USS Zumwalt breaks down in the Panama Canal

And the hits just keep on coming - http://gcaptain.com/builders-escape-costs-navy-hook-littoral-combat-ships/

Will the incoming administration be able to stop this insanity?

one hit was direct to my head which just detonated…film at 11

Will the incoming administration be able to stop this insanity?

of course not

Apparently these types of contracts are not uncommon. I worked in one federal agency where office drones would accept delivery of vessels without setting foot onboard. It fell to the operators to deal with the ever present shoddy workmanship and on more than one occasion the use of non CG approved materials in engine spaces.
The same office drones would bitch and whine when the captains spent money out of their operations budgets to make the vessels functional and safe but not once did it ever cross their minds to consider holding the builder accountable.
Instead of addressing the problem head on, they just moved more money into our budgets and continued using the same builder.

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;193090]And the hits just keep on coming - http://gcaptain.com/builders-escape-costs-navy-hook-littoral-combat-ships/

Will the incoming administration be able to stop this insanity?[/QUOTE]

I suppose they could rant about it in 140 characters (or less).

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;193095]Apparently these types of contracts are not uncommon. I worked in one federal agency where office drones would accept delivery of vessels without setting foot onboard. It fell to the operators to deal with the ever present shoddy workmanship and on more than one occasion the use of non CG approved materials in engine spaces.
The same office drones would bitch and whine when the captains spent money out of their operations budgets to make the vessels functional and safe but not once did it ever cross their minds to consider holding the builder accountable.
Instead of addressing the problem head on, they just moved more money into our budgets and continued using the same builder.[/QUOTE]

My cough agency is guilty of that and it’s one reason why we have such shoddy crap on our hands. We have people who do not know how to or are not willing to hold a builder accountable to the specifications.

This is the worst possible form of corruption and kleptocracy. It involves every single politician who allowed this to happen and every admiral who did not object to the point of resigning, and the owners and managers of the shipyards involved. They knowingly created a scheme whereby none of them are held responsible for their acts or omissions and they knowingly placed the financial burden of this corrupt process on the taxpayer who has no voice in how their money is squandered.

I think there is one business practice we should consider importing from China … the penalty for corruption.

[QUOTE=catherder;193098]My cough agency is guilty of that and it’s one reason why we have such shoddy crap on our hands. We have people who do not know how to or are not willing to hold a builder accountable to the specifications.[/QUOTE]

Incompetence is rampant but deliberate action is part of it. Civilian heads of departments in federal agencies have no incentive to exercise budget restraint. In fact the system encourages them to do the exact opposite. The incentive is to spend more money year after year in a conscious effort to outdo other so called “managers” in the game of budget allocation. It’s the lazy man’s way to climb up the GS ladder and what’s good for the country doesn’t enter into it.

One of the ships in the NOAA fleet operated on a shoe string budget but the CME never got any recognition for it AT ALL. And their newer ships are sink holes for the dollar bill. Fiscal responsibility is so outdated, square, idiotic, who cares, etc. etc. Mentioned above no one is help responsible and with digital money and money allocation being entirely political whaddya expect? The real question is: what could possibly turn it around?

Obviously one should have another beer before writing such a complex reply!, congrats to Colaron for getting it together!, I’ll go hide for a couple weeks!

This article doesn’t even mention the Navy, but there appears to be enough waste in other branches to go around: http://fpif.org/pentagons-125-billion-cover/