Unarmed or armed guards and STCW

Does anyone knows how do the unarmed or armed guards against piracy, embarked on a merchant ship ? Are there any special rules that affect them on their existence on board and to embarkation or disembarkation ports? The STCW is in force and for them and in which way?
Thanks in advance
Kyriakos Kokkinos
kokkinosinterlaw@hotmail.com

I would think that would be a private matter, kept in house, with no outside knowledge. Otherwise ‘loose lips sink ships’

I’m not asking for “intelligence”, but for legal information about impementation of the STCW upon them too, or not, and about the ways of doing it legally!

Port Security Advisory (3-09) Guidance on Self-Defense or Defense of others by U.S. Flagged Commercial Vessels Operating in High Risk Waters - U.S. Coast Guard (18 June, 2009)

Port Security Advisory (5-09) (Rev 1) Minimum Guidelines for Contracted Security Services in High Risk Waters - U.S. Coast Guard - (24 July, 2009)

Why would stcw effect them? They aren’t standing a watch…

Sent from my phone using gCaptain app

They would require Basic Safety Training under STCW A-VI / 1 if signed on as crew, but not if signed on as supernumerary.

U.S. flagged vessels - TWIC cards. No STCW training or USCG documentation required, however training must be commensurate with Port Security Advisory (5-09) (Rev 1) Minimum Guidelines for Contracted Security Services in High Risk Waters - U.S. Coast Guard - (24 July, 2009). Training (in terms of security training required to do job) must be documented.

[QUOTE=Tugboattim;57564]Why would stcw effect them? They aren’t standing a watch…

Sent from my phone using gCaptain app[/QUOTE]

The current Basic Safety Training applies to all persons with designated duties for safety or environmental protection.

The 2010 STCW amendments, which enter into force on January 1, 2012, add training requirements for “security awareness” and for persons with designated security duties.

Commonsense tells me that safety at sea is for all why would you have not have STCW- 4 parts plus other courses for theses people who are there to protect merchant shipping and the people on board. What use would they be if they did not understand the drills !! Good show I say

@ Kokkinosinterlaw …I have been providing armed security/safety to Merchant Vessels for the last 4 years. All contractors are required to possess STCW95 most will be qualified as SSO/CSO/PFSO the UK contractors will have ENG1 medical certificates, seaman’s books and discharge cards. The vast majority of flag states comply with the BIMCO GUARDCON recommendation and will sign on the security team as crew supernumeraries. Full documentation is provided by the security company to the CSO prior to disembarkation.
So in short yes the team are fully compliant ships crew under the authority of the Master. As to rules for embarkation and disembarkation that is now a well rehearsed and practised procedure between the security teams and countries facilitating our movement. Kind regards WD