Top jobs for a PIC + TOAR?

[quote=Salinity Now;7977]
Its funny how the impressions are different from each company out there, at a recent job fair this past fall, I talked with about 6 different ATB companies, (Crowley, Moran, McCallister, KSea, and more) each one had its own opinion of what you were worth…some recruiters were actually insulting towards guys with Unlimited licenses & PICs wanting to work on the boats but w/o TOAR’s. Other companies had aggressive TOAR programs to push you along and get you into a C/M or CargoMate spot.

Differents strokes i guess…Good Luck[/quote]

Which companies preferred/required you to have a PIC and had aggressive TOAR programs?

Also, if the companies are under union contract, they’re supposed to hire out of the registered manpower pool first. Lately, the pool seems shallow.

argo, i remember specifically the big 2 Moran & McCalister (sp?) were pretty snobby, if you didnt have a TOAR, you were gonna sail as OS or maybe AB (tankerman) until you got your time in. Id need to look back on my notes from the day to get more specifcs on others, there were 3 smaller companies that kinda put up a half hearted smile of “we’d love to bring you on”…all the while you could kinda hear their hints of sailing on the low end of things until it was convienant for THEM to move you up.

Then there was 1 company (cannot for the life of me remember the name, i wanna say Allied or something like that, but I cant remember) thier recruiter was a young guy straight out of college, SUNY i think, we talked for about 15mins, he had good things to say about his company as far as the need for people, future positions AND (in my case) bringing in guys with 1600Masters, PICs but no TOARs, with prospects of moving up quickly. He infact offered me a job to get onboard imediatly sail for 30 day or so (whatever the req time to complete a TOAR) and come back to take the CargoMate spot on a new boat coming out of the yard and the end of the year. They had me pretty intrested, but kinda lost me when I realized they were AMO, that and the fact Im just to close to my C/Ms now to give up where Im already at.

This probably doesnt help you very much (lack of company names) but overall there was a diverse crowd, some more willing than others to bring you in. IMO, Im sure many of the companies are tired of having fresh mates coming out of school, only to work a few hitches and leave for deep sea, so they start you out low and watch for YOU to move up the ladder, I dont blame them, I did the same thing when I graduated, like I said, hinesight is always 20/20…

doesn’t Professional Mariner magazine publish a list of all the ATB’s operating in the Annual Tugboat Issue? finding last year’s issue might be the way to go because I know that there are quite a few smaller firms with ATB’s sailing under the radar…

Penn Maritime is one what comes to mind and of course there is the devil incarnate Bourchard!

[quote=Salinity Now;8078]argo, i remember specifically the big 2 Moran & McCalister (sp?) were pretty snobby, if you didnt have a TOAR, you were gonna sail as OS or maybe AB (tankerman) until you got your time in. Id need to look back on my notes from the day to get more specifcs on others, there were 3 smaller companies that kinda put up a half hearted smile of “we’d love to bring you on”…all the while you could kinda hear their hints of sailing on the low end of things until it was convienant for THEM to move you up.

Then there was 1 company (cannot for the life of me remember the name, i wanna say Allied or something like that, but I cant remember) thier recruiter was a young guy straight out of college, SUNY i think, we talked for about 15mins, he had good things to say about his company as far as the need for people, future positions AND (in my case) bringing in guys with 1600Masters, PICs but no TOARs, with prospects of moving up quickly. He infact offered me a job to get onboard imediatly sail for 30 day or so (whatever the req time to complete a TOAR) and come back to take the CargoMate spot on a new boat coming out of the yard and the end of the year. They had me pretty intrested, but kinda lost me when I realized they were AMO, that and the fact Im just to close to my C/Ms now to give up where Im already at.

This probably doesnt help you very much (lack of company names) but overall there was a diverse crowd, some more willing than others to bring you in. IMO, Im sure many of the companies are tired of having fresh mates coming out of school, only to work a few hitches and leave for deep sea, so they start you out low and watch for YOU to move up the ladder, I dont blame them, I did the same thing when I graduated, like I said, hinesight is always 20/20…[/quote]

Did being in the AMO also discourage you from joining that company? I hear they have LNG contracts coming up and it sounds like a good deal if you can get by the initial costs I guess.

Yeah the AMO idea kinda had me shy away, Im not much of a Union fan (ironic in this business) but if nothing more than fear of the unknown with union benefits, lack there of, etc etc had me shy away. (Please understand these are personnel reasons, kinda got a good thing going where Im at vs venturing into the unknown, esp given these uncertain economic times) If situations were different, heck by all means give it a shot, see where it takes ya.

Im sure you know how it goes, everybody has thier own agenda out here, like I siad, my reasons could be totally oppisite someone elses. (If I were stateside right now, Id give you that companies (or even that HR guys contact info) but I wont be home till March)