Towing License Hack?

I recently submitted my completed TOAR and sea service letter along with my STCW gap-closing certificates. I completed the Inland/GL TOAR and my time is a mix of inland (harbor) and near coastal.

There is an interesting footnote in 46 CFR 11.464 (a) that basically says (I’m not reading it) if a mariner is issued a master of towing, he or she may also be issued a mate of towing license for the next superior route (even without experience operating on that route) upon completion of testing.

Reasoning that since I already hold a near coastal license, I had already completed the testing, I also requested Mate of Towing Near Coastal.

It took a brief phone conversation with my evaluator, but I was issued both Master of Towing Inland and Mate of Towing Near Coastal (as well as OICNW 3000 NC Valid on Towing Vessels). The evaluator reiterated what the CFR stated, that upon furnishing proof of 90 days on towing vessels on the Near Coastal route, and completion of the Near Coastal-specific assessments on the TOAR, NMC would issue Master of Towing for that route.

Anyway, I now see a path to Mate and Master of Towing Oceans, should I ever need that.

Just thought I would share in case it’s helpful to anyone else. Maybe lots of folks know about that footnote, but a lot of guys I work with didn’t.

Oh, here’s the relevant citation: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/46/11.464

Yes that is true. I did a similar route. I held a 500 GRT Inland Master and completed the inland TOAR. I got a Master of TV inland and then requested mate of towing NC… they made me sit for the Apprentice Mate exam to issue the license. After that I had to show 90 days seatime and NC TOAR to get Master of TV

No apprentice mate exam here, thankfully! But good to know …

Just asking here. Wouldnt you need celestial in order to get the Oceans?

[QUOTE=0rion;192005]Just asking here. Wouldnt you need celestial in order to get the Oceans?[/QUOTE]

For sure. The towing license follows the deck license. So assuming I take and pass the Oceans increase in scope modules (celestial and nav general?), Once I have Master towing near coastal, mate towing Oceans is a freebie.

Huh… amazing how different evaluators come up with different requirements… Also thank you for your earlier post about the Master/mate upgrade… totally motivated me to do the same thing. I just passed my exams for Master 500/Mate 1600 this past week and am now trying to figure out the next step to get OICNW and Oceans…

1 Like

You can also get Mate of Towing Western Rivers.

1 Like

Here is a question: I have a 1600 mate NC/ 500 Master NC. If I fill out the assessments and the necessary stcw classes will I get the OICNW >500 GT? Will it be restricted to Near Coastal routes? Or do you have to get the oceans route on your national license first? So confusing…

Yes. Took the class in 12 & got it on my 1600 & master of towing. Both are ocean endorsed

[QUOTE=fishyluke;192030]Here is a question: I have a 1600 mate NC/ 500 Master NC. If I fill out the assessments and the necessary stcw classes will I get the OICNW >500 GT? Will it be restricted to Near Coastal routes? Or do you have to get the oceans route on your national license first? So confusing…[/QUOTE]

With the information you’ve provided I would say you should receive OICNW 3,000 GT. They don’t say Oceans/Near Coastal on the STCW section of your MMC but you’re restricted at all times by your national license limitations.

Another thing that confuses me... I need to get the assessments done and the flashing light. If I can't make that happen before 12/31/2017 will I then have to take all those new STCW training courses? Like ship handling and meteorology etc?

[QUOTE=fishyluke;192082]Another thing that confuses me… I need to get the assessments done and the flashing light. If I can’t make that happen before 12/31/2017 will I then have to take all those new STCW training courses? Like ship handling and meteorology etc?[/QUOTE]

I believe that, as Phoenix said, you are now eligible for OICNW and Master 3000,both. Might want to ask for that before the end of the year. Assessments may not be necessary as they were/are not complete for those licenses, maybe? It’s worth looking into either way.

I asked the person on the live chat service yesterday and she told me I would have to take all the new courses after the first of the year…that would be an unbelievable pain in the ass… I might try for a second opinion …or just try and bang out the assessments and get the application in ASAP.

[QUOTE=fishyluke;192030]Here is a question: I have a 1600 mate NC/ 500 Master NC. If I fill out the assessments and the necessary stcw classes will I get the OICNW >500 GT? Will it be restricted to Near Coastal routes? Or do you have to get the oceans route on your national license first? So confusing…[/QUOTE]

You can get STCW restricted to near coastal. I would get everything you need now done and apply for STCW [U]NOW[/U]. After January 1, 2017 you will have take a lot of courses you don’t need if you apply before then.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;192039]With the information you’ve provided I would say you should receive OICNW 3,000 GT. They don’t say Oceans/Near Coastal on the STCW section of your MMC but you’re restricted at all times by your national license limitations.[/QUOTE]

Whether or not he has to do assessments for OICNW will depend on when his time for Master began, and whether he applies before January 1, 2017. Until then, OICNW assessments won’t be required (just Master) if at least one day of the time to get Master was before March 24, 2014.

[QUOTE=fishyluke;192082]Another thing that confuses me… I need to get the assessments done and the flashing light. If I can’t make that happen before 12/31/2017 will I then have to take all those new STCW training courses? Like ship handling and meteorology etc?[/QUOTE]
You will need all those courses if you don’t apply before January 1, 2017, and have everything you need done when you apply. BUT, since flashing light is for OICNW, you don’t need that for Master, if you apply before January 1, 2017 with everything done for Master under the old regulations, you won’t need to do anything more for OICNW. If you wait until on or after January 1, 2017, you will need all of the courses and assessments for both Master and OCNW.

Thanks for the info Mr. Cavo. I called NMC today and was relieved to hear that I was issued OICNW with no need for assessments or extra classes since I already held a Master <500 GT (II/3) endorsement on my MMC. Whew!