Thoughts and concerns of the new Regimental Administrators at SUNY Maritime

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;107296]Wow that is the funniest shit I’ve heard all weekend. There is nothing going on in any of these regiments that is remotely close to day to day life at sea.[/QUOTE]

Fraq my friend…I feel I need to stay out of starting a major battle with R2D2 regiMENTAL robot because I feel it will turn extremely nasty if I do so I am asking you to take apart this bozo for me please.

[QUOTE=c.captain;107346]Fraq my friend…I feel I need to stay out of starting a major battle with R2D2 regiMENTAL robot because I feel it will turn extremely nasty if I do so I am asking you to take apart this bozo for me please.[/QUOTE]

As history has proved, in 1917 and 1941, the big powers can only stay out of the nasty conflicts for so long.

So does giving a fuck

All I’m saying is that (as I said before) the regiment is part of the license program. If you can’t perform within the regiment you cannot get your license. Finally with this new administration people are being held accountable for the rules and regulations that they signed their name to. It is their own fault for not adhering to them. With this new administration, if you don’t leave they will kick you out. Many students have been faced with that decision and been told that this year. The new officers submitted lists of Cadets, to the Master, that did not meet the regimental standards and that should not go on cruise. Needless to say, they are not going on cruise this year.

The only experience I can say I have is the Cadet Observer opportunity that is offered by the school. Regardless, it is experience within the industry. I have to say that having been in the regiment vs someone with the same credentials that comes “off the streets” gave me such a huge leg up. It helped in every way whether it be respect, work ethic or professionalism. So I would have to go against you on that one and say that the regiment does prepare a Cadet for life aboard a ship within the industry. I am going to assume that you are saying that the regiment is nothing like the industry because when you went to SUNY it was not the regiment that it is today. Again I say, if you do not currently attend the school you should do careful research before you speak. It is nothing like it was 2 years ago.

P.S. - What is a regament?

[QUOTE=ryanwood86;107342]Dude shut up. Telling everyone to GTFO and man up and they don’t know the regiment (and your name) just shows you are eating up this little power trip…

What kind of industry experience do you have? If you have any experience, you would know a regament like this is nothing like the industry. What class are you? You’re really starting to annoy me.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like typical “jarhead” BS. Judging by his username, ROTC-something-or-other, this guy needs to get back to the fifth fleet so he can amuse himself by pissing into the wind at Iranian oil rigs. This is just the kind of self-important numb-skull we all hate to sail with, and we have all sailed with one at some point. They have the wrong priorities in day-to-day life, they’re a danger to work around, and they’re a bore to live with. He’ll get hog-tied and thrown into a paint locker eventually and then he’ll learn…

As a proud former member of the first civ div at another academy, I really hope when you leave school you end up working for me. When you can’t figure out why the 45 year old deckhands won’t do what you ask and are tearing up your pink slips I want to be the hippie that laughs at you and sends you off to find the keys to the sea chest.

This isn’t the fucking charge of the light brigade fucko. Professionalism is something you have or you don’t and like I said, it starts with giving a fuck

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;107351]As a proud former member of the first civ div at another academy, I really hope when you leave school you end up working for me. When you can’t figure out why the 45 year old deckhands won’t do what you ask and are tearing up your pink slips I want to be the hippie that laughs at you and sends you off to find the keys to the sea chest.

This isn’t the fucking charge of the light brigade fucko. Professionalism is something you have or you don’t and like I said, it starts with giving a fuck[/QUOTE]

The First Civ Div! I like that! Can I steal it? I used to call us Echo Company (because we officially only have Alpha through Delta here). As a fellow sufferer myself I strongly concur with your sentiments. You can either swing with it (day-to-day life in the industry) or you can’t.

There are things you can learn and bad habits you can lose but there is a basic core that needs to be there and Catie Hanft, the regiment of midshipmen, and SUNY maritime have NOTHING to do with it. Some kids need a good whipping because they just don’t have any manners but turning the Bronx into Guantanamo Bay, Cuba goes so far above and beyond the call of duty it should be considered criminal.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;107350]Sounds like typical “jarhead” BS. Judging by his username, ROTC-something-or-other, this guy needs to get back to the fifth fleet …[/QUOTE]

Good catch Paddy, I missed that.

Hey, some insecure guys actually NEED the regiment because they can’t function in an unstructured environment.

Maine, Mass, Cal, Texas, Great Lakes - they all produce quality mates & engineers without resorting to constant harrassment of students. Their graduates also enjoy near 100% employment. Think about it = no abusing of cadets, same CG license, full employment.

So SUNY’s policy of oppressive discipline and spotless boiler suits is better because…???

I find your GTFO attitude offensive. If everyone leaves the academy without voicing their concerns then the problems stay, unresolved. You say that the school is headed in the right direction but also point out the current regiment situation as being unprofessional. I find that often it’s the ones who have something to prove that should be watched. The more strict regiment is not the answer but a response. There have been may extraordinary sailors who have never been in the regiment. To think the problems with the academy will be solved by having everyone do what they are told at all times is one-sided and naive. The problems are multifaceted and need creative solutions rather than a broad based GTFO MANUP or what have you solution. It’s easier to tell someone to leave than engage the problem and find a resolution. Consider this, some people see the bigger picture. You do not speak for all of Maritime.

[QUOTE=“RoTc4;107349”]

P.S. - What is a regament?[/QUOTE]

Oh man, you told me! I may go cry now.

Go write someone up for having a dirty boiler suit…

[QUOTE=“z-drive;107331”]someone once asked you once to mention one or two of those schuyler exclusive companies, any chance you could?[/QUOTE]

By the way, I’m still waiting to hear this.

[QUOTE=c.captain;107346]Fraq my friend…I feel I need to stay out of starting a major battle with R2D2 regiMENTAL robot because I feel it will turn extremely nasty if I do so I am asking you to take apart this bozo for me please.[/QUOTE]

Don’t hold back, Captain, Doug Neidermeyer is in serious need for your cogent inputs. This fellow needs saving, cripes, he’s a spelling cop too.

One thing this thread has done, it’s taken the heat off Kings Point for a change. :smiley:

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;107344]There are plenty of professional schools that require basic uniforms without having harsh punishment for offenders. Think culinary, veterinary science, nursing, basically all medical careers. Those students are able to follow the rules for the most part, and if they don’t they fail the class/clinical rotation/internship. Obviously there’s no need for a hardcore demerit system and these little tinpot dictators, and I have to assume you’re one of them, that it creates.[/QUOTE]

That is true but the system in place at SUNY is what is needed for it to work. I can guarantee that if it worked the same as those places that you mentioned it would fall apart. That doesn’t teach professionalism. I agree that it does not need to be military but there needs to be a regiment. We are not training military service members but rather training professional mariners. So there is a need for the demerit system because of all of the stuck up teenagers that have no idea how to act like a normal presentable human being. This place is filled with those people and if it wasn’t for the regiment this place would be a shit show. More so than it is now.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;107358]Don’t hold back, Captain, Doug Neidermeyer is in serious need for your cogent inputs. This fellow needs saving, cripes, he’s a spelling cop too.

That’s Douglas C. Neidermeyer to you, old man! That reminds me, the other tragic downfall of these jarhead robot idiots is their lack of a sense of humor. Most of them probably don’t even get so much as a light chuckle out of the ROTC scenes in that movie. Hell, most of them probably don’t even know what THAT movie is!

We called them core whores when I was in school

If it takes demerits, and a regiment, to weed-out such students perhaps SUNY needs to be more circumspect with the applicants accepted.
Also, maintaining a spotless boiler suit in the ER is way off the charts. In no manner what so ever is this close to the real world.

I take particular offence to these remarks. I myself am a Long Islander and would challenge you to see if it is particularly different amongst this age group across the whole United States. Many people describe me as very professional and I do work in many charitable organizations. You are the only one here who’s coming off as stuck up. Like I said before look at other professions. Law and business students can act professional without someone like you writing pinks. The ones who can’t, just like in other professions, don’t graduate or don’t get decent jobs.

I’m glad you know so much about training professional mariners before you’ve actually become one. They must have a real bang up curriculum at that place!

[B]I am still waiting to hear what company ONLY hires Schuyler grads!!![/B]

In other news yes the regiment replicates life at sea, if in fact the regiment consists of:
Drinking coffee, sitting on your ass, making multi-million/multiple human life/limb decisions a minute, troubleshooting a complex switchboard, jumping out of bed and immediately knowing what valve or breaker to throw in the dark, interfacing with clueless management/customers, and best executing the best interests of the shipowner, then aw-sheet, you are right!

Hell I want my money back…no wonder I can’t do anything right at sea or get a goddamn job, I wasn’t in the regiment/Schuyler.

This guy is a bozo, and c.captain, i use the word bozo liberally, but your mention of the “B” word in this thread really is a suberb adjective for this BOZO, I am thinking he/she will be going into their third year of school in the fall. Just an educated guess. At that point they’re the ones who got picked on in highschool and never got any respect; throw them in a regiment, and holy hell about 2 years into it they can’t get enough of the “power.” SECOND CLASS BOZO AT YOUR SERVICE, SIR.