Understanding China

Yes I have been to Europe a few times and know about the Customs Union and freedom of travel between countries that is part of the Schengen Agreement:

But Greece is situated such that all borders is to non-EU countries, thus any goods transported by rail or road has to go through other countries.
Any goods transshipped at Piraeus Port to ports in Northwest Europe has to go through Customs there.

That criminal gangs manage to cheat it not a surprise, that is what they do worldwide.

That nominally “honest” traders try to avoid customs duty and taxes by legal means are also not an unknown occurrence anywhere. Of course, if it has anything to do with Chinese firms it must be instigated by the “Communist Government”, while European or American cheats are just trying to maximise profit by whatever means available.

PS> Yes I know about Customs Seals on containers crossing borders.

Speaking of COSCO, they are now the proud owner and operator of the world’s biggest container ship. Built in China, with 90% Chinese made machinery and equipment.
From Maasmond Newsclippings today:

What? You mean they didn’t build it to run on batteries!

1 Like

the battery boats they built haul coal up the Yangtze.

1 Like

having stolen all the drawings from someone they just copied what already existed.
I cant see the Chinese have any technology less what everyone else has?

1 Like

You should get new glasses.

The electric powered inland/river ship is operating on the Pearl River, not Yangtze:

Trump asked them to stop stealing everything and if they agree the tariffs can go as quick as that, seems to be a stumbling block in the negotiations?
Why do they steal everything, what other reason than they have nothing?

The EU fixed it in 5 minutes, ok we drop the existing unfair tariffs, how easy was that.

No. Junker and Trump both said they would “look into zero tariffs and other trade barriers”.
EU would also look at the possibilities of importing more LNG at some time in the future, or at least look at the feasibility of building more receiving facilities.
A face saving exerciser for both sides to enable them from stepping away from a trade war between allies.

How will BRI affect shipping is a question many is asking. Here is one attempt at answering that:
https://splash247.com/how-the-belt-and-road-initiative-is-shaping-future-freight-trade/

China Navigation is making a quick buck:
https://splash247.com/china-navigation-pockets-3-5m-from-swift-asset-play/

This is what was agreed:

It got Trump out of a bad situation and cost Europe nothing.

Great, so Trump got Junkers to fly to America to get him out of trouble…such power!

https://www.news18.com/news/world/donald-trump-threatens-20-percent-us-tariff-on-eu-car-imports-1787539.html

“The United States currently imposes a 2.5 percent tariff on imported passenger cars from the European Union and a 25 percent tariff on imported pickup trucks. The EU imposes a 10 percent tariff on imported U.S. cars”.

The USA has been on the receiving end of a trade war for years, same with China.
Trump asking why, nobody seems to like that

1 Like

The European Union long ago decided to assemble cars in the USA to avoid the 2.5% tariff. The 25% tariff on imported pickup trucks? That is a solution in search of a problem. It is kinda like the USA threatening to force Europe to pay a duty on importing USA made snuff and chewing tobacco.

It was a tit-for-tat response to a long-ago situation where EU were complaining that the US was dumping chickens on them. People who would like to have a Volkswagen pickup truck are very displeased by it.

So trade wars are now about old grudges due to cheap USA factory produced chickens vs Volkswagen pickups that a few people wanted 40 years ago? Good God. But one must remember there is a middle schooler in charge in the USA now so it is understandable.

I didn’t say that. All I said was how the so-called “Chicken tax” on imported light trucks came to be, back in seventy-something I think. Nothing about grudges, nor any application to present-day other than that the 25% tariff still exists.

I mentioned Volkswagen AG because I happen to be an enthusiast of the T3 generation of VW Transporter, and we never saw the pickup versions in the US.

Last I knew Ford were getting around this by importing the small Transit van from Turkey with rear windows, seats, and seat belts. Right on the pier in Baltimore, all that stuff is stripped out and recycled as materials – what a waste! – and metal panels put in the window openings.

dont forget when it comes to food, the EU spends a gazillion dollars a year on protecting farmers
I can see some of that is to protect the land areas and see they are maintained but…
They will be using US computers and software to work that out…

PS you cant buy an Ozzie meat products in the UK due to EU tarrifs but you can by NZ lamb…
Wait till they start selling Ozzie Olive oil into Europe, way better and miles cheaper…
I dont think thats going to happen…

China started the trade war

The apologetic buffoonery from the Norwegian communist knows no limits does it comrade? Couching the mass starvation and executions of 70+ million Chinese before and during the cultural revolution as “excesses” is a new low for even a suicidal Norwegian as yourself.