Tugboat company background checks

Anybody know the names of the smaller tug outfits in Stockton?
We met a tug capt in Stockton last year, who saw my guys boat refit and engine work and said to get his TWIC and DL and come on down but I didn’t get his last name and I have forgotten the co name he worked for. He would like to get started as a deckhand while waiting in the MMC.

Out of curiosity, are most of these people who are being avoided due to criminal records have recent offenses (less than 10 years ago) or are they people who made a mistake at 18 and now at 56 are still having trouble even though they have had no new criminal action in decades?

Any ideas?

I doubt if pre-computer era offenses from 40 years ago would even be found.

I’ve asked HR how some of the shitheads they send to the boat ever got through the background check. I was told that they cannot be too fussy if they want to crew the boats.

1 Like

Let’s put it this way. When the company bought us out and the no felony, no GED or high school diploma thing started it cut or possible job hire pool in half and we feel it. Our average new hire job orientation was a group of ten people and only one or two out of that would make it. Now we are lucky if we get a orientation group of 5 and its a miracle if one makes it. On top of that most of the ones that did make it have a past or are ex con’s. I think it is very dumb to look past 10 years. People change and make mistakes. Any one that is over 40 probably has some kind of past. Misdemeanor or felony.

1 Like

Yeah, that is exactly what I was going with. I personally feel that if there have been no transgressions within a time frame then they should be not be held against them.

Besides, if convicted then they should have already paid their debt to society so why should they be required to continue to suffer and make things that much more difficult for them in turn making one of the only options a relapse of their past?

I agree completely. Also I believe ex con’s are way more hungry to work. These guys work hard and are trying to change and better their lives. They are happy to have a decent job with good food and a good safe bed to sleep in every night. They out work most other people and don’t complain near as much. When we could hire people with a past, two of the best guys I worked with at this company had recently got out of the joint. And none of the crew could give a sh$t about there past as long as they showed up for crew change and did a good job.

1 Like