TWIC Question

I am looking to make a career change. I have no professional Maritime experience, but grew up on the Jersey Shore and have been around boats my whole life. I’m hoping to get an entry level spot on a tug in the NY harbor. I’m going to apply for my MMD-OS next week. Can apply for my TWIC at the same time? Or do I have to wait until I have a job on a tug? I just figured it would look better going in if I had both documents when applying for a spot.

Also, I’ve come to the conclusion from browsing through these forums that I should hold off on taking an STCW-95 course until I have my AB, because the CG won’t give it to an OS anyway. Is this correct? Or should I take a course anyway?

Any help/info you guys could give me is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

You dont have to have a real reason for getting a TWIC. Just tell them that you are going into the maritime field and there shouldnt be a problem.

The sooner you get that done the better, as with all things maritime… it takes time.

great. thanks. so i don’t even need the MMD to show them first?

No you don’t. You just have to sign a form saying you are anticipating working in the maritime field and needing a TWIC.

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers/twic/index.shtm

thanks for all the info! any opinions on whether or not i should go for a STCW course before I start applying for jobs?