Thoughts and concerns of the new Regimental Administrators at SUNY Maritime

Schuyler Cadet are still required to memorize both the Sallyport saying and Riesenberg saying among others. I think it would be a false statement to say its forgotten by graduation. Many Domer’s willl remember these for the rest of their lives.

[QUOTE=“deckmate;107808”]Schuyler Cadet are still required to memorize both the Sallyport saying and Riesenberg saying among others. I think it would be a false statement to say its forgotten by graduation. Many Domer’s willl remember these for the rest of their lives.[/QUOTE]

With the exception of the Risenberg saying, as it is shorter, I challenge you to ask any upper class (who isn’t a reg head or IDO), basically your run of the mill cadet, what the Sallyport saying, much less where it is on campus. Most have NO idea.

I am a day student at maritime I will be graduating this may I have done four years living on campus my three cruises and everything, my first hand experience from when I began till now. Capt. Green who all the students thought was so bad and he was unfair and I’m sure many still think that was by my definition extremely reasonable compared to Capt. Hanft. As bad as it was to go through mast with captain green I couldn’t even ponder a mast with captain hang. My personal experience with the woman was last semester I am a day student living home and commuting to school two days a week, I was in some hit water with my demerit count from a few missed formations. I was required to be at ED Monday and Friday afternoons being that I was only going to school two days a week I also had a job and worked on Fridays 9-5 ED began at 4 which was my problem. I set up a meeting with her a requested to replace my mandatory Friday session with a session on a day I was there so I could still work, as a day student I had loans covering my tuition but gas and tolls which on the throngs neck at the time was 6.50 each way was on me so I needed to have a job. When I made my request her response to me was what have you done for Maritime lately. I told her I had been a rate on cruise (not saying paid my bill which pays your salary as I knew that would not have went over well) she asked what rate and said she hadn’t remembered me. So I told her I had been on cruise 2011 not 2012 (she was on SST 2012) she told me that doesn’t count. I asked what I could do for maritime and she responded the question was what have you done for Maritime and proceeded to deny my request for an alternate ED session. I ended up have to take out and extra $1000 in loans to cover my gas and tolls because not only did I have to take a day off every week till my Ed count was 0 I also had to make an extra trip to Maritime every week. At least Captain Green was reasonable and used logic when making decisions this woman just tries to show she has power at every chance. SHE NEEDS TO GO!!!

[QUOTE=deckmate;107808]Schuyler Cadet are still required to memorize both the Sallyport saying and Riesenberg saying among others. I think it would be a false statement to say its forgotten by graduation. Many Domer’s willl remember these for the rest of their lives.[/QUOTE]

Several times when running into a Domer by chance in public, I have found they asked me to recite it (as proof?) and have been more than surprised to find that yes, I do remember it verbatim after 10 years. I still remember that, the Reisenberg Saying and the Cadet Oath. Sometimes remembering them reminds me of a former Marine remembering his/her General Orders decades after their service.

Ok well just an update and some things for everyone to talk about.

Well the MT department head has suddenly stepped down at the end of the semester. A post earlier in this thread stated something along the lines of that person having good information that he/she heard that the admiral wanted to cut funding to the MT department. Well look at that! Anthony Palmiotti was either sick of their shit and stepped down…or was pushed out because the administration is trying to do a complete overhaul with the MT department. And they have without a doubt cut funding. Now that Pre-Cruise has started for SST a few things I have noticed.

There are without a doubt less Deck department Mates/teachers on board. But they did hire about 5 new Regimental officers who have been giving the regiment a good laugh over the past few days. I am seeing more Military personnel walking around in their camo then I am Mates in White boilersuits. This is absolute BS in my eyes. I am on the ship to learn how to become a Mariner! If I asked these guys a question about the Cargo Gear or Navigation or how to drop the anchor I bet they would just start yelling at me about my hat being too high on my head or that my sleeves are not aloud to be rolled up. (True Story). There is no doubt that there is going to be major conflicts between the regiment trying to do whatever it is they are trying to do and the Deck department teaching cadets shipboard operations. Everytime I ask about who the Mates are going to be on the Bridge or in the chartrooms or in the classroom all I get is a blank stare. It seems like no one knows what the hell is going on in the deck department this year and they are scrambling on all sides to put it together. This is going to be an interesting SST to say the least.

Another thing about funding, they are making us buy our own sextants this summer. Today we were told they would be taking down the serial number on our sextant to make sure we have bought our own and that people are not sharing. Sextant are not cheap and have never been an issue before but now they are. I think this is another outcome of the cut to MT.

I hope someone can shed some light on why the students have to take the burden of the changes being made. It is very obvious that education is not coming first right now. WTF is going on!!!

Camo!? On a merchant training ship?

Are they holstering side arms as well?

[QUOTE=flyboy14295;107817]With the exception of the Risenberg saying, as it is shorter, I challenge you to ask any upper class (who isn’t a reg head or IDO), basically your run of the mill cadet, what the Sallyport saying, much less where it is on campus. Most have NO idea.[/QUOTE]

The reason I don’t remember a single word of the sallyport saying is that even as a cadet I thought it was totally irrelevant and inapplicable to the industry I was being trained for. The Risenberg one is more memorable as it has some relevance and applicability. It was almost said by and about mariners, not civli war infantry. The sallyport sign could have been something left over when from when the Army used the fort in the 19th century for all its relevance to a maritime school.

[QUOTE=flyboy14295;107817]Several times when running into a Domer by chance in public, I have found they asked me to recite it (as proof?) and have been more than surprised to find that yes, I do remember it verbatim after 10 years. I still remember that, the Reisenberg Saying and the Cadet Oath. Sometimes remembering them reminds me of a former Marine remembering his/her General Orders decades after their service.[/QUOTE]

There’s a cadet oath? Did I take it, or was it something that started with Floyd Miller? I’m going to have a tough time convincing the people you’ve run into that I went there, I don’t remember any of this stuff other than I had no use for whatever was on the sallyport sign.

[QUOTE=john;108624]Camo!? On a merchant training ship? [/QUOTE]

Maybe it’s that ridculous stuff the Navy wears so they can’t be seen when they fall overboard.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;108659]Maybe it’s that ridculous stuff the Navy wears so they can’t be seen when they fall overboard.[/QUOTE]

That’s funny rite there.
Never could understand the blue/black navy camo. They’re not infantry, What are they trying to blend in with?

Not seen by humans maybe… But I hear that the sharks have no problem seeing it :wink:

[QUOTE=flyboy14295;107746]And the fairy tale story just keeps getting better.

Our newest Regimental Officer…[B]A U.S. Airmen![/B]

“Oh you flew planes? They’re kinda like boats! Welcome aboard!”[/QUOTE]
He’s a former Navy Master Sargent who is now in the Airforce reserve.

[QUOTE=Ragnar Danneskjold;109113]He’s a former Navy Master Sargent who is now in the Airforce reserve.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. no such thing. Perhaps you meant former Navy Master Chief Petty Officer.

He just meant that he’s currently a MSgt in the AF. Either way he’s going by his USAF Grade and wearing that uniform.

As a student that has been accepted, and will be attending SUNY in august, this thread has made me pretty nervous about it (Finding this after it was all said and done). While I’m sure some things are exaggerated in the chatting, its been unnerving to read through it. My plan is to stick it out for the year; and if it turns out to be exactly as said here, transfer elsewhere. What are your thoughts?

Good plan Sailfish. You will survive. And thrive. You should apply to the Casual Maritime in the San Francisco Bay Area and Arctic Maritime of the Great Lakes in Traverse City and End of the Earth Maine Maritime in Castine… Apps in by November… Texas Maritime allows year around applying so no rush there.

SUNY is at least as good a school as any of them. A few personalities seem to be chafing at the students … Things always change… Good luck

suny maritime needs military system in order to compete with others maritime college. slacking off on regiment rules will lead to corruption. this college need some changes.

[QUOTE=sailfish250;110134]As a student that has been accepted, and will be attending SUNY in august, this thread has made me pretty nervous about it (Finding this after it was all said and done). While I’m sure some things are exaggerated in the chatting, its been unnerving to read through it. My plan is to stick it out for the year; and if it turns out to be exactly as said here, transfer elsewhere. What are your thoughts?[/QUOTE]
if you are going for engineering i recommend you stay with suny.

[QUOTE=“albertpachino;110925”]

Sorry guys, but I can’t get her off my mind. There is no cure, I’m too deep in love. So deep in fact that I’ve written my dear chubby-bunny a love poem:

She say Roses are red
And watches are gold
now get on your knees
and do what your told

My ass bleed red
My bruises swell blue
My commandant’s a dominatrix
With a gunt tattoo

I love her rank
I love her class
But most of all
I love whale ass

A beast in bed
She takes me hogtided
She moves up close and
Smells like low tide

Her day cuffs are silver
Her night cuffs fuzzy green
I love being locked to
Her dirty latrine

Her passion flows red,
Her violet is blue,
she pulls off her panties
then plays with my poo

Roses smell nice
as do lilacs and lilly’s
Oh My god
She’s got a huge willy!! :-O[/QUOTE]

You have way too much time on your hands.

You’re a mean one Mister Grinch!

I LOVE IT! ENCORE! MORE! AUTHOR!

[QUOTE=albertpachino;110925]Sorry guys, but I can’t get her off my mind. There is no cure, I’m too deep in love. So deep in fact that I’ve written my dear chubby-bunny a love poem:

[I][I]She say Roses are red
And watches are gold
now get on your knees
and do what your told

My ass bleed red
My bruises swell blue
My commandant’s a dominatrix
With a gunt tattoo

I love her rank
I love her class
But most of all
I love whale ass

A beast in bed
She takes me hogtided
She moves up close and
Smells like low tide

Her day cuffs are silver
Her night cuffs fuzzy green
I love being locked to
Her dirty latrine

Her passion flows red,
Her violet is blue,
she pulls off her panties
then plays with my poo

Roses smell nice
as do [/I][/I]lilacs[I][I] and lilly’s
Oh My god
She’s got a huge willy!! :-O[/I][/I][/QUOTE]

Reading John’s poetry had me fighting back tears, then I click on this brilliant turd and I completely loose my shit.

Funny shit Al but I still gotta suggest you go see a shrink asap