Trying to transfer to Cal Maritime

OP must have a compelling reason for her interest in CMA over all other maritime schools. (Boyfriend, family, resident of CA?)

Anyway, I am quite familiar with Northeastern program. Their Cooperative Education program is the best in the country providing an exceptional hybrid of quality education and real world experience. It’s a 5 year program no matter what your major but you graduate with an outstanding resume. Northeastern also has a generous endowment and most students receive scholarship and grants which result is similar out of pocket costs to what you would pay at a state school.

My advice is if you are more than half way through NEU, finish the program. If you still want to go to CMA, go as a grad student.

Thank you all for your various insights on my post. Now, to answer some of your questions…

[B]Why are you adamant about Cal?[/B] - I lived in California until I moved for college. I’ve worked at UPS out there, and where I currently reside. As one poster rightly spotted, my boyfriend does live there too. Cal is also part of one of the largest University systems in the world, and one of the most funded too. Northeastern is a respected and also highly selective University, but my heart is in California. UCB is also a school I’ll be trying for in the event my maritime plans do not pan out as I’d like them too.

[B]Why not just finish at Northeastern? [/B]- That’s also something I’ve been mulling over. It is a great school - but EXPENSIVE! Cal is more in the price range I’d like to spend on school. The licensing that Cal offers is also an attracting factor for me.

[B]What about other Maritime academies?[/B] - Maine is too far, and too isolated for my taste. Texas is too… Texan. I respect the state and its culture, it’s just not my cup of tea.

Thank you all for your opinions!

I am pretty sure Cals grad program is not a license track. It is all online and is a 20 month program, I remember reading somewhere that you must be at an academy for 3 year to get a license.
Here’s a link if you are interseted https://csum.edu/web/industry/graduate-studies. Tugsailor is right about being easy to get in our average transfer gpa is 2.7.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;126106]

Anyway, I am quite familiar with Northeastern program. Their Cooperative Education program is the best in the country providing an exceptional hybrid of quality education and real world experience. It’s a 5 year program no matter what your major but you graduate with an outstanding resume. Northeastern also has a generous endowment and most students receive scholarship and grants which result is similar out of pocket costs to what you would pay at a state school.

My advice is if you are more than half way through NEU, finish the program. If you still want to go to CMA, go as a grad student.[/QUOTE]

Both brothers-in-law whom are pharmacists wouldn’t go there again knowing what they know now! The ultimate rip-off especially with those programs requiring another year (beyond 5); work for free while paying grad-school tuition!

If you were there for some engineering, or medical type program I’d just stay at NU…but environmental studies will most likely have you in regret once you start paying off your debt. I go skiing several times a year with a bunch of friends/family that went there and I’m the only one who doesn’t have to do it on the cheap. They make decent cash, but with $1,000 or more a month in loans…but the hockey games were fun.

And boyfriends and maritime academy’s don’t usually work out, in my experience

[QUOTE=z-drive;126162]Both brothers-in-law whom are pharmacists wouldn’t go there again knowing what they know now! The ultimate rip-off especially with those programs requiring another year (beyond 5); work for free while paying grad-school tuition!

If you were there for some engineering, or medical type program I’d just stay at NU…but environmental studies will most likely have you in regret once you start paying off your debt. I go skiing several times a year with a bunch of friends/family that went there and I’m the only one who doesn’t have to do it on the cheap. They make decent cash, but with $1,000 or more a month in loans…but the hockey games were fun.

And boyfriends and maritime academy’s don’t usually work out, in my experience[/QUOTE]

Disagree with unpaid Co-Ops. While internships are often unpaid, the co-op program are paid positions and co-op is what NEU is known for.

I Agree that boyfriends & maritime academy’s don’t usually work out. Don’t put a boyfriend ahead of your educational pursuits. Relationships can come and go, A degree stays with you forever.

Your other reasons for moving back to the left coast are legit (Cost & equivalent educational opportunity in the CA State school system)

Northeastern pioneered the Cooperative Education model with paid coop placements in industry.

This is the model used by many, if not most, European maritime academies. It is the educational model that US maritime academies should be using. It provides a superior education, graduates students with real world experience and skills under their belts, and it costs much less.

It does take an extra year at Northeastern, but it doesn’t at the European academies.

Jet, pay attention. I said programs that go beyond 5 years, I.e. pharmacy etc. believe me, you work for free, while paying grad school tuition. I have two brothers in law that were best friends even back in those days and its just the way it goes. yes there were times they did get paid, but not in all phases of that education. Stop being a know it all school boy, things aren’t as they seem, something you will realize someday. It’s up there on the list of schools not worth the $.

Z- I’m fairly familiar with Northeastern as my sister attends there now. Yeah, it’s expensive - $53,000/yr if you are paying full boat. But she, and many others were able to secure grants and other forms of financial relief which brought the total cost down to near State School level.

I’ll admit I am not familiar with the Pharmacy program so I’ll defer to you.

Yes, averages out to 32 a year or so.

It’s funny, at Maine Maritime we called that the SVO program, didn’t know the Europeans had copied us! (Some humor implied before anyone gets bent out of shape)

After putting my son through Northeastern I couldn’t have been happier. He co-oped at MIT Lincoln Labs, MIT at the University, hmmm MIT sure likes NE students and a major Bank. He had 5 job offers waiting for him when he graduated. NE’s motto is take us for all you can, not take you for all they can. I really feel they prepared him for a job in the real world. His co-ops paid really well.

So Back to the real topic(not about NE) the 3.2 is good i would worry about the act scores though i think the average is 23 or 24. But with your GPA at a good school(I dont care what anyone thinks about NE compared to a cc its good)you should be fine. The there is what everyone turned this thread into… would you want to transfer? They do look at the resumes and use it as part of the process, but your experiance will really only help you in cargo class. Polish is white so that wont help you get in… but you are a female and that is a minority here by a long shot. If you have questions about the school PM me. I’m a sophmore MT.

So what happened to the instructor that was charged with drugging and sexually assaulting a student. I heard he was still teaching GMDSS there

[QUOTE=skycowboy;126346]So what happened to the instructor that was charged with drugging and sexually assaulting a student. I heard he was still teaching GMDSS there[/QUOTE]

Just talking about that earlier. Someone joked that it might have been a Maine professor who came over from Cal, caused quite a laugh, he’s a nice guy, hopefully it wasn’t him!

[QUOTE=skycowboy;126346]So what happened to the instructor that was charged with drugging and sexually assaulting a student. I heard he was still teaching GMDSS there[/QUOTE]
Yes and radar. I never heard about a trial though dont know what happened there

Scott Saarhiem Was the name reported in the paper. I see he is still listed as faculty.

He was never charged or they were dropped. However he is a fuckin douche bag . Back in 98 he was walking around with a black eye. Turns out he put the moves on the wrong guy and got the shit kicked out of him. Any girl going to CMA will be safe from this guy. He likes the boys

[QUOTE=skycowboy;126390]Scott Saarhiem Was the name reported in the paper. I see he is still listed as faculty.[/QUOTE]

Looks like a real grade-A twatwaffle, if you ask me. Just glad it’s not the guy from MMA who came over from Cal.