Transatlantic lines (TAL) current situation

No, not deported but maybe given US Citizenship and a job at the Whitehouse, (I believe there may soon be one available. He should fit well with the Hungarian that is already there)

If he is still an Icelandic and get back there to claim residency, he probably cannot be deported to USA.
Like Norway, they probably regard US Prisons as tantamount to “cruel and unusual punishment”, which is against the UN Charter.

Maybe if the Greenwich city council knew the “rest of the story” behind Gudmundor Kjaernested’s foul history they would cancel any agreements with the scumbag. Hopefully someone there is cleaner than he is.

Maybe a mailstorm from gCap readers can show what the locals probably have no idea about.

http://www.greenwichct.org/government/boards/board_of_selectmen/

I don’t understand why gcaptain and other press has not jumped on this.

If two of the crew were to call the Greenwich newspaper and point them to the court filings, I’m sure there would be a story in the local paper.

Poked my head out into the fresh air just long enough for a glimpse of the Transatlantic while maneuvering out of LA this morning

surely they haven’t been allowed to leave the port?

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:432598/zoom:14

Still shows them sitting in bravo anchorage.

just realized this is in the wrong thread

I haven’t noticed anything in the local papers in san pedro/long beach area either. I can’t recall anything like this ever happening in the port of LA/LB.

There really isn’t a local paper, we need to contact the Hartford Courant
community@courant.com

Contact the Greenwich city leadership via:
http://www.greenwichct.org/government/boards/board_of_selectmen/

And maybe NPR news people.
https://help.npr.org/customer/portal/emails/new

Let them know that crew abandonment isn’t just a 3rd world problem and the latest scumbag to abandon crewmen got rich off US government contracts despite a history worse than most of those 3rd world operations we all rant about.

As of a few minutes ago a local source stated that Kjaernested and his partner still own the property and no transfer to the new group has occurred.

If enough people tell the City of Greenwich about who they are dealing with and the possible (probable?) reason for the deal they will refuse to dirty their hands with the shitstain.

More likely the opposite. Greenwich would be better off with the respected Hebrew school next door taking over the property than to worry about what else, by whoever else, might be proposed for the property when Transatlantic goes bankrupt.

It’s a residence in a residential neighborhood … the worst thing that can happen is a school, the best thing is to have a family living in it. The neighbors are disgusted with the school idea.

I’ve been through plenty of Paris MoU port state inspections on a U.S. ship and can tell you there are vast amounts of subjective opinions by different inspectors. Part of that has been because it was a U.S. ship and they feel like they are “striking back” at the USCG for their own subjective inspections. I’ve been told more than once that since the U.S. is not signatory to so many IMO conventions, those are the ones the inspector is going to focus hardest on. On the whole I’ve had mostly pleasant experiences with port state inspectors in Europe. They are typically experienced professional mariners and their understanding of vessel operations is typically a lot better than the USCG who often have no actual experience in the industry.

I’m not going to defend USCG inspectors or their intentions. I’ve seen a mixed bag over the years, but the fact remains that the U.S. is a flag state that inspects their vessels every year. How these TAL vessel’s fell through the cracks for so long is a question that should be addressed legally. There are many parties caught up in this shitshow and all of them, excepting the crew, should be strung up for letting it get this bad.

US flag vessel operating companies need to be USCG licensed to operate, and the shoreside staff exercising operational control of the vessels also need to be USCG licensed. When there is a systemic pattern of deficiencies the USCG should suspend the company license, and the relevant shoreside managers licenses.

I just got off the vessel yesterday. I’m willing answer any questions? I’ve got time now…

Eagerly waiting for you to do a “core dump” of the whole story!

How small of a crew to operate this ship?

When I arrived 3 weeks ago. I found myself amazed that I was getting stares like “why the hell are you here man?” Upon interview with the captain, I was told the vessel ran out of drinking water days ago, the crew hadn’t received wages in 2 1/2 months, and food was getting thin as well. That the vessel was being held by coast guard for infractions, and it wasn’t about to move soon? Coming out with debt already, I felt like this must be the end of the road for me? With paying for my baggage at the airport, told that it would be reimbursed on the vessel once I arrived, I’m in trouble. Well, after a few days working and still feeling in a daze, the 1AE said enough of this crap. We’re not fixing these infractions until we’re paid? With me coming on as late as I did, I had just missed the Department of Labor visit, and the several visits from the coast guard.

You asking, how many are on now, or how many required?

Asking how many required. I believe there are 9 still onboard.