Time to call BULLSHIT on J Ray McDermott

There are different territorial boundaries pertaining to states and federal jurisdictions.

The only nautical mile currently in use in the US is the same as what is used everywhere else:
1/60th degree of latitude: 1852 meters (6076.1 feet).

Nominally the US EEZ extends 200 nm out from the federal territorial boundary (12 miles from MLLW) with variations for depth.

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;194930]There are different territorial boundaries pertaining to states and federal jurisdictions.

The only nautical mile currently in use in the US is the same as what is used everywhere else:

Nominally the US EEZ extends 200 miles out from the federal territorial boundary (12 miles from MLLW) with variations for depth.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. At least a N.Mile is a N.Mile, that is reassuring.
Yes 200 n.miles is the EEZ that can be claimed according to UNCLOS, but there are two other claimants in the GoM.
There are also a spot in the middle that is outside 200 n.miles off any coast which is “open” to all, unless it can be proven to be a natural extension of the Continental shelf of a country. (Australia make such claim in the Timor Sea)
Just curious as to the status in the GoM?

[QUOTE=ombugge;194931] there are two other claimants in the GoM.[/QUOTE]

We don’t give a shit about them 'cause we have bigger guns. MURICA!

[QUOTE=ombugge;194931]but there are two other claimants in the GoM.[/QUOTE]

We don’t give a shit about them 'cause we have bigger guns. MURICA!

(To be more precise, the boundaries are dictated by extending the land borders over the water)

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;194930]There are different territorial boundaries pertaining to states and federal jurisdictions.

Nominally the US EEZ extends 200 nm out from the federal territorial boundary (12 miles from MLLW) with variations for depth.[/QUOTE]

It hasn’t been clear up until last month. But they came up with something:

I thought that may the case. #1 Might makes right!!!

(To be more precise, the boundaries are dictated by extending the land borders over the water)

Yes that is the median line principle, but how far do you extend the boarder line? Is there an agreed treaty, or does #1 apply?

It took 20 years or more for Russia and Norway to agree on the median line in the Barents Sea. Other places they have reached “joint development” deals rather than wait to solve the puzzle.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Emrobu;194936]It hasn’t been clear up until last month. But they came up with something:

It appears that Cuba and USA has finally managed to settle their median line: http://www.maritimeherald.com/2017/usa-and-cuba-signed-agreements-for-maritime-border-in-the-gulf-of-mexico/
(Unless Trump apply “might is right” rule again)

PS> It may not be so clear on the Mexico/USA side either: https://fas.org/sgp/crs/row/R43610.pdf
Especially since there may be oil and gas in the deep waters beyond the 200 n.mile EEZ of both countries.

Unfortunately, the link to the document is broken. The following article contains a bit more info:

My recollection is that the US and Mexico have an agreement regarding location of the offshore border, at least with respect to oil and gas. There are significant offshore oil and gas finds close to the border on both sides.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;194943]My recollection is that the US and Mexico have an agreement regarding location of the offshore border, at least with respect to oil and gas. There are significant offshore oil and gas finds close to the border on both sides.[/QUOTE]

The Shell Stones Project is very close to that line.

[QUOTE=AHTS Master;194970]The Shell Stones Project is very close to that line.[/QUOTE]

I… drink… your… milkshake! I drink it up!

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;195024]I… drink… your… milkshake! I drink it up![/QUOTE]

That was a great movie.