Transatlantic lines (TAL) current situation

FYI:

TransAtlantic Lines-owned ship arrested

UPDATE: Connecticut-based firm says it is working to clear up lawsuits and serve needs of customers.

August 11th, 2017 21:53 GMT

by Michael Angell

Published in Legal

TransAtlantic Lines saw one of its general cargoships arrested this week in Florida.

The blow comes as the contractor to the US government faces several lawsuits filed during the last month over unpaid bills.

The 2,000-dwt Geysir (built 1980) was arrested this week after an order from a US district judge in Florida. It is berthed at the port of Jacksonville.

Turkey’s Tuzla Shipyard ordered the arrest, alleging that it was owed $314,000 for work done on the Geysir back in April. It is also seeking $100,000 related to attorneys fees.

But Tuzla’s lawsuit is only of several facing the Geysir and its Greenwich, Connecticut-based owner.

Bunker supplier Endofa has also filed as an intervening plaintiff. It is claiming $111,900 in unpaid bunkering bills and related attorneys fees related to fuel deliveries to both the Geysir and the 5,055-dwt Transatlantic (built 1997).

The Transatlantic itself was already barred from working with the Military Sealift Command (MSC) after the US Coast Guard found multiple violations. TransAtlantic Lines said last March it was making needed repairs to the ship.

TransAtlantic said that it “remain[s] focused on serving the needs of our active customers, including the MSC. As with all legal disputes there are always several sides to the issue which we will deal with respectfully through the proper processes.”

In addition to Tuzla and Endofa, a union representing seafarers aboard also filed claims against the Geysir and the Transatlantic over unpaid wages. The total amount of unpaid wages claimed was not listed in the lawsuit.

Separately, TransAtlantic faces two lawsuits from ship agencies over unpaid bills. Wilhelms Ships Service claims to be owed $48,000 over unpaid bills and Inchape Shipping Services claims it is owed $86,000 related to port calls for the Transatlantic.

1 Like

What a great piece of PR bullshit … “active customers” of a shipping company with no ships.

The real crime here is that MSC even deals with this scumbag outfit. Unfortunately our great congress has been bought off by the likes of the “miserable little puke” so that non payment of crew and operating an unseaworthy vessel is not enough reason to prevent his getting another contract.

I would like to see the miserable little puke perp walked in chains by ICE agents to the next flight to Iceland. Make him the poster boy for the Cheeto’s immigration dreams. He scammed American workers, he scammed the US government, throw him out after confiscating everything he bought with his contract scams. Fire the MSC contract administrators who have allowed this fraud to continue for so long.

2 Likes

Oh the horror.

The US will never ratify the MLC, as long as it requires visa free travel and shore leave for any and all foreign seamen.

Luckily for you there aren’t too many US seaman in foreign trade to retaliate against.
Maybe time to start a #noshoreleaveforUSsailors?

It wouldn’t hurt many merchant seamen, but maybe the Navy boys would get pissed off if they were not allowed ashore in foreign ports?

This paranoia about foreigners, especially seamen, is killing the American standing in the Maritime world.

If you are so afraid of terrorists, just look at what happened in Charleston. You don’t need to worry about imported nutcases, you got more than enough of your own.

Please keep them home though. We don’t want them travelling to other countries to spread their poison and Nazi ideas. Banning all Americans from entering other countries MAY be a bit too much, but it may come to that if you cannot rain in your crazies yourself.

PS> It is starting already: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2017/08/13/Drunk-American-tourist-punched-arrested-after-giving-Nazi-salute-in-Germany/2781502636509/

1 Like

I agree about this situation but the U.S. being a non-signatory to MLC is not relevant in this case as the ship must have had a certificate of voluntary MLC compliance if that cert has in fact been pulled.

enough with this discussion of the MLC…it is not germane to this thread. The US being a signatory to the MLC or not would not have changed this terrible situation here. We all know the USCG does not care one wit for the American mariner and will take the side of the owners in any issue. Their mandate to ensure safe seaworthy ships is supposed to be the protection of crew yet they have allowed TAL to operate filthy decrepit shits for two decades and knowing what I do of the GAYSIR am amazed that she didn’t go down with all hands a long time ago.

If anything let’s make this discussion of how companies like TAL keep agencies of the US Federal Government on their side continually to operate and win contracts!

What is interesting is the planning that has apparently gone on with TAL to shed itself of its ships and crew - possibly… here is an article from Greenwich CT indicating that the company residence of 6 Lincoln Avenue will now be a daycare for preschool kids. In order to sell the residence, find a buyer, put the proposed new business before the zoning and planning board and have it approved, this has had to have been in the works for some time. So this is not an accident all of this has happened to TAL, it may have been well planned on the “little puke’s” behalf.

How is it not relevant? It’s only purpose is to protect the crew of the vessel against situations like this.

Title 2: Employment conditions

Payments: Wages should be paid at least every month, and should be transferable regularly to family if so desired.

It’s not relevant because the ship had been issued a certificate of voluntary compliance to the MLC.(pdf) Which means that the ship would have been audited and found in compliance.

According to post #150 that cert has been pulled which means the ship has been found non-compliant.

MLC or not, there is nothing to stop an owner anywhere from ceasing to pay his bills and to stiff everyone he owes money to. The only recourse is to seize the ship and for a court to order it auctioned off which I fear in this case will be far less than needed to satisfy all. The crew does come first but it will be a longtime before they see a nickel.

I am truly suspecting that being the SCUM SUCKING SLUG he is that Gusmundor is far from broke but that he is now done with TAL so just walking away leaving his creditors holding the bag. Could be he ain’t earning enough with the ships anymore or the pending need to accept a contract with the unions (more likely both) but I very much doubt he is totally out of all cash. Very likely he has millions squirreled away in foreign bank accounts though because I would not be surprised at all is this was always his exit plan.

FUCKING GODDAMNED MISERABLE SHITSTAIN ASSHOLE!

1 Like

So now anything that doesn’t go along with the left wing/SJW/globalization mantra should not be “allowed to exist”? It’s attitudes like this that got Trump elected in the first place.

2 Likes

I have thought for a little while now that between the expenses of the union and the USCG finally getting on him hard core about the condition of his boats he was just planning to cash out and quit. That now sounds like exactly what he’s doing.

I guess MEBA has also abandoned these guys.

I would be very nice if someone in Long Beach would help the crew on the Transatlantic at least get ashore.

1 Like

Working on it…I’m an idiot for thinking it would be so seamless.

My son has been onboard Transatlantic since early June. Recent MMA grad 3A/E. Paid once. Busted butt more than once trying to address 835 issues. Promised every Friday, payday Monday. Fortunately he could stay and accumulate hours as he doesn’t have bills. Feel for the husbands and fathers hurt by this fiasco. Had some contact with DOL, but nothing substantial from them yet. Conn. States Attorney office looking into, but with the government contracts, maybe a federal case. Have started drafting letters to Connecticut politicians that have accepted money from Gun… (add your own expletives), letting them know where the money for their campaigns actually came from. Next would be that Greenwich charities he seems to be able to support financially. Breaks my heart knowing all the work my son put into pursuing this career; and now hearing him say it was a mistake. Tough kid, I’m sure he will bounce back. Maybe the system will work for the small guys on this one. Thanks for all the great insight and information that you are sharing on this site. This landlubber is very appreciative.

4 Likes

Really? I’ve read the whole thread and have seen no such thing.

1 Like

3aedad. I suggest that you contact your son and get the name of the launch service that wants $230 to pick the boys up and take them ashore. Then you can call them with a credit card and pay the $230.

If coming up with $230 is truly a problem for you, PM me and I’ll see what I can do.

You missed your own post then??

Four more crew members departing today at 1700 PST leaving the ship with nine people on board.
Four in the engine dept and five in deck.
The four leaving have paid their own way.
Supposedly they have plane tickets.
Or at least itineraries

2 Likes