USMMA Waitlist

No it’s an easy word to say just like y’all. I thought all these institutions of higher learning were a little more cosmopolitan these days. I thought they were all inclusive and accepting of everyone regardless of where they come from. You wouldn’t make fun of a Nigerian fella and the way he speaks would you. Why would you make fun of a fella for saying y’all? This reminds me of being the only hick onboard a ship full of Yankee academy kids. There was a 3rd from Brooklyn who always spoke to me using a fake southern accent. So one day he’s telling me how dumb and ignorant I sounded. I told him my mother and grand mother used words like “ain’t” and “y’all”. I then asked him if he was calling my mom and granny dumb ignorant hicks, because if he was it was about to be a problem. He saw it my way and we were cool after that. I just doesn’t seem modern to ridicule someone for those reasons. It seems to perpetuate old stereotypes. I can understand Yankee and often have to interpret for others. Speak Yankee at a thousand miles an hour all ou want I just can’t speak it. :wink:

I personally don’t use “y’all” but according to Yankees I am from the south so here are my thoughts on it.

I do not think it is proper grammar so if you were applying to a job or in a formal setting with someone that was not southern I would refrain from saying it. If you are in the south I don’t think it would matter if you used it in a interview so long as that person that was interviewing you was southern.

It is stupid that some people think because someone has a southern accent that they are “uneducated” but it is the world we live in. But speaking of proper grammar there is a common grammar issue at SUNY that I would like your all’s take on. Do you pronounce the word turbine as turban or do your pronounce it with the “i”.

There is a professor here that goes off if you pronounce it as turbine and says you are a rich uppity brat.

Haha I remember hearing about him. I always said “turbine”, he’s just crazy. Of course engineering instructors are allowed to be a little odd.

Annual Cost of attendance for TMA can be found here.
http://www.tamug.edu/finaid/NoMenu/COA%20for%20LO.html

Multiply that by 4 and it is less than you can make in your first year out of school as 3M or 3AE. Look around on that website or any other Maritime Academy website and there is a lot of information how you can get the money to pay for school. Make no mistake they want you to be able to give them money, it is their damn job to make it easy for you to find/borrow money to give them and they are good at it. It doesn’t take a lot of effort to get the loans, when I was in school I found it damn right disturbing how few mouse clicks it took to get thousands of dollars in loans.

If you are on the USMMA waitlist apply to the state academies while you still have time. 4 years of tuition will cost less than delaying the start of your career will cost you in the long run. Delaying getting your 3rd by one year delays every other step of your career by one year. Don’t sit around waiting for a call that might never come, aggressively pursue your professional advancement every year of your teens and 20’s, don’t waste any of them.

It is your life and your career and at the end of they day nobody really gives a damn about it but you, the person picking names off that waiting list sure as hell doesn’t care.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;156015]Cuz it’s a Southern thang 'n eberbody no’s dem southern hillbillies hain’t got no learnins.
Sheeet, eberbody no’s da bestist skools are uppen da northeast where we all talk rite normal like.

“Y’all” - It jist sounds ignate.

Edit: OK, silly shit aside. “Y’all” is a regional expression which does not get much use north of the Mason-Dixon. Best not to be used in an unfamiliar setting where you’re trying to make a good first impression. Once a level of familiarity is achieved, it’s fine.[/QUOTE]

Having lived in the south now for over 30 years, I hate to admit that “y’all” is very much in my routine vocabulary. . . . And while I am considered a grammar Nazi here at work, hearing “you guys” just gets me like fingernails on a chalkboard. . . . I have even been known to use an “axe” or two when down on the bayou. . . .

That’s right, I’ve been accepted my
Mass and California maritime, and awaiting SUNY And Maine maritime on their letters

[QUOTE=Mate_Zac;156163]That’s right, I’ve been accepted my
Mass and California maritime, and awaiting SUNY And Maine maritime on their letters[/QUOTE]

That’s good man you look you you’re on top of your shit which says a lot especially since your in high school still.