Thoughts and concerns of the new Regimental Administrators at SUNY Maritime

[QUOTE=NYSeaMan94;107454]It’s funny because she actually sent cadet rates around the other night to warn us to refrain from writing stuff about her and how it’s harassment. The way I see it, it’s not harassment if it’s the truth.![/QUOTE]

SHE feels harassed? I just don’t know what to say. Other than I am even more convinced that ROTC4 is in fact Hanft.

OK troops - Initiate operation Wardenpoop.

Begin reaching out to your State Representitives, document all on-site safety and environmental violations, poll fired staff and departing cadets. Contact the Alumni and parents association. Consider generating a petition and run it up the chain of command - to the Govenors office if need be. If noise is generated from enough direction, it can not be ignored.

Remember - you are NOT prisoners. You have not violated any laws - only some of her random rules. You have rights. Be smart however and do not disrespect her on campus. Take it outside. Think multi-dimentional and asymetrical… The maritime industry is supporting you. You can bring this Warden down.

PS - Did not mention it earlier but document every example you can of her abusive style. Date, time, persons targeted, what happened, witnesses.

[QUOTE=NYSeaMan94;107454]It’s funny because she actually sent cadet rates around the other night to warn us to refrain from writing stuff about her and how it’s harassment. The way I see it, it’s not harassment if it’s the truth. I personally have issues with this woman as she fucked me over and I got placed on a crazy amount of restriction for something that was barely even defined as an offense in the rules and regs. I feel as if she made up her own shit. This woman needs to go. I feel as if I am wasting my money here to be treated like a prisoner. A good guy once told me that it’s not the rates who get the jobs, it’s the people who challenge the way things are. I don’t want to challenge the authority when I get hired, but I definitely challenge this shit here because I am seriously contemplating transferring to another maritime academy. Get this brig commander out of a state school, where education is supposed to be the first priority. Viva la revolucion![/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=lm1883;107404]At GLMA the cadets have the opportunity to live in a co-ed dorm without restriction. I guess a guy couldn’t have any fun in that kind of environment.[/QUOTE]

I have some friends that lived in the dorms. The dorms are on the Northwestern Michigan College campus. A campus that a good portion of northern lower Michigan kids go to school. Plenty of good looking women on campus. And if your hanging out taking classes in the summer, Traverse City is a huge tourist destination, you will walk around with your tongue falling out of your mouth.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;107409]You may be right.

The only caution is it’s so small - 150 cadets total, that I’d question how good their funding is for some fairly expensive caiptal equipment associated with the maritime trades. A simulator can cost $2 Million. Maybe because of their small size, they can say screw the simulator, we’ll take the class on a real ship out on Lake Michigan.

If I was looking for a maritime school, GLMA would definitely be on the list to check out.[/QUOTE]
While we could not afford a 2million dollar Simulator with DP and all the goodies like Maine and Mass purchased, we did get six of these Transas units and they are completing the full mission simulator right now. We do our basic ship handling class aboard a 45ft single screw old Army Corps tug and a twin screw USCG 41. The engineers have a decent simulator with 6 stations as well that will eventually be tied into the deck simulator. I’ll try and grab some photos this week.

[QUOTE=SomalianRoadCorporation;107446]GLMA has alot of applicants that already have 4 year degrees.[/QUOTE]
Very True. About 20% of the Cadets have 4 year degrees

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;107448]Another thing is GLMA probably only has 40 spaces per year.

If 160 apply, there’s your 25%.[/QUOTE]

60 spots a year of which usually splits around 32-34 deck and 26-28 engine

[QUOTE=Starboard Ten;107462]Imagine how perfect college would have been if there wasn’t a regiment?

You go to class with your best friends, live on or around a cool water sport focused campus. Maybe closer to 40% female… Sailing, surfing, fishing, tubing, waterskiing!

Spring break on houseboats on Lake Havasu. Semester At Sea exchange program aboard cruise ship Explorer from University of Pittsburg for pre-requisite liberal art courses…

The Quad reserved for frisbee, BBQ competitions and Jimmy Buffett tribute band concerts.

No demerits… But if you are not punctual for class you get your grade affected. Simple.

One can only dream … :)[/QUOTE]

Or come to GLMA as its pretty damn close to that. We can take a week and a half long spring break where ever. And as long as you don’t miss more than 10% of the required classes your good.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;107472]The Cadet Body at GLMA is150, only 60 applicants are admitted each year.
Attention Vets, GLMA recognizes the GI Bill.
FYI ~

https://www.nmc.edu/maritime/

https://www.nmc.edu/maritime/cadet-life/faqs.html

IMO, GLMA is the most mature of all the maritime academies, and the only one I recommend.
I wish the Academy was around back in 1958 when I was searching, but it was founded in 1969.[/QUOTE]

True about 30% of our Cadets are Veterans, and the TC VA is really good at covering everything down to the penny.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;107474]SHE feels harassed? I just don’t know what to say.

OK troops - Initiate operation Wardenpoop.

Begin reaching out to your State Representitives, document all on-site safety and environmental violations, poll fired staff and departing cadets. Contact the Alumni and parents association. Consider generating a petition and run it up the chain of command - to the Govenors office if need be. If noise is generated from enough direction, it can not be ignored.

Remember - you are NOT prisoners. You have not violated any laws - only some of her random rules. You have rights. Be smart however and do not disrespect her on campus. Take it outside. Think multi-dimentional. The maritime industry is supporting you. You can bring this Warden down.[/QUOTE]

Yes. The power of the people is SO underestimated. So much good can be accomplished with just a little sabotage. With just a few motivated cadets, a smart phone, a laptop, and internet access you could have this disease out on her ass in 72 hours or less. Never forget that you are NOT prisoners but that you DO pay her damn salary. Assholes who hide behind desks forget that sometimes. You, the students, employ THEM. Not the other way around. If you all just decided not to come back to campus in September would Catie Hanft be able to put food on her table? Hell no because Fort Schuyler would be out of business and she would have to tuck her tail between her legs and go home.

No matter what the circumstances the cards are ALWAYS in the students’ hands, the only difference is that the administration choses to forget once in a while. It’s your duty, your responsibility, and if you play it right, your privilege to remind them when the time comes. THE TIME HAS COME CADETS. RISE UP.

What bothers me is this, these Ex-Military types have the hubris to believe they know how to operate a Maritime Academy while they never got dirty sailing a commercial merchant ship.
Where the hell did they come from?
I know, they use the fighting men of our wars as a selling point, but they never ever done much suffering as those who gave it all or those who are forever crippled.
I’m sick of them and they infest all maritime academies except one, GLMA.
I have the greatest respect for both Maine Maritime Academy and California Maritime Academy. That said, GLMA is free of these leaches.

[QUOTE=Starboard Ten;107462]Imagine how perfect college would have been if there wasn’t a regiment?

You go to class with your best friends, live on or around a cool water sport focused campus. Maybe closer to 40% female… Sailing, surfing, fishing, tubing, waterskiing!

Spring break on houseboats on Lake Havasu. Semester At Sea exchange program aboard cruise ship Explorer from University of Pittsburg for pre-requisite liberal art courses…

The Quad reserved for frisbee, BBQ competitions and Jimmy Buffett tribute band concerts.

No demerits… But if you are not punctual for class you get your grade affected. Simple.

One can only dream … :)[/QUOTE]

I believe this will happen soon at some “academies” as we see the demise of something not needed presently.

[QUOTE=domer;107466]Wow, She clearly has no idea how the internet works!

Well said and I think John is clear proof of the truth of this statement![/QUOTE]

John may have helped me with that one haha

It is funny how the academies flock to the ex-military types. When I was at CMA the commandant was ex-USCG capt. We also had two ex-army guys as the student babysitters aboard ship and on campus. The army guys were actually really laid back and good guys the commandant…

[QUOTE=rshrew;107518]It is funny how the academies flock to the ex-military types. [/QUOTE]

History is overflowing with examples of how when times are bad, society follows the bemedalled, big hatted, pseudo-patriots. They are the result of frightened leaderless folks who believe that “discipline” and the image of a “hero” or "leader"created by the propagandists who feed off the defense industry is the solution to the downward spiral created by a corrupt and decaying political system.

We are following the example of such delightful places as N. Korea, Liberia, the Congo, Uganda, Haiti, Libya … just pick any of those places where they spend more on medals and big hats than they do on history books.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;107487]
I’m sick of them and they infest all maritime academies except one, GLMA.[/QUOTE]

Our new Superintendent is a 20+ year Coastie. He graduated from SUNY sailed up to Chief Mate then went into vessel inspection with the USCG. He may be ex-military but he wants to keep GLMA the way it has been and is working hard to make the school the best it can be without a regiment and all the BS. Without his hard work we would probably still have the same simulator from the 90’s.

Similar to Maine Maritime president.

http://www.mainemaritime.edu/president/510

Todays rankings would go:

Maine
GLMA
CMA
Mass
TMA
USMMA
SUNY

I have been thinking about the comment made a while back about her getting in the face of the Ship’s CE and started to wonder what would have happened if this Chief had been Chief Miller. The Chief Miller that I knew would have gone ballistic and there would have been a Mushroom Cloud over that ship.

All of you need to really study up on all of the rules and find one that you can follow that will drive her nuts. I remember in the late 80’s they were busting Cadets for not being clean shaven on Cruise. A group of Cadets found a old poster showing what was allowable facial hair. This poster was from the 60’s and showed sideburns that almost reached the chin line. Almost all of the male Cadets tried to grow them just like on the poster showed. Needless to say it drove the Regiment crazy but there was nothing they could do.

Maine had somewhere were they only specified the hair length around the ears… That’s the kind if stuff ton have to do.

[QUOTE=Tugs;107530]
All of you need to really study up on all of the rules and find one that you can follow that will drive her nuts. I remember in the late 80’s they were busting Cadets for not being clean shaven on Cruise. A group of Cadets found a old poster showing what was allowable facial hair. This poster was from the 60’s and showed sideburns that almost reached the chin line. Almost all of the male Cadets tried to grow them just like on the poster showed. Needless to say it drove the Regiment crazy but there was nothing they could do.[/QUOTE]

Love it. But Hanft would probably push back with something like ‘That was then, this is now BS’.

If the SUNY inmates are serious about breaking free, they know what needs to be done.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;107528]Similar to Maine Maritime president.

Maine
GLMA
CMA
Mass
TMA
USMMA
SUNY[/QUOTE]

EXCELLENT ~
Thanks, Jetryder

[QUOTE=GLMASailor;107527]Our new Superintendent is a 20+ year Coastie. He graduated from SUNY sailed up to Chief Mate then went into vessel inspection with the USCG. He may be ex-military but he wants to keep GLMA the way it has been and is working hard to make the school the best it can be without a regiment and all the BS. Without his hard work we would probably still have the same simulator from the 90’s.[/QUOTE]

The guys that work in vessel inspection for the long haul, especially the warrant officers, are, for the most part, exceptional folks. I worked with quite a few during my tenure at ABS and found most of them to be very reasonable. Some of the newer ones, especially the young ensigns were less practical, but often the warrants would correct that. There isn’t a lot of what one would consider “military” with the vessel inspectors that I have worked with.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;107528]Similar to Maine Maritime president.

Maine
GLMA
CMA
Mass
TMA
USMMA
SUNY[/QUOTE]

I didn’t know who Brennan was until today but I already like him. Not only is he not wearing an Admiral’s uniform in his official photo but he’s not even wearing a tie!

[QUOTE=GLMASailor;107476]
While we could not afford a 2million dollar Simulator with DP and all the goodies like Maine and Mass purchased, [\QUOTE]

SUNY doesn’t have a DP simulator either AND doesn’t send any cadets offshore AND they don’t have a single professor who has worked on a DPIII rig,

Do they expect all their grads to take union gigs with AMO for half salary? No thanks.

I say shit can the Admiral & Hanft then use the money to hire a few professors who can teach DP.

[QUOTE=Tugs;107530]I have been thinking about the comment made a while back about her getting in the face of the Ship’s CE and started to wonder what would have happened if this Chief had been Chief Miller. The Chief Miller that I knew would have gone ballistic and there would have been a Mushroom Cloud over that ship.

All of you need to really study up on all of the rules and find one that you can follow that will drive her nuts. I remember in the late 80’s they were busting Cadets for not being clean shaven on Cruise. A group of Cadets found a old poster showing what was allowable facial hair. This poster was from the 60’s and showed sideburns that almost reached the chin line. Almost all of the male Cadets tried to grow them just like on the poster showed. Needless to say it drove the Regiment crazy but there was nothing they could do.[/QUOTE]

You’re right about Miller but the Rick Smith I knew would have done the same thing. And the Smith I knew certainly wouldn’t have allowed someone like Hanft to pull any BS aboard the training ship.

Bill Brennan is a good man and we’re damn lucky to have him with us. He has done nothing but good things for MMA, the town of Castine, and the state of Maine. I hope he stays on here as president until he’s too frail to sign his own name.