Thoughts on getting started in the commercial realm

I’ve been combing these archives as part of my research of maritime industry job openings, particularly in the Gulf, but also as a means of sifting through all the current requirements for various carreer paths. I’m really thankful to Kingfishy and Capt Lee for your valuable insights in other posts. I’m trying to find the best way to use what I’ve got (100-ton NC Master with primarily yacht delivery and charter experience) and make to best break into the commercial realm. I went ahead and got STCW BST and my MMD, but only OS rating.

I’m thinking of getting my AB special, basically a gimme with my 100-ton license, just outlay for a class and some paperwork. But…I really want to head down in the engine room, but the Qmed time requirement is a little beyond what I’ve got right now.

What I’m tied up with now is should I go ahead and spend the cash to get more training - AB and Lifeboatman, or stay the course and keep emailing resumes, hire a recruiter, or just head over to LA / AL / TX for a couple weeks to sniff around, in yachts the best jobs to be had are got by showing up not calling up - is it the same over there?

Another rumour I’ve heard is that the hiring has slowed over there since the region is catching itself after Katrina. Tugs hiring at $3000/day are going for $2000 now, that sort of thing. Thoughts?

<strong>Guest:</strong>

<p>
RPags,
</p>
<p>
I’d encourage you to take an entry level job while specifically requesting you be put in the engine department. In 6 months you can get a QMED of some sort. We need people in the engineering department. Our biggest problem getting people in the engineering department on the USA side has been the USCG allows beginning mariners to upgrade to an AB by simply attending an easy one week school and presenting their certificate while the potential QMED must either attend a 4 week USCG approved school or study on their own and pass a test at the USCG office so the requirements are a little tougher it seems. The engineering department is a very rewarding department to work in and if you are inclined that way I’d pursue it. On ships the deck and engine department are separate but complimentary. The chief and the captain both wear four stripes and though they normally report to different departments shoreside they both are responsible for the proper operation of the vessel. In practice the captain runs the business end while the chief runs the mechanical operational end and since ships don’t have sails any more that’s a lot of responsibility. Engineering is a good profession and not quite as “political” as the deck department in my experience.
</p>
<p>
Come on down.
</p>
<p>
Guest Engineer<br />
</p>

<strong>Guest:</strong>

Note to all:

Be sure to first enter the image code if posting as guest, don’t hit the ‘back’ button and do it later or your post will look as silly as my last one!

Guest Engineer

Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for that insight, you are reaffirming my own observations, and I really needed to get some firsthand feedback. I figured I’d get on a boat as a decky, work hard, learn, show some stuff and get where I need to go once I see it all first hand. The training schools I’ve spoken to ALL recommend getting an AB, and may be a good way to earn that first job. They seem to shy away from engineering recommendations. I guess because it’s more nebulous for the reasons you stated, and lets face it “Be a captain” is an easier sell for them. I love the wheelhouse myself, and the deck work is a great challenge, but technology is out pacing the old trades and making lots of new ones.

All that said, MPT in Lauderdale is reputed to have a couple kick-butt Engineering test prep courses - A 12 day QMED and DDE 1000 - 4000 and also a 17 day DDE Unlim / Chief / AE. Anyone have first hand on those? I’m thinking of signing up for the next one in May.

I’m gonna take my lifeboatman to fulfill STCW for QMED, keep the course on the job hunt, if nothing comes up by then, pack a bag. Thanks again.

RPags- I don’t know what your financial situation is, but most companies offer the training you are talking about or pay schools for you to attend. With that in mind, the best bet is to come in person to talk with different companies. Tell them what you have, what your qualifications are, what you have in mind. You may be surprised at what you encounter. Another factor is what kind of pay are you thinking of. I can tell you right now that a 100 ton Master makes way more than an AB, OS, QMED. I would not go with a recruiter. I recently looked up some local companies for an acquaintance. The following are a few numbers I got out of the local phone book:

Abdon Callais- <span class=“yshortcuts” style="cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed](985)-475-7111</span> or <span class=“yshortcuts” style="cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed](985)-475-4622</span>

<span class=“yshortcuts” style="cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed]</span>Bordelon Marine- <span class=“yshortcuts” style="cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed](985)-532-5333</span>

<div>
*Seacor Marine- <span class=“yshortcuts” style="cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed](985)-876-5400</span> or <span class=“yshortcuts” style="cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed](251)-824-4136</span>
</div>
<div>
*Tidewater Marine- <span class=“yshortcuts” style="background: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed](800)-678-8433</span>
</div>
<div>
Edison Chouest Offshore- <span class=“yshortcuts” style="cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed](985)-601-4444</span>
</div>
<div>
Dawn Services- <span class=“yshortcuts” style="cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed](504)-362-8994</span>
</div>
<div>
Fairfield Industries- <span class=“yshortcuts” style="background: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed](800)-231-9809 ext 7642</span>
</div>
<div>
Vane Brothers- <span class=“yshortcuts” style="background: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed](410)-735-8210</span>
</div>
<div>
*<span class=“yshortcuts” style="cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed]New Iberia</span> Crewboats and Marine Services- <span class=“yshortcuts” style="cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed](337)-365-3784</span>
</div>
<div>
Crosby Tugs- <span class=“yshortcuts” style="cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed](985)-632-7575</span>
</div>
<div>
Penn Maritime- <span class=“yshortcuts” style="cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed](800)-525-9238</span>
</div>
<div>
Danos and Curole Lift Boats- <span class=“yshortcuts” style="background: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed](985)-693-3300</span>
</div>
<div>
*Quest Marine- <span class=“yshortcuts” style="background: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed](888)-899-1664</span>
</div>
<div>
Dolphin Towing- <span class=“yshortcuts” style="cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed](985)-475-5585</span>
</div>
<div>
Eveready Marine- <span class=“yshortcuts” style="cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed](985)-787-2411</span>
</div>
<div>
Fagan Enterprises- <span class=“yshortcuts” style="cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed](985)-693-7601</span>
</div>
<div>
*Gulf Logistics- <span class=“yshortcuts” style="cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed](985)-693-7601</span>
</div>
<div>
Montco Liftboats- <span class=“yshortcuts” style="cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed](985)-632-3414</span>
</div>
<div>
Otto Candies- <span class=“yshortcuts” style="cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed; background-color: #dceeff](504)-469-7700</span>
</div>
<div>
Rigdon Marine- <span class=“yshortcuts” style="background: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed](504)-472-5375</span>
</div>
<div>
<span class=“yshortcuts” style="background: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed]</span>
</div>
<div>
<span class=“yshortcuts” style="background: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed]This was just a quick list I put together. Anyway you will make more money quicker with you ticket. A lot of these companies have web sites and offer more information about each individual company. Let me know if you have any specific questions.</span>
</div>
<div>
<span class=“yshortcuts” style="background: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; cursor: hand; border-bottom: #0066cc 1px dashed]Lee</span>
</div>

Capt Lee,

Thanks dude for that insight, and taking the time to compile that list! I’ve been all over the web and have applied to some of the companies you listed via internet, but in the end “Head out there” is what I’m hearing from you guys. Will let you know how it goes over next few weeks, take some pics, it’ll be fun :slight_smile:

Ron