What are some of your hobbies at home?

[QUOTE=john;100584]Why do my posts often seem to stop the conversation ;)[/QUOTE]

hate to break it to you like this John but it’s your breath…

you really have to lay off those raw garlic and onion pizzas…

just saying is all

[QUOTE=john;100427]The only hobbies that have lasted since childhood are sailing and camping deep in the woods but…

I have shared many of the same passions. Surfing, classic cars, making sawdust, making sparks, climbing, skiing, fishing, scuba/spearfishing, camping, antique chart collecting, photography and - most recently - guns. It drives my wife kinda nuts that I don’t stick to one thing and I’ve only recently figured why… my hobby is curiosity (i.e. figuring out how sh!t works). I tend towards activities that are expensive (i.e. require a lot of gear) and are difficult/complicated. I buy the gear I need then I like to figure out how to do it simpler, with the least amount of gear possible… then I sell the non-essential stuff to pay for the next hobby.

So today I still surf occasionally, but I only own one board. I still scuba dive but don’t have a fancy dive computer or regulator. I still take photos but I only have one really good camera (a 7d) and one really good lens (24-105mm f/4l). I still like to drive fast but I only have one fast car ('79 vette)…

So my hobby is curiosity, which is awesome because I have two young kids at home who are even more curious than me… we spend a lot of time on the water, in the backyard and in the woods figuring out stuff together!

(P.S. This is also why I started this forum… I was simply curious about how other mariners do things different).[/QUOTE]

The 7D is a good camera, but I am a Nikon guy, As far as the lens, for general use, it is pretty good, but step up to a faster lens (oh, say an 2.8) and just see the difference. My lens of choice now is a 70 - 300mm f/2.8, and I shoot with a D-300. I plan to move up to a D-800 soon. I have made the mistake of taking on racing photography, and I don’t know that I will ever really master it. I learn new things every time I shoot a show. It can also get a bit dicey at times, what with speeding cars coming at you and not always turning away, so there can be an adrenaline rush. . . I also like shooting ships, but I find it difficult to get the time; unless I am down on the waterfront, that is.

Well, today I was working on my 30 year old backhoe with a Detroit Diesel 3-53 and I blew a hole in the fuel line when I contacted it with my wrench which was 12 volts hot. It’s a bit more then a pin hole. Should I just patch it with epoxy? It’s a low pressure line from strainer to pump.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;102260]Well, today I was working on a 30 year old backhoe with a Detroit Diesel 3-53 and I blew a hole in the fuel line when I contacted it with my wrench which was 12 volts hot. It’s a bit more then a pin hole. Should I just patch it with epoxy? It’s a low pressure line from strainer to pump.[/QUOTE]

You must live down the coast by Rockland or Boothbay. Everyone up that way has a dozer, backhoe, or excavator or several in the yard. A guy I know at Maersk restores fire trucks and dozers and sells them. He showed me his collection in a field at his house. He sells them (Fire Trucks) to Latin American countries and they ship the fire engines down on ships.

[QUOTE=Too bad steam is gone;102262]You must live down the coast by Rockland or Boothbay. Everyone up that way has a dozer, backhoe, or excavator or several in the yard. A guy I know at Maersk restores fire trucks and dozers and sells them. He showed me his collection in a field at his house. He sells them (Fire Trucks) to Latin American countries and they ship the fire engines down on ships.[/QUOTE]

Ha! You’re close! That sort of thing thins out “up” this way.

I’d have more status in this neighborhood if I had anold Franklin skidder in running condition.

I like to cook. I’m pretty good at it and I’m always willing to try out another recipe. besides, although I’m home on vacation, the woman has to work Monday through Friday and that gives her a break. She’s an appreciative audience too. I get a lot of my meat fresh from the local Amish farms. Got a smoker for Christmas and put that together the other day. I also got some Porterhouse steaks from Omaka Steak for Christmas. I never smoked a steak before. It was awesome.

Just cut out the section with the hole and put in some hose rated for fuel… Double hose clamps on either side and you’re off like pants at a picnic.

Make the hose patch extra long, it’s a good insulator for the next time…

Cheers

Writing books- I have two published, and two in the works. All grain home brewing, although I’d like to give distillation a try someday. A forever-project car, '79 MGB. I’ve always liked roadsters.

[QUOTE=Sea Opus;102345]Writing books- I have two published, and two in the works. All grain home brewing, although I’d like to give distillation a try someday.[/QUOTE]

Well Well Well, [ATTACH]3148[/ATTACH]

The greatest words ever said, “Relax. Have a homebrew.”

[QUOTE=Sea Opus;102350]The greatest words ever said, “Relax. Have a homebrew.”[/QUOTE]

“I think I’ll have a homebrew; my own, And of course relax and not worry.”

Have one for me as well. I’m at work.

Hiking in the woods, surfing the net, short wave radio, fishing, target shooting (occasionaly), meeting up with friends for a few drinks once in a while. Ued to work out, swim and surf a good bit but I haven’t done those in a good while.

Doing silly things with boats is sort of a hobby… Wanted to learn Z Drive boat driving, without like, getting a job and a pay cut. (Was making way more as a boat mechanic). Few beers later and this thing was Sawzalled beyond the point of no return.

Feeding stray cats, raccoons, humming birds, doves, small birds…Swimming at YMCA when at home… keeping busy…

surfing, surfing, surfin, windsurfing, loading up the dogs in the jeep and offroading, spending quality time with the wive and playing the guitar

I like vegetable gardening, messing around with fancy nautical knotwork (turks heads, globe knots, etc. etc.) I also like making stuff out of 550 paracord, like monkey fist keychains, survival bracelets & the like. And of course one of my faves is I like all things “tactical”. Guns, knives, flashlights, you name it… If its got “tactical” in the name, I LIKE IT!! :wink:

Spending time with my son!! Enjoying been a dad!!

Surfing at home in San Diego. Wish I was there now.