USMMA prep program

welcome to your alma matter sonny…the finest maritime training school anywhere

have no worries that the place may be too tough for you to endure, I know you’ll have no trouble fitting right in and the mettle to take the trauma

Are you a hawsepipe or academy?

[QUOTE=Mate_Zac;159827]Are you a hawsepipe or academy?[/QUOTE]

I’m neither…when my mammy brunged me into the wurld I came with me own license attached

now quit asking such impertinent questions you young’n or I may need to get me pointy stick out

Fair enough. Maybe I will be lucky enough to be able to work the same ship with the mariner God c.captain himself

[QUOTE=Mate_Zac;159832]Fair enough. Maybe I will be lucky enough to be able to work the same ship with the mariner God c.captain himself[/QUOTE]

that’s better lad…mind your manners now

O man this forum is too much, got me rolling.

[QUOTE=Mate_Zac;159827]Are you a hawsepipe or academy?[/QUOTE]

Not that it matters but, he’s a Kings Pointer.

[QUOTE=Polaris;159875]Not that it matters but, he’s a Kings Pointer.[/QUOTE]

and what proof do you possess for this blasphemous statement?

you don’t got nothing on me copper…

[QUOTE=c.captain;159877]and what proof do you possess for this blasphemous statement?

you don’t got nothing on me copper…[/QUOTE]

I know more than you think.

[QUOTE=Polaris;159878]I know more than you think.[/QUOTE]

lovely, another extortion artist in our midst…you must be buddies with AHTS master?

well, I still think you are ok because you have a photo of Frank Worsleyas your avatar.

now, there was a captain’s captain!

Unraveling the mysteries behind c.captain is like giving the identity behind meow man. Both online thread legends haha

[QUOTE=Mate_Zac;159882]Unraveling the mysteries behind c.captain is like giving the identity behind meow man. Both online thread legends haha[/QUOTE]

a pointy stick wrapped in storm canvas inside a 16"AP shell

the man in the photo may or may not be me…who knows?

Dang that’s a pretty big shell, happy that wasn’t getting shot at me

[QUOTE=Polaris;159875]Not that it matters but…[/QUOTE]

Even If he did go to KP, it goes to show how many of their own despise the place!

I may know one way or another, however Its not my place to identify anyone on here as I’d hate to be outed myself.

[QUOTE=c.captain;159886]a pointy stick wrapped in storm canvas inside a 16"AP shell

the man in the photo may or may not be me…who knows?[/QUOTE]

I’d rather see you mashing bayoo buttons!

[QUOTE=z-drive;159921]I’d rather see you mashing bayoo buttons![/QUOTE]

NYAH! says you and what navee?

[QUOTE=awulfclark;159808]Ah, the class ring. I haven’t seen mine in almost a decade.

Anyway, I’m not necessarily saying KP is or isn’t a better option than the state schools, I was saying that it worked out well for me. I don’t have any statistics so I can’t really speculate on how many graduates from each school actually go to sea at all or how many are still shipping after five/ten/twenty years. My impression, though, is KP seems to be geared more toward someone who might want to go to sea for a short time then move ashore. Hell, the recruiting pitch when I was preparing to matriculate at that fine institution basically amounted to, “Hey, you don’t even really have to go to sea if you don’t want to!” Even though the obligation clearly states that graduates are supposed to seek seagoing jobs FIRST and only if there are no jobs available is shoreside work to be permitted during the obligation period. My senior year shipping suddenly blew wide open and KP and MARAD announced that they were going to actually hold us to that obligation we signed rather than rubber-stamping waivers; you should have seen the outcry from a large number of my classmates.

Back on track–one thing I would say is an advantage KP has over the other schools is the sea year aspect. The average KP grad will have sailed on roughly four different commercial ships during the sea year portion, whereas a state school grad may do one–a fair few state school students graduate without having ever been on anything other than the school ship. For me, it was invaluable seeing how shipping ACTUALLY worked, not some version of shipping cooked up by a training program. Being on multiple ships also allowed me to see a broader cross-section of the industry.

I would say KP or a state school would be better options than a workboat academy simply because the level of license gained allows for more options. Nothing wrong with workboat academies, if that was what one wanted to do and stick with it, fine, but it’s difficult to upgrade if something bigger is desired.

As far as whether the school needs to be taxpayer funded–I’m not particularly convinced it needs to be at this point. At least not unless KP provides something in graduates that nobody else does AND it’s of some value to the nation as a whole, and right now KP doesn’t seem to have it on both counts.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on pretty much all points. Class ring? Last time I saw mine was back in the 80s. . . . also the sea year training. I sailed on 6 ships during my sea year, and it inspired me to keep sailing. I did well at sea, eventually moving to tugs and ATBs and adapted well. . . before I came ashore. That said, does it serve the taxpayer to keep it open? With the current trend and climate in the merchant fleet, I am not so sure. The industry has changed so much since the time when I started there. . . sad, really.

Does that come withn one of these?

• Updated - - -

I lost mine a few years after graduating. Found it in a box of old crap about ten years ago, had it re-sized for my now chubbier finger and lost it again about a month later.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;159956]Does that come withn one of these?[/QUOTE]

they issue those during Indoc at Camp KPeewee

if they had any idea what idiots there kids appear, the administration there would never allow such photos to escape to the world beyond “the Village”

It seems obvious that questions about the value of KP to the taxpayer who foot the bill and the value to students getting an (almost) free ride are two separate questions.

I believe that “the ring” refers more to the reputation of the school and access to alumni networks rather then the actual ring.