TTIP and the Jones Act

There are “trade” agreements being approved that the major news media are ignoring. They are secret agreements that make NAFTA look like child’s play. It is not a “trade” agreement at all but a multinational corporate bill of rights which allows corporations to sue if they feel they are losing money because of the laws of another country.
Hard to find information about it as it is a secret agreement that only lobbyists and congressmen can read. The EU did publish something that should be of interest to all mariners.

Box 7: Extracts from draft recommendations of 1 June 2015, on services 41(b)regarding market access: (…)(v) to increase market access for services according to a “hybrid list approach”, using for market access “positive lists”, whereby services that are to be opened up to foreign companies are explicitly mentioned and new services are excluded while ensuring that possible stand-still and ratchet clauses only apply to non-discrimination provisions and allow for enough flexibility to bring services of general economic interest back into public control as well as to take into account the emergence of new and innovative services and using “negative list approach” for national treatment";(vi) the negotiations should meaningfully address and remove the current US restrictions on maritime and air transport services owned by European businesses as a result of US legislation such as the Jones Act, Foreign Dredging Act, the Federal Aviation Act and the US Air Cabotage law and in relation to capital restrictions on foreign ownership of airlines,which seriously hinders market access for EU companies as well as innovation in the USitself; (…)(viii) to strive hard to ensure mutual recognition of professional qualifications, notably via the creation of a legal framework with federal states that have regulatory powers in this domain, in order to enable EU and US professionals to practise on either side of the Atlantic and to facilitate mobility of investors, professionals, highly -skilled workers and technicians between the EU and the US in sectors covered by TTIP;

The complete link is here. http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/IDAN/2015/559502/EPRS_IDA(2015)559502_EN.pdf

I encourage all mariners to demand answers from their representatives regarding TTIP, TTP and TISA before we lose even more jobs and rights.

This thing is about to slip under the radar if we are not careful. There is little or no “trade” in this trade agreement.

Ugly! ! "(vi) the negotiations should meaningfully address and remove the current US restrictions on maritime and air transport services owned by European businesses as a result of US legislation such as the Jones Act, Foreign Dredging Act, the Federal Aviation Act and the US Air Cabotage law and in relation to capital restrictions on foreign ownership of airlines, which seriously hinders market access for EU companies as well as innovation in the US itself; (…). "

[QUOTE=Oil_Is_Evil;179006]Ugly! ! "(vi) the negotiations should meaningfully address and remove the current US restrictions on maritime and air transport services owned by European businesses as a result of US legislation such as the Jones Act, Foreign Dredging Act, the Federal Aviation Act and the US Air Cabotage law and in relation to capital restrictions on foreign ownership of airlines, which seriously hinders market access for EU companies as well as innovation in the US itself; (…). "[/QUOTE]

It is a two way street.
The US always want free access for US services and freedom to compete in other markets, but is reluctant to open up own markets to free access for others when negotiating trade deals.

As for the TTIP it will become a major stepping stone for US businesses into the world’s biggest single market, the EU, and open opportunities for US shipping companies, not just to trade within the EU, but to own and operate ships and shipping companies in EU countries.

EU is not a low labour cost countries stealing jobs by offering low cost goods of inferior quality.
In stead of jobs being lost in the US it opens opportunities for US manufacturer and workers to sell their goods and services freely in all EU countries, an affluent market of 550 mill. people, thus creating jobs in America.
If you are confident in your ability to produce high quality goods and services at competitive prices, what is it you are worried about?

Likewise, US citizens will have the opportunity to work more freely in EU countries, not only those who are highly skilled professionals but anybody who are willing to move and compete on even footing with locals and other migrants.
That means paying taxes of course, but also benefiting from the social welfare system in the country you work or live in.

This applies to Mariners as well, I believe. It is more likely that a well qualified Mariner can find work in the shipping and offshore business. Especially in sailing positions, but also shore based jobs within EU countries.

You may be able to work on EU flag ships anywhere in the world, but still live in the US. The Owners/Managers may save on travel expenses. Especially if the ship is trading in the Americas. In fact this already possible on vessels in “International” registers.

PS> This applies to non-EU countries like Norway, Iceland and Switzerland as well, as they are part of TTIP.

[QUOTE=ombugge;179009]It is a two way street.
The US always want free access for US services and freedom to compete in other markets, but is reluctant to open up own markets to free access for others when negotiating trade deals.

As for the TTIP it will become a major stepping stone for US businesses into the world’s biggest single market, the EU, and open opportunities for US shipping companies, not just to trade within the EU, but to own and operate ships and shipping companies in EU countries.

EU is not a low labour cost countries stealing jobs by offering low cost goods of inferior quality.
In stead of jobs being lost in the US it opens opportunities for US manufacturer and workers to sell their goods and services freely in all EU countries, an affluent market of 550 mill. people, thus creating jobs in America.
If you are confident in your ability to produce high quality goods and services at competitive prices, what is it you are worried about?

Likewise, US citizens will have the opportunity to work more freely in EU countries, not only those who are highly skilled professionals but anybody who are willing to move and compete on even footing with locals and other migrants.
That means paying taxes of course, but also benefiting from the social welfare system in the country you work or live in.

This applies to Mariners as well, I believe. It is more likely that a well qualified Mariner can find work in the shipping and offshore business. Especially in sailing positions, but also shore based jobs within EU countries.

You may be able to work on EU flag ships anywhere in the world, but still live in the US. The Owners/Managers may save on travel expenses. Especially if the ship is trading in the Americas. In fact this already possible on vessels in “International” registers.

PS> This applies to non-EU countries like Norway, Iceland and Switzerland as well, as they are part of TTIP.[/QUOTE]

Disagree completely. There is little trade in the “trade” agreement. Why as it been kept secret for so long? It is a multinational corporate bill of rights not a trade agreement.
Here is one very small piece of information.

It should be noted that we manufacture virtually nothing here in the US any more. It is often assembled here of foreign parts.

We can never compete with low cost producers who pay very low wages, no benefits, have no environmental restrictions, and no liability.

When the US economy eventually collapses. No one will come to our aid. when we are no longer able to police the entire world for free, it will collapse into war and chaos.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;179052]We can never compete with low cost producers who pay very low wages, no benefits, have no environmental restrictions, and no liability.

When the US economy eventually collapses. No one will come to our aid. when we are no longer able to police the entire world for free, it will collapse into war and chaos.[/QUOTE]

The economy has collapsed for most people and will only get worse. If you liked NAFTA and the benefits it brought you’ll love TTIP, TTP and TISA ! They are NAFTA on steroids. Policing the world, free and not, is helping collapse the economy. All this has happened with support of both political parties and the people they represent.

http://investmentwatchblog.com/wikileaks-exposes-obamas-fake-trade-deal-only-5-of-the-29-chapters-are-actually-about-trade/

Vote no incumbent.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;179052]We can never compete with low cost producers who pay very low wages, no benefits, have no environmental restrictions, and no liability.

When the US economy eventually collapses. No one will come to our aid. when we are no longer able to police the entire world for free, it will collapse into war and chaos.[/QUOTE]

TTIP is not with low cost countries only, unless you regard Germany, Sweden, France and UK etc. “low cost”.
These countries has stricter environmental laws and rules then US. The hope is that TTIP would compel US to enforce similar laws, not block them.

As for liabilities, maybe the US should harmonize their laws with those of their trading partners, not practice extra-territorial jurisdiction.

[QUOTE=tengineer1;179055]The economy has collapsed for most people and will only get worse. If you liked NAFTA and the benefits it brought you’ll love TTIP, TTP and TISA ! They are NAFTA on steroids. Policing the world, free and not, is helping collapse the economy. All this has happened with support of both political parties and the people they represent.

http://investmentwatchblog.com/wikileaks-exposes-obamas-fake-trade-deal-only-5-of-the-29-chapters-are-actually-about-trade/

Vote no incumbent.[/QUOTE]

Isn’t that link to a well known “Conspiracy” site?
Here is an opposing view: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/charles-lane-us-benefits-from-trade-deals--never-mind-the-protectionists-hype/2014/02/03/8d374f20-8ceb-11e3-833c-33098f9e5267_story.html?tid=a_inl

[QUOTE=ombugge;179103]Isn’t that link to a well known “Conspiracy” site?
Here is an opposing view: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/charles-lane-us-benefits-from-trade-deals--never-mind-the-protectionists-hype/2014/02/03/8d374f20-8ceb-11e3-833c-33098f9e5267_story.html?tid=a_inl[/QUOTE]

That article is two years old and talking about it as a “trade agreement” which it seems is actually a very little part of the whole thing.

Nothing like this done in secret should ever be supported by the people. If it’s a good plan they should be open about everything.

[QUOTE=ombugge;179103]Isn’t that link to a well known “Conspiracy” site?
Here is an opposing view: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/charles-lane-us-benefits-from-trade-deals--never-mind-the-protectionists-hype/2014/02/03/8d374f20-8ceb-11e3-833c-33098f9e5267_story.html?tid=a_inl[/QUOTE]
Not that the Washington Post is a conspiracy site but here is are other views

and another

of course once you as a citizen are allowed to read the full particulars perhaps there will be enough time for you to contact your representative and make your views knows.

[QUOTE=tengineer1;179105]Not that the Washington Post is a conspiracy site but here is are other views

and another

of course once you as a citizen are allowed to read the full particulars perhaps there will be enough time for you to contact your representative and make your views knows.[/QUOTE]

United Technologies made $7.6 billion in profit last year and paid the CEO $10 million. But apparently that isn’t enough so with the approval of the US people via their congress they are moving these jobs to Mexico. It’s just business…nothing to see here…move along.
Those that think the Jones Act will protect mariners are deluding themselves.

vote no incumbent

[QUOTE=tengineer1;179113]United Technologies made $7.6 billion in profit last year and paid the CEO $10 million. But apparently that isn’t enough so with the approval of the US people via their congress they are moving these jobs to Mexico. It’s just business…nothing to see here…move along.
Those that think the Jones Act will protect mariners are deluding themselves.

vote no incumbent[/QUOTE]

I have NO political affiliation with either party nor do I currently support any candidate for president.

Found this advertisement in Washington Post with some good reasons for Europeans to migrate to USA these days: https://www.globalusagreencard.org/landing_page/v9/?a=19&utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=content&utm_campaign=europe&utm_content=green_card_blonde&utm_term=5_Compelling_Reasons_to_Immigrate_to_the_US_from_Europe&r=OB&c=europe_bundle&pp=Morning+Mix+-+The+Washington+Post&adg_id=004e0ea29fa926bbbb585ae9baf43206c9&campaign_ID=425102963#steps

What is it the company behind this advertisement offer for USD 39??:

[quote] What’s included in this package?
Guaranteed Submission.
Submission to the upcoming Lottery.
Guaranteed Lottery participation.
Bullet-Proof Validation
Automatic validation of your personal info & photo
Access & Support
Professional consultation with a dedicated immigration consultant
Via email & automated system[/quote]

Their description of Europe looks like taken right out of a US propaganda sheet, which it probably was. I don’t think most Europeans would recognize their home country in that description.

As a lark I filled in their form, with posts like education etc. stating “others” to find out if I could apply. To my surprise, with my age of 73, I was instantly found eligible. Even being told that 73 is an ideal age to apply.

Without having paid any fee I received an instant SMS to inform me that I would be contacted shortly to complete my application form.

I assume that when I don’t pay the USD 39 fee I would quickly become not so eligible? What a hoax. Is this “lottery” actually officially sanctioned??

PS> While typing this post I received a call from a person in California to talk about my application. I had to tell him that it was all a lark from my side to, since I have no plans of migrating to USA. I only wanted to find out what kind of hoax they were all about.

I then received an e-mail with this very professional webpage: https://www.globalusagreencard.org/

Can they keep all this up for USD 39???