Thoughts and concerns of the new Regimental Administrators at SUNY Maritime

You need to put that in a card for her next valentines day.

Chen, you sound like a robot…

What Maritime college and military system are you aspiring SUNY to be like?

[QUOTE=c.captain;110927][B]You’re a mean one Mister Grinch![/B]

[B]I LOVE IT! ENCORE! MORE! AUTHOR![/B][/QUOTE]

Thank you, thank you fine sir.

[QUOTE=albertpachino;110961]Thank you, thank you fine sir.[/QUOTE]

Oh why did you have to go and do that now? Tom Hanks is a man who is just consummate Hollywood primadona and not even qualified to be in the same city as Robert Shaw or Ernst Borgnine (or Lee Marvin or John Wayne or William Holden or Robert Mitchum or Sterling Hayden even)

[QUOTE=c.captain;110979]Oh why did you have to go and do that now? Tom Hanks is a man who is just consummate Hollywood primadona and not even qualified to be in the same city as Robert Shaw or Ernst Borgnine (or Lee Marvin or John Wayne or William Holden or Robert Mitchum or Sterling Hayden even)[/QUOTE]

Not so fast C.Capt.

We have not yet seen his brilliant portrail of everyones favorite hero in the movie “Captain Phillips”.

Al, you are a funny man and creative but… we pulled your poem because a half dozen users (4 fairly new and 2 long time readers we all respect). If SUNY asked for it to be pulled I probably would have said no but if other forum members flag it… we must abide.

Is Catie still employed in the school? I looked for her name on the website, and I couldn’t find anything.

[QUOTE=pointdel;136153]Is Catie still employed in the school? I looked for her name on the website, and I couldn’t find anything.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, she’s still there.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;105963]I’m no fan of Capt Hanft. She has no place in Education. The school needs to look into hiring more Mariners and not former Military officers. She’s an alum of the school, but I don’t think she knows a thing about the Merchant Industry.

One new rule is the two strike alcohol offence policy. It used to be three strikes over the course of your 4+ year degree. Now that they also do random breathalizing on summer sea term in port, instead of just people who are obviously drunk or causing trouble, you can end up expelled pretty quickly.[/QUOTE]

No drinking?.. NO DRINKING?

Why I can’t remember how I got back to the ship when in foreign ports of my tenure at the school (yes, it is a school)

What nonsense is this - it’s a rite of passage to not only imbibe - but to get in trouble, get out of trouble, steal flags and fail inspections… It is what made us a connected group.

I’m class of '78 - Much has changed in my absence!

[QUOTE=flyboy14295;136335]Yeah, she’s still there.[/QUOTE]

Amazing. Carpenter was not great, but she was the lightening rod for Capt. Hanft’s antics. There is no place in a SUNY institution for her. Who does she know that keeps her there and what makes her untouchable?? She conducts herself in a very unprofessional manner. Those students deserve much better!

I am having a really bad day. My son attends SUNY MC. I don’t want to go into details. He is an “adult” (just because he’s 20?). He is an exemplary student, athletic honor roll, IDO, etc. It has been a struggle for three years with him at that prison. Now that I have read everything about whats her name I am boiling mad. And I cannot intervene on my son’s behalf. What can I do about this woman? She is making my son’s life a living hell and I want him out of there! Who can I talk to?

[QUOTE=wilmared;155624]I am having a really bad day. My son attends SUNY MC. I don’t want to go into details. He is an “adult” (just because he’s 20?). He is an exemplary student, athletic honor roll, IDO, etc. It has been a struggle for three years with him at that prison. Now that I have read everything about whats her name I am boiling mad. And I cannot intervene on my son’s behalf. What can I do about this woman? She is making my son’s life a living hell and I want him out of there! Who can I talk to?[/QUOTE]

I some how missed this post so you might have fixed your issue on your own but here are my thoughts.

First like I tell a lot of people unless you are in a private chat with a forum member that frequents here a lot and is well liked do not give away to much information. It could make the current situation worse. I am sure Hanft has frequented gcaptain and she could easily find out who your son is. If I asked another classmate I could know who your son is. So I recommend editing what came after “exemplary student” out.

Now honestly I find it hard to believe she is giving your son a hard time. While I don’t like Hanft she doesn’t go out of her way anymore to make anyone’s life hell unless you bring stupid stuff to her and she remembers who you are. Maybe your son has done something you don’t know about?

If your son is doing good academically and is a IDO he probably has his stuff together and knows what he wants. Why pull him out of the school? That seems extremely counter productive and against his own wishes.

Yes we all dislike Hanft and I try and keep well away from her unless I need a higher up, but your son is bound to deal with more BS from someone at some point in his life. Taking him out of this situation against his own will is only protecting him from an inevitable future which is something I don’t think you should do.

I really think the only people you can talk to are the students that are on the forums and I think there are only two. If you want to PM me I will see if I can do anything or find something out for you. Otherwise I wish you and your son the best of luck.

I feel your pain. After three years we pulled my son out of there and he is THRIVING! I didn’t recognize my son after a while. This person (and her posse) took the wind out of his sails and stripped him of his confidence. “She” doesn’t belong at that institution. She is evil. It seems as if Captain Smith is tolerating it much to everyone’s dismay. If a student has to put up with the oppression, it’s the wrong school. Many of us have written to state and local representatives. I think the new president’s hands are tied or he is too weak to get rid of the staff that is causing a problem…and there’s more than just one of them! Our family is still hurting over the waste of time and money invested in that school. As an educator myself, I believe they have the wrong approach. If your cadet is so miserable after three years, have him transfer to another maritime school. This school has bigger problems than they know. Wishing you and your family well.

[QUOTE=Whiplasher;156206]I some how missed this post so you might have fixed your issue on your own but here are my thoughts.

First like I tell a lot of people unless you are in a private chat with a forum member that frequents here a lot and is well liked do not give away to much information. It could make the current situation worse. I am sure Hanft has frequented gcaptain and she could easily find out who your son is. If I asked another classmate I could know who your son is. So I recommend editing what came after “exemplary student” out.

Now honestly I find it hard to believe she is giving your son a hard time. While I don’t like Hanft she doesn’t go out of her way anymore to make anyone’s life hell unless you bring stupid stuff to her and she remembers who you are. Maybe your son has done something you don’t know about?

If your son is doing good academically and is a IDO he probably has his stuff together and knows what he wants. Why pull him out of the school? That seems extremely counter productive and against his own wishes.

Yes we all dislike Hanft and I try and keep well away from her unless I need a higher up, but your son is bound to deal with more BS from someone at some point in his life. Taking him out of this situation against his own will is only protecting him from an inevitable future which is something I don’t think you should do.

I really think the only people you can talk to are the students that are on the forums and I think there are only two. If you want to PM me I will see if I can do anything or find something out for you. Otherwise I wish you and your son the best of luck.[/QUOTE

When I went to the school across the water, I often wondered why the hell I was going through all of the BS. . . I just wanted a license and a job. . . A couple of years after graduation, I realized why. . . and for much the same reasoning. Having dealt with some of the most difficult people and situations while at school, I was very much prepared then later in life. Not sure if it was designed that way, but it did work out that way. . .

[QUOTE=wilmared;155624] Who can I talk to?[/QUOTE]

You can talk to us.

Or you can join the SUNY M Parents Association. Only concern with the parents association is it’s monitored by staff so you would need to be careful with what you share. The PA might be good for establishing a support network and then discussing specific concerns off line.

The only insight I can offer is to have your son try and maintain as low a profile as possible and keep the eye on the prize. (Getting licensed and a good job in the maritime trades)

He has 3 years under his belt, it would be a shame to give up now that the finish line is in sight.

[QUOTE=wilmared;155624]I am having a really bad day. My son attends SUNY MC. I don’t want to go into details. He is an “adult” (just because he’s 20?). He is an exemplary student, athletic honor roll, IDO, etc. It has been a struggle for three years with him at that prison. Now that I have read everything about whats her name I am boiling mad. And I cannot intervene on my son’s behalf. What can I do about this woman? She is making my son’s life a living hell and I want him out of there! Who can I talk to?[/QUOTE]

Calm down. You are getting all worked up about things that were posted on the internet two years ago. Hanft is bad pit bull, but it sounds like they shortened her leash up tight after the comments posted here a couple years ago.

Junior just needs to tough it out for a few more months, graduate, and move on to a good career. Don’t worry, Junior is doing much better than you realize. If Junior gets tired of going to sea, he can then choose a fun university for grad school.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;156362]Calm down. You are getting all worked up about things that were posted on the internet two years ago. Hanft is bad pit bull, but it sounds like they shortened her leash up tight after the comments posted here a couple years ago.

Junior just needs to tough it out for a few more months, graduate, and move on to a good career. Don’t worry, Junior is doing much better than you realize. If Junior gets tired of going to sea, he can then choose a fun university for grad school.[/QUOTE]

That’s what I meant to say. T-sailor just said it better.

[QUOTE=cmakin;156287]
When I went to the school across the water, I often wondered why the hell I was going through all of the BS. . . I just wanted a license and a job. . . A couple of years after graduation, I realized why. . . and for much the same reasoning. Having dealt with some of the most difficult people and situations while at school, I was very much prepared then later in life. Not sure if it was designed that way, but it did work out that way. . .[/QUOTE]

One BIG difference is that the kids at SUNY are paying a lot of money in tuition, room, board, etc. KP is free. After graduation, everyone will have to put up with BS from bosses. The difference is that they’re getting paid to put up with the BS, not paying for it.

Anyone who can get into KP can also get into all of the state schools.

If I were a young guy and had the chance to go to KP, I would take it. However, if I were going to pick a state school, my priority list would be; GLMA, CMA, MaineMA, MassMA, TMA, and dead last SUNY.

I vote with my wallet. If I were asked to help pay for a kid in the family to go to an academy, he would be on his own if he insisted on SUNY. I would not be willing to help pay Hanpf’s salary.

I’d go to KP so I’d be hooked up with a cushy foreign drilling job.

…And maybe work with that American Mariners association.