Understanding China

Chinese love their i phones, I dont think they could do without them…
I wonder if its the phone or the fact they gov cant spy on them like all the Chinese phones?

How do you know that the IPhone is “safe”?
They are made in China. Maybe the Chinese have managed to slip in a little bug??

Or is it the Americans that have forced Apple to incorporate such feature in the design?
No, probably not. They are “listening” to all communication, regardless of who you are, or what means of communication you use. (Incl. this post)

They did. They forgot to add the headphone port.

2 Likes

Meanwhile the Great and Ancient continue to expand year on year…

https://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/cnco-expands-north-america-presence-with-new-office-in-vancouver/

1 Like

Swire is a British Conglomerate

But they understand China like no other. They get to see the Chinese leadership before any politicians and see tha way forward. Their routes to Canada and W Coast USA feed into their Pacific Island hubs and China / Asia / and to Hawaii / Guam / American Samoa.

1 Like

Is that a statement or a question??
Yes Swire is British by origin, but with a LOOOONG history in China and the Pacific.

BTW; The name of the company in Cantonese is Taikoo, which means “Great and Ancient”.

For those without knowledge of Swire, here is a short video that give the basic:
http://www.swire.com/en/global/video.php?file=https%3A%2F%2Fview.vzaar.com%2F6181023%2Fvideo

1 Like

China continues to spread influence

Crossing the straits like I do lots from Singapore to Batam power and sail, the volume of ships is 50% of what it was 10 years ago, so I dont think the world has expanded back to pre 2008 crash levels, maybe they just go 100% bigger so wiped out 50% of them?
You can pick a slot and sail on same tack straight across these days, gone are 5 ships abreast at different speed going each way in the old says, that made it a real sport.

No wonder China is getting rich. They just print money:

people still make paper currency and not plastic, thats a bit old fashioned and expensive in the long run

[quote=“powerabout, post:594, topic:45005”]

I don’t have figures for 2018 but 2017 was an all time high with over 84000 thru Malacca Straits.

Being out there i just cant believe it, who collates those figures?
Is that passing singapore, how about on East side?
If you ask anyone crossing in pleasure craft today they all say the same thing, crossing the straights theses days is no issue at all due to low traffic.

I will have to sit and watch the AIS and take a random sample but with 84,000/year
say 42000 each way / 8760hrs
4.8/hr
its not busy
I think they didnt count in the past, what are the chances of waves of 5 abreast like years ago going each way?

Counting shipping activity by how difficult it is to cross from Changi to Nongsa by ferry, or sailboat may not be the most scientific.
Actual statistics give an entirely different picture:

The traffic of VLCCs has doubled in the last decade:

Singapore Port is also busier than ever, with abt. 1000 ships within port limits at any given time and an arrival or departure every 2-3 min.:
https://www.mpa.gov.sg/web/portal/home/maritime-singapore/introduction-to-maritime-singapore/facts-and-trivia

Alibaba is forging ahead to introduce it’s cloud technology outside China and overtake the American giants in the process:

Facial recognition software, tired to my finances, with China in possession/control of the data… What could go wrong?

1 Like

Alibaba is a private Chinese owned company, not the Chinese Government.
Is it any better to have Google, Microsoft, Amazon or Facebook in control??
They are all known to cooperate with the American intelligence agencies.

Indeed. It’s not like they will secure and protect it like, say, Equifax.

1 Like

2008 to 2018 big deal, crash to recovery
Show me the stats for 1998 to 2008?
No boats on the water is reality, statistics are what you want to make of them

Yeah, keep telling yourself that…

No, I’m not in favor of any of these companies having it either. The difference is that if there is a breach (accidental or not), there is at least SOME chance of accountability unlike anything that happens in China.

Really? No one else sees this as a problem? (Globalist sheep aside).

2 Likes