WA Dept of Ecology proposed No Discharge Zone for Puget Sound. Public Meeting:

A proposal to seek designation of Puget Sound as a No Discharge Zone (NDZ) for sewage effluent from vessels (even effluent processed through a Coast Guard-approved Marine Sanitation Device) is under serious consideration. Such a designation will impact any vessel that currently discharges sewage effluent into the Puget Sound waters.

There will be an important informational meeting with the Washington State Department of Ecology regarding the establishment of the Puget Sound No-Discharge Zone at 10 AM on this coming Monday November 25, 2013 at the offices of the North Pacific Fishing Vessel Owners Association in Seattle.

If Washington State petitions for a No Discharge Zone and the U.S. EPA approves the petition, any vessel without a holding tank that has made an investment in Type II Coast Guard-approved marine sanitation devices will be affected. The vessel will probably have to be reconfigured to install a holding tank.

There is a serious question about the availability of shoreside pump-out facilities to accommodate commercial vessels in Puget Sound. Most pumpout facilities are coin-operated systems in recreational marinas like Roche Harbor and Shilshole Bay. In order for the NDZ to work, either the state or industry would need to undertake a substantial development project for this infrastructure. Another option is a mobile pump-out facility - like vacuum trucks or barges. In this case, it would be an additional ongoing operating cost to the vessel operator.

A representative of the State Department of Ecology expressed her belief that commercial passenger vessels operating in Puget Sound do not typically discharge sewage effluent. She believes that such vessels have sufficient holding tanks and places at which to pump out shoreside.

Please note that even though this meeting is at NPFVOA, all sectors of the maritime industry are invited. If a NDZ would affect operators of commercial passenger vessels in Puget Sound, they should be represented in person.

Holy effing Christ! How on earth can these pinheads justify a vessel not be allowed to discharge [B]“treated”[/B] effluent in Puget Sound?

FOR GOD’S SAKE! IT’S TREATED JUST LIKE METRO DISCHARGES TREATED WASTEWATER INTO THE SOUND AT WEST POINT!

FUCK THIS SHIT! NOW I AM PISSED! SOME FUCKING GOOBERMENT!

Just a proposal that will need to go though all sorts of hoops before ever becoming law. Be aware but not scared.

Remember in 2008 when there was a proposal that deck wash and cooling water from ANY boat would need a water discharge permit? Whether it be a Supertanker or canoe? Another dumb idea that got shot down before seeing the light of day.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;124808]Be aware but not scared.[/QUOTE]

AH FUCK’eM ALL…FUCKING PENCILNECK GEEKS!

Remember, if this becomes a regulation, it will only apply to vessels with “installed toilets”. I say rip em out and increase your bladder capacity!

[QUOTE=Scallywag;124828]Remember, if this becomes a regulation, it will only apply to vessels with “installed toilets”. I say rip em out and increase your bladder capacity![/QUOTE]

or pee over the side.

Years ago we were told that there was going to be a section of the Hudson River in N.Y. that was going to be a Zero Discharge Area for Treated Black Water. I just happened to be at our company dock so I told my Port Engineer that we were already in total compliance. He looked at and said Great, How did you do it. The look on his face was priceless when I told him that we Did Not Treat our black water as the MSD was shot. He got pissed and started yelling but shut up when I refereed him to our Monthly Reports, the last six months all reported it. I have never seen a total MSD system replaced that fast.

I am retied now but getting these vessels Inspected is way too many years in coming, that is if they ever do it!!!