Transferring to CMA

Transferring to CMA has some negative feedback on the web from my research. I am an active duty sailor that is trying to transfer to CMA but I am now worried about how many of my credits they will actually absorb. I got an AA in the navy and I am really not trying to take any type of college level math again. I have College Algebra under my belt and was wondering if anybody has any experience with transferring credits into CMA from prior colleges? All the colleges I went to were regionally accredited, one was from WASC like CMA.
Thanks guys,
islandtiger

they will bend you over hard to make you stay for 4 years, you might get lucky and get out in 3 plus a cruise, your best best from what I’ve read on here for veterans is Great Lakes academy same program just more welcoming to past students and veterans.

[QUOTE=rshrew;154837]they will bend you over hard to make you stay for 4 years, you might get lucky and get out in 3 plus a cruise, .[/QUOTE]

It’s going to take more than one cruise. The academies are approved as comprehensive programs, they don’t have “sea time” per se. The program musdt include 12 months of on-board training, this is different than normal “sea-time.” Everyone needs the cadet placements and/or training ship time. There is no credit for prior sea time as it was not part of the program. The only exception is if you have at least 3 years of creditable sea time, in that case you would qualify as a hawse-piper with the academy counting for the required training and assessment.

rshrew,
thanks. i dont mind doing the four years, i just did 5 in the navy so im not too worried about the time. I just dont want to have to redo a bunch of jazz that I already played. thanks for the help again.
islandtiger

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=jdcavo;154853] Everyone needs the cadet placements and/or training ship time. There is no credit for prior sea time as it was not part of the program. The only exception is if you have at least 3 years of creditable sea time, in that case you would qualify as a hawse-piper with the academy counting for the required training and assessment.[/QUOTE]

jd,
i will be heading up there with my MMC as AB with my sea time. Going to explore this hawspiper status of which you speak. I hadn’t heard about that. Thanks for the help.
islandtiger

[QUOTE=islandtiger;154819]Transferring to CMA has some negative feedback on the web from my research. I am an active duty sailor that is trying to transfer to CMA but I am now worried about how many of my credits they will actually absorb. I got an AA in the navy and I am really not trying to take any type of college level math again. I have College Algebra under my belt and was wondering if anybody has any experience with transferring credits into CMA from prior colleges? All the colleges I went to were regionally accredited, one was from WASC like CMA.
Thanks guys,
islandtiger[/QUOTE]

Yeah, 3 years, 2 Bear cruises and an “internship” is the fastest you’d escape the Academy. They are accepting of the college level coursework such as College Algebra, Physics, etc, but some of the major STCW courses are only offered once a year (Stability, Celestial, Rules etc). All of those courses are offered up by “Class of date”, then you get a crack of the left overs (the better ones since you would get Vets Priority Registration) that you can make fit into your schedule. Good luck in your endeavors.

Cadet

I left the Navy (BM3) in late '13 and started CMA last fall. After my discharge and before starting at the academy, I took 20 credits of classes at a community college.
CMA had a requirement that I had to have taken a math class and English class within the last few years (it was probably like within 5 years), or fly down to California and take some type of placement exam. I enrolled into College Algebra, English 101, US History (pre-1860), Economics, US Government. I also had 75+ credits of prior Mandarin.
Everything transferred except the majority of the language stuff, and the College Algebra (due to the fact it did not contain any element of trig…but it DID fulfill the within 5-year requirement).
All of my Navy “credit” from VMET, or any sea time, PQS quals, etc., did not transfer.
There are certainly several people here on the [secret] 3-year track. Everyone I know that registered for upper-level classes this semester who is a freshman got a seat in the class. They will have to do their second training cruise after they walk at graduation, however.
I also looked into the CFRs regarding Navy sea time perhaps letting you off the hook for a training cruise, watch standing during the semester, etc. That is certainly a no-go. You still have to do all of that stuff.
Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

[QUOTE=MandolinGuy;154975]I enrolled into College Algebra, English 101, US History (pre-1860), Economics, US Government. I also had 75+ credits of prior Mandarin.
Everything transferred except the majority of the language stuff, and the College Algebra (due to the fact it did not contain any element of trig…but it DID fulfill the within 5-year requirement).[/QUOTE]

Boats,
Good looking out man, I will most def. be hitting you up sooner than later as I am making preparations to enter the Fall '15. My biggest concern was the math and english transfer, I got an AA in the navy and I did take College Algebra and two College English courses, so hearing that you were able to transfer those to CMA is a relief. I appreciate the heads up man, thanks.
V/R,
Islandtiger

[QUOTE=islandtiger;155008]Boats,
Good looking out man, I will most def. be hitting you up sooner than later as I am making preparations to enter the Fall '15. My biggest concern was the math and english transfer, I got an AA in the navy and I did take College Algebra and two College English courses, so hearing that you were able to transfer those to CMA is a relief. I appreciate the heads up man, thanks.
V/R,
Islandtiger[/QUOTE]

Just remember to have that Trig part in your College Algebra. Email Admissions to confirm to avoid being bent over. Take it this Summer at a JC if you need to. It would be beast mode of you, but you need it to add Nav I during add/drop time. There is a community college I went to and they (Admissions) wanted MATH051- Trigonometry to satisfy CMA’s MTH100- College Algebra and Trigonometry. The registrar generates your schedule for your first Fall semester. Add Nav I and Physics during Fall add/drop time. Put Chem off!!! Physics is the 3 yr ticket. Physics = Stability, Meteorology, Tankers, Cargo…etc. Get that and get out of here as soon as you can!!

Like MandolinGuy said, they don’t advertise the 3 yr plan, they may even advise against it…more $$$$$ for the CSU if you stay longer.