Thoughts and concerns of the new Regimental Administrators at SUNY Maritime

Son is at SUNY Maritime. Yes, he does like the structure. No, he does not have power issues, was not bullied, etc. His grandmother was a WAF and spoke fondly all her life of her adventures. Hence, I also served and have great memories. We were both average young women, with quiet demeanors, and acquaintances are always surprised to hear I was military. No, I have no mariner experience.

Some of what I hear scares me – the necessity for clean boiler suits (although I can see why writing and drawings would not be tolerated), cadets unable to go on cruise, restrictions that might cause cadets to not be allowed to have liberty ashore. This is a SUNY school. Is there no outside control over this at all? The majority of students probably have their tuition paid by the parents. Is there really no recourse? If I pay $7,000 for cruise and my son is not allowed off ship I will be ripping mad.

I do believe the regimental system does teach a lot to the majority of the cadets and that they DO benefit greatly from it . Some will NOT get much out of it but it seems like those might be ones that are perhaps rebellious, or possibly do not like such structure and having to follow rules and authority, or they already have developed the maturity, discpiline, and characteristics that the Regiment is designed for so it does not change them much.

Talk of ‘sabotage’ and other measures is disconcerting. Can’t we, as adults and college students, go through channels such as Board of Regents or State representatives if the situation truly warrants it? Shouldn’t they have to answer to all of this? Can anyone go into a SUNY school, take over, and do as they please? I have no personal vendettas but am extremely concerned with what I’ve been reading in various places. I do hope this all gets resolved in a way that everyone is content with and is beneficial to the students. Perhaps I’m living in a dream world, as some of you will surely point out as you rip me apart. Please be gentle. I’ve never posted on a site but am worried about this situation.

[QUOTE=domer;107547]You’re right about Miller but the Rick Smith I knew would have done the same thing. And the Smith I knew certainly wouldn’t have allowed someone like Hanft to pull any BS aboard the training ship.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you about Rick. I knew Rick when he sailed as 2nd Mate and then as C/M. He was always a defender of the Cadets and I was really please when I learned that he was Captain now. I have to wonder how all of this B.S. is sitting with him as the Rick the I knew would not be one to put up with all of this shit!

This Hanft situation should be an action agenda item today at the SUNY Maritime Alumni office on campus.

But Alumni Association is banned from SUNY Maritime.

I’m sure they have their reasons, but gCaptain is a sorry substitute for In Your Face physical representation going eye to eye with the school administration.

He’s a solid guy. The old lady and I met he and his wife while out and about not long ago. Great people. Maine wouldn’t dick around with bozos like the other academy’s have.

[QUOTE=cadetmom;107555]Son is at SUNY Maritime. Yes, he does like the structure. No, he does not have power issues, was not bullied, etc. His grandmother was a WAF and spoke fondly all her life of her adventures. Hence, I also served and have great memories. We were both average young women, with quiet demeanors, and acquaintances are always surprised to hear I was military. No, I have no mariner experience.

Some of what I hear scares me – the necessity for clean boiler suits (although I can see why writing and drawings would not be tolerated), cadets unable to go on cruise, restrictions that might cause cadets to not be allowed to have liberty ashore. This is a SUNY school. Is there no outside control over this at all? The majority of students probably have their tuition paid by the parents. Is there really no recourse? If I pay $7,000 for cruise and my son is not allowed off ship I will be ripping mad.

I do believe the regimental system does teach a lot to the majority of the cadets and that they DO benefit greatly from it . Some will NOT get much out of it but it seems like those might be ones that are perhaps rebellious, or possibly do not like such structure and having to follow rules and authority, or they already have developed the maturity, discpiline, and characteristics that the Regiment is designed for so it does not change them much.

Talk of ‘sabotage’ and other measures is disconcerting. Can’t we, as adults and college students, go through channels such as Board of Regents or State representatives if the situation truly warrants it? Shouldn’t they have to answer to all of this? Can anyone go into a SUNY school, take over, and do as they please? I have no personal vendettas but am extremely concerned with what I’ve been reading in various places. I do hope this all gets resolved in a way that everyone is content with and is beneficial to the students. Perhaps I’m living in a dream world, as some of you will surely point out as you rip me apart. Please be gentle. I’ve never posted on a site but am worried about this situation.[/QUOTE]

Thank You for taking the time to Join and post.

We all agree with your concerns and you are 100% correct that there are some real problems there. You the Parents are going to have to stand up and say something. Maybe if some of the Parents get together and reach out to SUNY and let them know what is going on at one of their campuses maybe just maybe something will be done.

One thing that I would be careful with is keeping your name out of it because if half of what we have been hearing is true I would be worried about retaliation.

I hope you decide to stick around. Please realize that most of those on this forum have been sailing for a long time and (to put it mildly) can be a little rough around the edges. One thing that we are all very outspoken about is the state of our once proud and strong U.S. Merchant Marine.

[QUOTE=cadetmom;107555]Son is at SUNY Maritime. Yes, he does like the structure. No, he does not have power issues, was not bullied, etc. His grandmother was a WAF and spoke fondly all her life of her adventures. Hence, I also served and have great memories. We were both average young women, with quiet demeanors, and acquaintances are always surprised to hear I was military. No, I have no mariner experience.

Talk of ‘sabotage’ and other measures is disconcerting. Can’t we, as adults and college students, go through channels such as Board of Regents or State representatives if the situation truly warrants it? Shouldn’t they have to answer to all of this? Can anyone go into a SUNY school, take over, and do as they please? I have no personal vendettas but am extremely concerned with what I’ve been reading in various places. I do hope this all gets resolved in a way that everyone is content with and is beneficial to the students. Perhaps I’m living in a dream world, as some of you will surely point out as you rip me apart. Please be gentle. I’ve never posted on a site but am worried about this situation.[/QUOTE]

The only thing that works better than sabotage by the students, which is a time honored tradition that should not disconcert anyone, is angry parents. If sabotage truly does unsettle you, which it shouldn’t, then the best possible thing for you to do is take a firm grip of your position as a tuition-paying parent and give the school a right bloody good what-for. If it’s just the word “sabotage” that bothers you then “insurrection” might be more appropriate because there is less of a suggestion of physical damage, which is not what I meant by sabotage.

Never forget the words of the Marquis de Lafayette: “Insurrection is the most sacred of rights and the most indispensable of duties.” I merely encourage the cadets of SUNY Maritime to take pride in their rights, and just as their academy teaches them, fulfill their duties to the utmost extent.

Wrong. It can still be harassment. If your roommate regularly published your masterbation habits on-line it could be harassment but not libelous.

Cadetmom -

I agree with the above. You probably have more power to effect change than any one else posting on these threads. You are the customer paying SUNY Maritimes bills. You have every right to expect good value for dollars spent.

I believe SUNY M has a parents association with an email network. You should use your voice there to raise your concerns. A vocal group of unhappy parents is something no school administration can ignore.

Regarding the term “sabotage”. Please know we are not talking about physical damage to persons or property. It’s a term borne out of bravado and testostorone. The sabotage we are refering to involves the take down of arrogance and some over inflated egos. The objective is to return SUNY Maritime to a great school of higher learning free of over-the-top harrassment and intimidation.

The reorientation or removal of Hanft will achieve this objective.

I hear nothing but good things about Brennan. Maine does not pay enough to attract those kinds of bozos. The liberal academic faculty hiring committee would never offer those military washout bozos employment. Nor could those bozos afford to buy a house in Castine on what they might make at MMA.

[QUOTE=DeckApe;107587]Wrong. It can still be harassment. If your roommate regularly published your masterbation habits on-line it could be harassment but not libelous.[/QUOTE]

Oh my goodness - back 50 years ago this was not a problem - good thing too ~ :smiley:

Cadet, what in God’s Holy Name are you doing in the showers at 0300?
Oh, nothing ~

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;107631]Cadet, what in God’s Holy Name are you doing in the showers at 0300?
Oh, nothing ~[/QUOTE]

It’s MY soap and MY shower and I’ll wash myself however I want.

Hey, someone said the old way was broken, looks like someone begs to differ…

Wonder if this will be like this in a couple of years.

Interesting article but I don’t believe SUNY Maritime is all that much more star spangled special than the other Academys. The degree is the same, the license is the same and for a large part the campus recuiters are the same.

Are you saying a SUNY M grad makes that much more than someone from Maine?

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;107648]Are you saying a SUNY M grad makes that nuch more than someone from Maine?[/QUOTE]

Not a snowball’s chance in hell on the 4th of July. You could put just about any of the maritime academies in that same slot with the exact same statistics. We’re just such a little known band of brothers that the nincompoops who put this list together found one single maritime academy, said “Hey this looks kinda cool! These grads make a lot of money!” and then looked no damn further. This is just another example of how the merchant marine gets pushed out of the public eye, whether on purpose or by accident.

Hey don’t get pissed at me, I didn’t write it. I don’t know where they got their numbers from. Maybe other academy grads are taking lower paying jobs… I couldn’t tell you.

Some of the other maritime academies had other majors weighing in, which hurt their return on investment standings when compared to license degree tracks. In our case, Marine Biology, fisheries, etc. High investment and in a lot of cases, low return. I’m guessing Suny is more strait forward with just license track degrees.

[QUOTE=Lone_Star;107655]Some of the other maritime academies had other majors weighing in, which hurt their return on investment standings when compared to license degree tracks. In our case, Marine Biology, fisheries, etc. High investment and in a lot of cases, low return. I’m guessing Suny is more strait forward with just license track degrees.[/QUOTE]

This is correct. SUNY has a humanities degree but very few cadets are enrolled. They also have a Marine Environmental Science degree which is slightly more popular but starting salaries are equally terrible. There has been some talk about changing these programs to something that offers better opportunities after graduation but the school is slow to accept change. Neither is as popular as some of the similar low pay degrees offered at the other schools.

What you are all forgetting is that a decent portion of graduates at all the academies take shoreside jobs and, due to its location between Manhattan and Stamford Connecticut, the shoreside job opportunities for SUNY graduates far exceeds that of Maine or even Mass. More than a few cadets walk into 6figure jobs on Wall Street or at a marine brokerage house in Stamford. This, not the quality of education, is the reason why Schuyler outranks the other schools in terms of ROI.

Schuyler also has the best Master’s degree program run by Jeff Weiss, who is excellent! And Weiss does a good job at keeping the grad students pretty well insulated from the likes of Hanft! While this may not seem to matter to undergrads it, in fact, has a profound impact on the school. The grad program attracts people from some of the best Wall Street firms and places them in the same license classes as the undergrads. This, in effect, gives students interested in high salary finance jobs in-house mentoring and access to high level contacts outside the industry,

But if you want to go to sea then Schuyler has no advantage over the other schools. And Schuyler will slip in the rankings if salaries offshore continue to rise and the school continues to ignore the importance of Dynamic Positioning.

This was sent to us tonight, and as with EVERY email that she sends, the entire e-mail is in [B]BOLD CAPITAL LETTERS[/B]. Just have a quick look through and one can only say, did this come straight out of a Navy document? From the wording down to the structure, mis-spellings, and contradicting sentences…

“[B]AS YOU PREP YOUR SEA BAGS EITHER FOR PRE-LOADING ON THE SHIP (FOR THOSE ON SST B SPLIT) OR WHEN YOU LOAD ON DURING PRE-CRUISE, ATTACHED IS THE APPENDIX IN THE CRUISE MANUAL THAT YOU SHOULD ADHERE TO WHEN PACKING UNIFORMS AND CASUAL ATTIRE[/B].”
[ATTACH]3387[/ATTACH]

Reading things in size 30 BOLD font gets quite annoying, especially when you have to scroll just to read one sentence.

[QUOTE=ryanwood86;107653]Hey don’t get pissed at me, I didn’t write it. I don’t know where they got their numbers from. Maybe other academy grads are taking lower paying jobs… I couldn’t tell you.[/QUOTE]

Ryan, we’re not mad at you, we just get a little worked up about things on here sometimes, but it’s never personal, it’s always the subject matter. I was displeased with the nature of the article, not with the person who posted it. I appreciate your contribution to the conversation here so keep on keepin’ on!