Understanding China

got a link to those threatening articles
which islands do the USA have bases, GUAM?
The whole of SE Asia getting worried about the new bully

Honshu (Yokosuka), Okinawa, Guam, Diego Garcia, Bahrain are the main islands with US Naval and Air bases in the Pacific, Indian Ocean and AG.
Port rights with supply and repair facilities and permanent US presents in the Philippines, Singapore, Darwin
In South Korea there are ground forces as well.

Not close to China you say?? China is big, with long supply lines to the the remote areas along the borders with many countries, like Myanmar, India, Pakistan and even Afghanistan, henc an interest in ports and security in the Indian Ocean as well.

As I have said before; look at a map and imagine you are in charge of securing the supply routes to ALL of China’s far flung territories from an adversary hell bent on “containing” China and slowing down it’s march towards overtaking it.

the world is round anywhere the USA is sounds like an island around china to you?

Where did you get this “an adversary hell bent on “containing” China and slowing down it’s march towards overtaking it.”
The USA has huge bilateral trade with China, Trump is just making it fairer as China taxes all imports the USA doesnt
There was no contraints to shipping in the SC sea until the Chinese put some in place.
Have you been reading Mao’s little red book?

PS the Chinese own ( long lease) the port in Darwin and many others around the world

DP World, PSA, APM and Hutchinson runs container ports around the world. It is a commercial arrangement, just like the arrangement between NT and Landbridge.
Are anybody worried that the Danes will take over the world because they manage terminals in USA?

BTW; Landbridge Australia LLC management doesn’t have a single Chinese member:

Not sure what you mean there, Landbridge is a Chinese company

What I mean by that is that Darwin Port has been taken over by the Australian branch of Landbridge, which is fully managed by Australians with not a Chinese person in sight. It say so clearly in the link I posted.

That China is spreading it’s economic interests and influence through the One belt one road program is not exactly news, nor has it got anything to do with military expansion.

China is also spreading it’s wings to West Africa to fill a need for supply line security for China and economic development and aid without political or military demands for African countries:

this part of the press release is what is confusing then?

“A month after buying the Port of Darwin its new Chinese owner Ye Cheng made a surprising admission. In what appeared as an offhand remark, the founder and chairman of the Shandong Landbridge Group sought to link his newly acquired port with China’s global strategic and infrastructure strategy.”

Yes it is part of China’s global economic and infrastructure strategy and “our involvement in One Belt, One Road.”
China wants to play a bigger role in the global economy, with free and fair trade among all nations, which should be welcomed, not trying to isolate China from the rest of the world.

you seem to be the only person that thinks somebody is trying to isolate it from the rest of the world.
What caused this delusion?

you mean china with tax and duty on just about everything imported?
versus the USA with little to no tax on anything?

China is clamping down on corruption at high levels and any industry, incl. shipbuilding and military contractors:

No I’m not the only one that think so. Anybody that watch both US and Chinese policies will know that and the last weeks news just confirm it:

The WTO keeps up with this stuff.
AHN is the actual tariffs imposed as they measure it as opposed to MFN, Most Favored Nations. This stuff is negotiated normally between countries but…
Currently China is at 6.93, the USA 6.39 , Germany 6.11 and further down the scale Australia at 5.55 with Norway at 2.76.

Ok , there is 2 of you and the other one works for the Chinese government
how does the USA lose a trade war when its $300 billion down?

China were prepared to buy more commodities (i.e. Crude Oil and Petroleum products, Coal, LNG and grains etc.) and some manufactured goods from USA to narrow the trade gap and calm the waters.

But no, US went ahead with their steel and aluminum tariffs anyhow. They already restrict Chinese import on anything that could possibly have dual military use, so the scope for import of manufactured goods is limited.
As if that was not enough they threatened with tariffs on USD 50 Bn. of Chinese hitech goods. (Not the Walmart stuff)
Now China is threatening to put retaliatory tariffs on just those same commodities (except LNG) to hit the areas with most Trump voters the hardest.

In short, yes you can loose a trade war even if you are $300 Bn. down. You can also loose elections by hurting your base.

Breaking news!!!
It just got worse:

Worse for US consumers more so than for Chinese exporters I suspect.

This whole “trade war” reflects a lack of understanding from those that started it. The USA is down $300 billion? This means US consumers are buying things because they are being supplied to them cheaper than they can buy within their own country or they are buying things they cannot produce. The USA has run a trade deficit for over 30 years. Many of the things imported are from foreign owned subsidiaries of US corporations. I-Phones, Fords etc. for example. No one in the USA held a gun to any manufacturers head and told them to move their facilities overseas, they did it to increase profits. The USA’s leaders and Congress of both parties bought into the entire scheme and profits have been a record levels for many years.
To declare a trade war now will not really hurt these corporations in the long term but it will effect consumers as their wages have not gone up for over 30 years when adjusted for inflation. Turning back the clock is simply not going to happen.
Renegotiating trade on an individual basis is needed absolutely but this current “trade war” won’t last long as time will show [about a month at most]. Once the people that run the world explain to the politicians this is not acceptable things will change quickly. If not? A recession will ensue.
I would never bet against the Chinese, their leader is essentially a dictator and he will subject his people to more pain than any democratic country is willing to endure in any trade war.

An interesting read-China plans to be the replacement superpower-

I don’t know that it is a secret. China will overtake USA as the world’s biggest economy in the next decade and likely will be the dominant force in the world before 2049.
And yes, they will do this without firing a shot, or without spending too much on weapons, like the Soviet Union.

Since they have no plans or desire to attack you, only defend themselves against any attack on China, it’s neighbours and friends, or it’s trade routes, they don’t need to have a large offensive capability.

If you would stop making adversaries out of friends and enemies out of adversaries, things could be a lot easier. Let things progress as it must do and everybody would be a lot happier.

You replaced Britain as the leader in the world without a fight. Now China is developing into the world leader of the future. It is a natural progression and nothing to be upset about.

Hoping that a war with China would be where you send your troops across the Pacific, (reactivating the mothballed fleet to supply them) fight a brave battle and return to a glorious welcome, with a ticker tape parade and kissing the nurses at Times Square, is a pipedream in our modern days.

Nobody win a war involving nuclear weapons, we ALL dies.

I just thought it was a good read.