100-ton:cool:

[quote=Stareed;10049]3m07,
They apparently forgot to teach you any manners at that Academy. The fact that you “have it wrapped up” and don’t even know how to address people in a respectful manner is amazing. IF you can not even master basic manners, I would hate to see how you do your job. Maybe you should grow up a bit, before you “wrap up” your next upgrade.[/quote]

I find it ironic how you wrote “They apparently forgot to teach you any manners.” My friend, I believe YOU are the one who they forgot to teach any manners to. Reread your post…if you cannot detect a hint of absurdity than perhaps you are the one who should grow up a bit. :wink:

Anyways, I find this post interesting! I always enjoy to learn more from people actually in the industry in which I would like to work.
Cheers!
Thomas

1st= Needyata [need you to]
2nd= Yzat [why’s that not working?]
3rd= Jesus [ jayzus keerist what the fuck have you done now!]

tbritt,
Perhaps you are correct, I may have been to critical of the gentlemen. I don’t really know how he preforms his duties while on watch. For that I apoligize.
I was however rather surprised at the cavalier way that he referred to his position, while at the same to asking the public-at-large how to address his superior officers. Those men who he is concerned about speaking to have spent years of hard work and time away from their loved ones to attain the position that which they hold, and should be treated as such. Any mariner that is trying to be professional should take the time to sit back and learn the way things are done. I am sure that if he had referred to all of his superiors as Sir, or Mam until he was aware of the proper and accepted way to address them, this post would be unnecessary.

[quote=Stareed;10143]tbritt,
Perhaps you are correct, I may have been to critical of the gentlemen. I don’t really know how he preforms his duties while on watch. For that I apoligize.
I was however rather surprised at the cavalier way that he referred to his position, while at the same to asking the public-at-large how to address his superior officers. Those men who he is concerned about speaking to have spent years of hard work and time away from their loved ones to attain the position that which they hold, and should be treated as such. Any mariner that is trying to be professional should take the time to sit back and learn the way things are done. I am sure that if he had referred to all of his superiors as Sir, or Mam until he was aware of the proper and accepted way to address them, this post would be unnecessary. [quote]

Ah, I see what you mean. Being a mate, master, or anything on a vessel in my eyes is a very respectable position…and even more so if you have progressed in rank. I can see how it should be very important to know how to address your seniors and respect them. Nevertheless, we will all make a mistake I guess, be it minor, or (hopefully not) serious…but we also learn from them. I hope someone will bust my chops for making a mistake when I am new just so I don’t make the mistake twice. However I just thought rudeness and putting someone in place are 2 different things. Very respectable of yourself to follow up on my remark, my hat is off to you sir. No hard feelings!

Anyways, sorry to be off topic, thanks again guys for the cool forum! I really hope to have more to contribute in the future when I get my feet wet. :slight_smile: