Thoughts and concerns of the new Regimental Administrators at SUNY Maritime

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;107367]If it takes demerits, and a regiment, to weed-out such students perhaps SUNY needs to be more circumspect with the applicants accepted.
Also, maintaining a spotless boiler suit in the ER is way off the charts. In no manner what so ever is this close to the real world.[/QUOTE]

The school is becoming more selective with its applicants. This year is probably one of the best group of people that has applied to the school in a few years. It just so ended up that demerit-wise they were the worst. That has to do with the new officers and an actual enforcement of the rules unlike years in the past.

I agree that a boiler suit does not need to be spotless but there should certainly be a work boiler suit and a clean boiler suit. It absolutely possible to do a normal day’s work and get minimal paint and grease on a boiler suit. Everyone in the industry can attest to that. Everyone is taking this way out of context. Captain Hanft said herself that the clean boiler suit does NOT need to be spotless but needs to look nice whereas the work boiler suit can have more paint and grease on it. No problem. She made the reason perfectly clear. When we are in port on watch Cadets are to wear the clean boiler suit. It makes the Cadet look good and it makes the school look good when dignitaries from other countries come aboard the ship. What she has a problem with is the drawings, hand prints and writings on the boiler suits. That is completely unacceptable and unprofessional. I think we can all agree that in the industry no one is going around slapping the backs of others with a brush covered in paint. Doing that is just asking for trouble. The people that do that are the people that are going to be problems in the industry and unfortunately those people make up a majority of this school. That shows a complete lack of respect for others around you.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;107367]If it takes demerits, and a regiment, to weed-out such students perhaps SUNY needs to be more circumspect with the applicants accepted.
Also, maintaining a spotless boiler suit in the ER is way off the charts. In no manner what so ever is this close to the real world.[/QUOTE]

Hell at Maine thoroughly ripped/stained carhartt pants, whether in the regiment or not was a symbol of pride and hard work!

[QUOTE=RoTc4;107371] What she has a problem with is the drawings, hand prints and writings on the boiler suits. That is completely unacceptable and unprofessional. I think we can all agree that in the industry no one is going around slapping the backs of others with a brush covered in paint. Doing that is just asking for trouble. The people that do that are the people that are going to be problems in the industry and unfortunately those people make up a majority of this school. That shows a complete lack of respect for others around you… And that goes back to my last post about a certain group of people from a certain island in NY.[/QUOTE]

That’s what 18-21 year old maritime academy students are supposed to do. Most slowly grow out of it. Along with puking on each-other after a long night of chugging rum and possibly sharing whores… So if you came on my tug as am “observer” odds are you’d last a whole 30 seconds before decrying “LAWSUIT!” when your balls get broken over spilling coffee or not knowing where the bucket of propwash is.

gentlemen…

thank you all for slicing and dicing this “tool” for me…I honestly don’t believe I would be able to retain my composure throughout this thread if I was deep in the maim and gore of the battle. It is truly nice to be able to sit on the sidelines squeaky clean and unsoiled as a spectator for a change.

my advice to all is to keep the stick sharp and never quail its use though…if necessary, thrust it right through the head of the useless vicitim

[QUOTE=“RoTc4;107371”]

The school is becoming more selective with its applicants. This year is probably one of the best group of people that has applied to the school in a few years. It just so ended up that demerit-wise they were the worst. That has to do with the new officers and an actual enforcement of the rules unlike years in the past.
[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you’re leading the way with handing out the pinks/enforcing the rules. By the way, how do you know about the past years? How do you know what those guys were like and how do you know that the rules were never enforced until this yesr?

Heck, how do you even know that the school is becoming more selective than years past?

It just occurred to me that John is an old Schuyler-ite. Maybe this has been discussed already and I missed it but I would be very interested to know what he has to say about all this funny business. If anyone is a shining example of what comes crawling out of the Bronx at the end of 4 years he certainly is! I wonder what he thinks about his time there vs. what’s going on now vs. what SHOULD be happening. Oh great John, moderator, creator, and benefactor of gCaptain! Enlighten us mere maritime mortals! What thinkest thou of Catie Hanft?

I live with a suny grad, his brother is one as well. Both are top notch mariners who were running 30 knot ferries in college (and come to think of it, senior year of highschool as well, they got their 100tons at 17) and are highly respected in the passenger vessel industry. A lot of good people go to that school and come out even better. It’s the same at all of the academy’s. However it’s like the old adage, of shit in will give you shit out. There were people who couldn’t get it done when they came to school, and won’t when they come out, regardless of the regiment. It doesn’t magically polish turds, the good operators that come out would have been good regardless.

[QUOTE=RoTc4;107371]The school is becoming more selective with its applicants. This year is probably one of the best group of people that has applied to the school in a few years. It just so ended up that demerit-wise they were the worst. That has to do with the new officers and an actual enforcement of the rules unlike years in the past.

I agree that a boiler suit does not need to be spotless but there should certainly be a work boiler suit and a clean boiler suit. It absolutely possible to do a normal day’s work and get minimal paint and grease on a boiler suit. Everyone in the industry can attest to that. Everyone is taking this way out of context. Captain Hanft said herself that the clean boiler suit does NOT need to be spotless but needs to look nice whereas the work boiler suit can have more paint and grease on it. No problem. She made the reason perfectly clear. When we are in port on watch Cadets are to wear the clean boiler suit. It makes the Cadet look good and it makes the school look good when dignitaries from other countries come aboard the ship. What she has a problem with is the drawings, hand prints and writings on the boiler suits. That is completely unacceptable and unprofessional. I think we can all agree that in the industry no one is going around slapping the backs of others with a brush covered in paint. Doing that is just asking for trouble. The people that do that are the people that are going to be problems in the industry and unfortunately those people make up a majority of this school. That shows a complete lack of respect for others around
you.[/QUOTE]

Kid, you are not a mariner. You are not a professional. Your just a very twisted and brainwashed kid who is talking out his posterior hole. A lot of the people on here were professional mariners before you were born. Some of the people who are tearing you a new one went to KP, SUNY and other academies back when we had a US merchant fleet that the military relied upon and academy regiments were about the same as boot camp. Many of these guys were in the military. There are many maritime professionals here that have gotten a lot further in their careers without any regimental experience than you ever will. You better hope you can get into the Navy or the MSC, because you won’t last long on any commercial vessel.

Didn’t the academy teach you about the three laws of holes. The first law of holes is: When you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is STOP digging. The second law of holes is: Don’t be one. The third law of holes is: SHUT your hole.

[QUOTE=RoTc4;107340]This is also for everyone at SUNY Maritime, just MAN-THE-F****-UP. This school is not that difficult and the regiment is not an issue in your everyday lives. It does not interfere with your studies. If anything it helps you because it wakes you up in the morning so you don’t miss class and it tells you what clothes to wear. If you can’t handle the simple, easy structure I pity each and everyone of you on your first ship as a third mate. Good luck not getting fired. [/QUOTE]

My best friends, the people I respect most and the most successful and respected people I know in the industry graduated with lots of demerits.

So a poor regimental record never got anyone fired. Do you know what does tend to get people fired? Telling industry veterans that you are special and everyone else needs to “MAN-THE-F****-UP”.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;107376]It just occurred to me that John is an old Schuyler-ite. Maybe this has been discussed already and I missed it but I would be very interested to know what he has to say about all this funny business. If anyone is a shining example of what comes crawling out of the Bronx at the end of 4 years he certainly is! I wonder what he thinks about his time there vs. what’s going on now vs. what SHOULD be happening. Oh great John, moderator, creator, and benefactor of gCaptain! Enlighten us mere maritime mortals! What thinkest thou of Catie Hanft?[/QUOTE]

Well I’m not going to comment on Capt Hanft but… considering that I received multiple gold slips (for major offenses), countless pinks (for minor ones) , did more Extra Duty time than anyone I know and was referred to by the commandant as “The Infamous Mr. Konrad”… it’s safe to say I’ve never been a fan of regimental B.S.

I’ll also say that I wore my cadet boiler-suit - stained, ripped, smeared and splattered after untold hours working off demerits on the TSES - like a badge of honor :wink:

[QUOTE=Lone_Star;107310]This is so lame… they should disband the regiments at ALL the schools. Looks at all the fuss about it. You see it almost every day on gcaptain, and the people in the industry clearly know how pointless it is, and how much money and time could be diverted to other things… At least support a school like cal, tma or great lakes if you want to go into the maritime industry. These schools are moving away from this system, and soon it will be something of the past.
Effort should be spent on practical training…[/QUOTE]

Get ready for leagues of frat boys with third mate licenses handling multi-million dollar ships. When you make access and requirements so easy, then the quantity goes up and the quality goes down. More mariners = less demand = less pay. The regiments are just enough to repel those who aren’t serious about obtaining the license. The airline industry is a great example of how an industry is flooded when you make publicity, accessibility, and availability so relaxed.

As for the regiment itself…they’re a mild version of most High School JROTC regiments. Fairly small sacrifice to make since you are one of about a thousand (including KP) new AGT third mates who will likely have a job within a month or two. And unlike hawsepipers, excruciating manual labor is not a likely daily occurrence.

SUNY Maritime made a massive mistake by actually hiring a military prison commandant, I mean COME ON…

[QUOTE=john;107384]Well I’m not going to comment on Capt Hanft but… considering that I received multiple gold slips (for major offenses), countless pinks (for minor ones) , did more Extra Duty time than anyone I know and was referred to by the commandant as “The Infamous Mr. Konrad”… it’s safe to say I’ve never been a fan of regimental B.S.[/QUOTE]

As the saying goes; “The best behaved students become the best taxpayers” :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=RoTc4;107371]I agree that a boiler suit does not need to be spotless but there should certainly be a work boiler suit and a clean boiler suit. It absolutely possible to do a normal day’s work and get minimal paint and grease on a boiler suit. Everyone in the industry can attest to that. Everyone is taking this way out of context. Captain Hanft said herself that the clean boiler suit does NOT need to be spotless but needs to look nice whereas the work boiler suit can have more paint and grease on it. No problem. She made the reason perfectly clear. When we are in port on watch Cadets are to wear the clean boiler suit. It makes the Cadet look good and it makes the school look good when dignitaries from other countries come aboard the ship. What she has a problem with is the drawings, hand prints and writings on the boiler suits. That is completely unacceptable and unprofessional. I think we can all agree that in the industry no one is going around slapping the backs of others with a brush covered in paint. Doing that is just asking for trouble. The people that do that are the people that are going to be problems in the industry and unfortunately those people make up a majority of this school. That shows a complete lack of respect for others around you.[/QUOTE]

With all of the other problems to deal with, I think the fact that they are worried about people wearing GOD Forbid) Dirty Coveralls worries me more than anything else.

I guess it might be possible that this poster is a Cadet but I would put my money on he of she being a little higher up on the food chain there. They seem to feel a little too strongly about how all of this B.S. is a good thing and whoever does not like it can shove off. This sounds a lot like the attitude that started this discussion in the first place.

If this clown is really a student then I feel sorry for them as they are in for a eye opener when they do begin sailing for a living. The first time that He, She or It yell at a professional AB and inform he or she that as a LICENSED Officer they are in charge I just hope that they have the balls to back their mouth up as live will get very very hard for them very quickly.

These Kids that come out of school with these big chips on their shoulders are in for a very rude awaking as life onboard a Ship, Tug or OSV is nothing like school. The Man or Woman makes the License not the other way around.

Don’t have time today I’m headed your way. Headed to Portland for a family vacation. I will be scouting out places to live in the Vancouver, Washington area. I’m crazy from the heat and need to move away from the dirty south. It appears everyone else is picking this troll apart just fine ill keep checking in.

[QUOTE=Tugs;107388]
I guess it might be possible that this poster is a Cadet but I would put my money on he of she being a little higher up on the food chain there. They seem to feel a little too strongly about how all of this B.S. is a good thing and whoever does not like it can shove off. .[/QUOTE]

I do believe you nailed it. No cadet I know would revel at the new level of regimental BS being discussed here. ROTC4 is at least a senior rate trying to win brownie points defending their school OR perhaps the screenname for (dare I say it) Hanft herself.

Hanft - if you are reading this, for the good of your school, the cadets under your charge and your personal job security, please take the following to heart:

There are currently 4 threads on gCaptain addressing your extreme level regimental discipline. This thread alone contains 250 posts. Most the respondants do not attend SUNY M, yet their rejection of the new regimental culture at SUNY M is strong.

Continuing to defend your over the top level of discipline on this forum will not succeed so please stop. As you are aware, gCaptain is widely read by people in the industry as well candidates for academy appointments. If these threads are any indication, SUNY will soon be known as a maritime hell full of broken, despondant cadets. The result will be declining enrollment as cadets take their tuition dollars elsewhere. Your actions are putting the entire future of SUNY Maritime at risk. The arguement that a less strict regiment will be less desireable to potential employers is not supported.

You can still turn this sad situation around. Try substituting some positive reinforcement instead solely relying on negative to achieve desired results. Instead of only restricting priviliges for unwanted behaviour, try employing a reward & recognition system for cadets who perform well. (Use the carrot as well as the stick)

SUNY Maritime is NOT the military. It is NOT a detention center. It is NOT a correctional facility. It is NOT a federal academy where schooling is free to the student. It IS a state school where students pay for their education. The distinction is significant. Ignore the distinction at your risk.

The sophomoric tone of rotc’s posts reveal what he is: an overly gungho, brainwashed, and totally clueless kid.

SUNY’s hiring of these unqualified military retirees to run the school, and the hiring of this POW camp commandant to run a 1940’s style regiment are an enormous step backwards. It really shows how out of touch SUNY is with the practical needs of the industry.

The resulting publicity is doing SUNY a lot of damage in the industry. The attempts of some these gungho kids to defend it do even more damage.

I’ve worked with good people from SUNY. I feel bad for all the good SUNY grads who are working in the industry and who are now having the value of their degrees diminished by this bad management of the school.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;107376]It just occurred to me that John is an old Schuyler-ite…[/QUOTE]

"[I][U]Old[/U][/I] Schuyler-ite…? Feh.

J.D. Cavo (class of '80)

[QUOTE=SomalianRoadCorporation;107385]Get ready for leagues of frat boys with third mate licenses handling multi-million dollar ships. When you make access and requirements so easy, then the quantity goes up and the quality goes down. More mariners = less demand = less pay. The regiments are just enough to repel those who aren’t serious about obtaining the license. The airline industry is a great example of how an industry is flooded when you make publicity, accessibility, and availability so relaxed.[/QUOTE]

There are quite a few of us non-regimental alumni from academies serving as watchstanders or masters of some very new and expensive vessels without issue. We weren’t in a regiment because we didn’t need to, don’t think we diluted the labor market? Still pretty low volume when you factor in the academic requirements of not being able to graduate with a D average. No fratboy competing for my job! But i sure as hell can outdrink one. What about all those dangfangled hawsepipers that didn’t go through a regiment? A bullshit regiment based on a naval enemy combatant brig mentality isn’t doing anyone a favor in any way. The biggest issue at hand is having people with maritime, as in MERCHANT, experience in leadership positions. The problem with SUNY to a degree here may be how it is run beyond schuyler, as its just ‘part’ of SUNY and not an independent school. Mass and Maine are state colleges but operate on their own. The board of trustees and president run the place with input from alumni and industry and those who run things such as the regiment, ship, academics, career services ought to have the best interest of students success in industry. Those who do not operate that way do not last.

A loyal and generous alumni association is a self-serving group…the better the school treated them, the better they do in industry, which allows them to give back to the school to get better employees, its all a self-serving cycle; If I started getting from Maine these idiot regiment obsessed clean boiler-suit non-drinking enemy combatants, “leaders,” rather than maritime students I’d sure as hell make it perfectly clear to get that crap straight or they are no longer welcome on my boat. Problem solved…

At GLMA the cadets have the opportunity to live in a co-ed dorm without restriction. I guess a guy couldn’t have any fun in that kind of environment.

[QUOTE=lm1883;107404]At GLMA the cadets have the opportunity to live in a co-ed dorm without restriction. I guess a guy couldn’t have any fun in that kind of environment.[/QUOTE]

I certainly could.
Everything I read about GLMA I like, when asked what I recommend as the best maritime training institution available I reply Great Lakes. GLMA is by far the most mature of them all,

[QUOTE=jdcavo;107401]"[I][U]Old[/U][/I] Schuyler-ite…? Feh.

J.D. Cavo (class of '80)[/QUOTE]

Oh, jd, you are sooooo old.
I’m just a youngster.