Water testing

MLC brought in long overdue requirements that safe drinking water provided under regulated hygienic conditions should be supplied to ships. Presumably as part of that requirement ships should be have to have certification that their tanks have been tested to ensure that they are safe to hold water that will be used to prepare food and for showering in. Does anyone know what the international requirements are for periodic testing? If there are any requirements, what things does the test have to test for?

Things that water can be tested for are mainly: E Coli & Coliform bacteria, chlorine, pH, total bacteria count (HPC), Legionella bacteria, colour, turbidity, Intestinal Enterococci

There are pretty clear testing regimes for OSVs supplying Offshore Installations, but I can’t find specific international requirements.

The below links are of useful reference:

https://www.martek-marine.com/blog/ensuring-compliance-potable-water-testing-regulations-ships-complete-guide/

Typical Water Management: take samples every 6 months for analysis. minimum 3 samples, at least from galley, show hospital and one other spot, preference is to take a sample on every deck.
Test for chlorine content, bacteria and specifically fro Legionairs disease. In europe the maximum allowed amount of Coliform bacteria for Legionairs will differ in each country. I know that the Netherlands is more relaxed that way than Germany for instance.

In the early 1980’s I visited a rig under repair in Stavanger, Norway. Having been in port for some weeks they had been unable to produce FW, thus had to take on city water supply.

The Medic/Nurse, following standard routine, took her quarterly water samples and sent it ashore for analysis. When the test result came back it stated that the water did not meet offshore standard and was unsuitable for drinking without boiling.

I kept a log and sampled water daily, it was required (except some fish boats). the aforementioned sample had to be taken from a different place every day.