Thoughts and concerns of the new Regimental Administrators at SUNY Maritime

[QUOTE=Smeee;107000]
He taught me more in 2 minutes on the bridge that I have learned by most teachers in their full semester of classes. We need to make sure he stays here or else this place is done for.[/QUOTE]

I guess you never took Mate Vecchio, He’s one of the best instructors there. Capt Nadolny is also good, I’d recommend any of the electives he teaches.

Is Hazelwood still there?

[QUOTE=cmakin;107013]Is Hazelwood still there?[/QUOTE]

Come on Carey, low blow you know he’s not there anymore.
SUNY has a real problem on their hands and you throw that out.
Our superintendent as you know an Army Colonel just kicked our alumni association off campus. He also stated at the DC luncheon on Tuesday that Kings Point’s primary mission is to train leaders not mariners. We shouldn’t be throwing stones but joining together.

Doesn’t the USCG need to approve the rules and regluations for the reg? (think i remember reading that in a CFR back in the day). Last time i asked to look at a copy they said there were none, now it seems they are just making up their own rules.

It sounds like students urgently need lawyers to protect their rights.

A class action lawsuit may be needed to get Hanft under control or fired.

[QUOTE=cmakin;107013]Is Hazelwood still there?[/QUOTE]

hey, I am totally simpatico with Captain Joe…he was a good shipmaster but got fucked by his stoopid turd mate. He is my brother (mariner) and we even kinda look the same!

Too bad Cousins wasn’t KP, if he was I could have a real field day with that one!

[QUOTE=tugsailor;107037]It sounds like students urgently need lawyers to protect their rights.

A class action lawsuit may be needed to get Hanft under control or fired.[/QUOTE]

I certainly have to wonder what the wording is with the agreement signed between students at SUNY and the university? Gotta be language protecting them. It isn’t the effing US military but a civilian public place of higher education. There have to be student rights?

Well Geez I reckoned you looked like Mr Borgnine.

Nyuk Nyuk nyuk

[QUOTE=leadline;107016]Come on Carey, low blow you know he’s not there anymore.
SUNY has a real problem on their hands and you throw that out.
Our superintendent as you know an Army Colonel just kicked our alumni association off campus. He also stated at the DC luncheon on Tuesday that Kings Point’s primary mission is to train leaders not mariners. We shouldn’t be throwing stones but joining together.[/QUOTE]

It was a legitimate question. To be honest, I don’t know what he is doing. There were comments about those on the Scupper staff that were good mariners and teachers and I was just wondering a bit. Was there some sarcastic intent? Yeah, a little. I am also fully aware of the situation across the water from Throg’s Neck, too. I don’t know how my comment on this board will change or have any impact (negative or positive) on the goings on.

That said, I am with c.captain on this one. We all know who the real culprit is regarding the Alaskan Incident. . . .

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;107003]I guess you never took Mate Vecchio, He’s one of the best instructors there. Capt Nadolny is also good, I’d recommend any of the electives he teaches.[/QUOTE]

I also liked Stehn, one of my favorites, along with Ducey.

In my last post I think I may have been writing through emotions and gave off the wrong impression on the faculty in the MT department.

Vecchio is a great teacher as well as Nadolny and Stehn. All of the teachers are great and are doing great jobs in preparing us and expect alot from us which is what we need to be good mariners. What I was trying to say was just that Captain Smith is a Regimental officer, as whom this whole thread is about, and also a great teacher who focuses on our education and knowledge of shipboard operations. I am not saying that the Regiment should be all ex-mariners. I believe Lt. Col. Stroud, Commander McCarthy (who left for KP) were/are the type of Regimental officers we need. They focused on the Regiment as it was their job but they would/do not let the regiment get in the way of our education. They want us to succeed in our careers and are two officers in the regiment whom a student could go to for advice and talk to and be treated like a human being. When I came here on accepted student day I was told the students basically run the regiment. They are the ones that make the regiment what it is and that the first class teach everyone, the 2nd class teach the 3rd and 4th class, the 3rd teach the 4th class, you get the picture… And then there are officers who oversee and help the first class make the regiment what it is. That tradition is gone. There is no camaraderie anymore and instead it is just certain people at the top micromanaging and getting their hands involved in everything.

I can honestly say I love the career I have chosen and I will be a proud SUNY Maritime graduate but it is a shame that there are so many of us whom when we get out of here will have such a bad taste in our mouths at what went on during our time here that we will probably never look forward to coming back for any reason.

I have been attending SUNY Maritime for 3 yrs and am to graduate this year. Even in writing this I am fearful I may be punished or singled out for my right to speak freely. I have personally seen the quality of this school go from bad to worse. The Administration is without regard to the best interests of the Cadets. Just look at the lack of charts we have access to, so we may create our passage plan more that 5min before Bridge Resource Management. Look at the simulators with their outdated radars and short staffed instructors who run the simulations. Look at the lack of access to lapware from day one so cadets can have a sort of self tudor in their off time. Look at some of the instructors that the department heads surround themselves with. Obviously non-threatening to them but also incompetent, thereby securing the heads own statuses. Look at the conduct onboard the training ship…at one point I was instructed to paint over a wet bulkhead. Look at the Financial Aid office where you are lucky to find someone who will listen let alone care about any issues the cadet has. Look at the three day weekends and lack of availability to the cadets in normal business hours. Look at the way this school is able to twist facts and place blame on Cadets(believe me I know not all Cadets are perfect). Look at the library and classrooms shut down on the weekends so there is no place to study. Look at the lack of a basic word program on the library computers so a cadet can write. Look at the shutdown of the school the week before finals so a movie could be filmed…whose interest does this serve? These are just a few of the concerns here at SUNY Maritime.

Now look at the “improvements” the new mess deck meant to impress though food quality unchanged. Look at the new lighting fixtures in the fort that were not needed. Look at the new building meant for Administration. Flatscreen TV’s that are not used. Look at the rise in tuition instantaneously with no changes or improvements to the programs. Look at the freshly painted hallway in the gym that did not need paint. Look at the monopoly the store has and requirement to buy uniforms only there at an inflated price. Look at the complete lack of checks and balances within this system. Where is the accountability?

This is not the way Cadets should be brought into the Merchant Marine. The system is one that is meant to dazzle and impress without real education or hands on experience. Having more regimental standards is not the solution, but having respect for those who have the tremendous amount of knowledge associated with this industry in order to be proficient, just may be. A leader is one who gains respect not one who forces it upon others. There is lack of accountability, no real plan to update or better the education in real time, and an overall disgusted morale here. It is easy to blame just the department heads but it has gone deeper than that. The extreme concern for profiteering and lack of concern for the Cadets and their wellbeing has added to the increased downfall of SUNY Maritime. I walk around the Fort and see portraits of J.S. Baylis, Sembler, and many other leaders who genuinely cared for the cadets. I would like to see Fort Schuyler restored to the reputation it once had. Not by dumping money and donations into a broken system, but through leadership coming from the heart and able to see the big picture within the industry and willing to fight to make sure every cadet is prepared for what is in store. I want to be proud to have gone here, but it seems that the former Fort Schuyler has become a dumping ground for soon to retire military heads as they gracefully soar into retirement. It is not too late for Fort Schuyler, but I fear it is for SUNY Maritime. Consider this a cry for help for Fort Schuyler.

As an aside, Hampft needs to undergo serious pshycological evaluation by a competent authority. I say this with true concern. I am certain though that with the current system this will never happen.

[QUOTE=Bulker90;107033]Doesn’t the USCG need to approve the rules and regluations for the reg? (think i remember reading that in a CFR back in the day). Last time i asked to look at a copy they said there were none, now it seems they are just making up their own rules.[/QUOTE]

[U][B]Not the Coast Guard[/B][/U]. MARAD, see 46 CFR 310.10. The school has to have a regiment, but no one has to “approve” it.

[QUOTE=Smeee;107100]I can honestly say I love the career I have chosen and I will be a proud SUNY Maritime graduate but it is a shame that there are so many of us whom when we get out of here will have such a bad taste in our mouths at what went on during our time here that we will probably never look forward to coming back for any reason.[/QUOTE]

Funny how that works ~

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;107125]Funny how that works ~[/QUOTE]

It really is. My Chief Mate is a SUNY grad and swears he will never go back there again, and says he actually hasn’t been back there since he graduated in 1994. Ho hum.

[QUOTE=Jake3992;106659] Yes Captain Hanft can be very rude and obnoxious but I think that this could all be for the better. With this tightening up comes a host of opportunity to increase the amount of training we receive. It seems that employers love the new locked up regiment, Wartsila in particular. Not only do we have a 2000kw engine from them in the lab [/QUOTE]

That donation of a $1 million diesel engine to the [I]SUNY Maritime[/I] was pre-Carpenter & Hanft

“Patriotism is the last refuge, to which a scoundrel clings… Steal a little and they throw you in jail… Steal a lot and they make you king” (Dylan)

It’s been my experience that a lot of this pro-regimental intensity is fully supported by the old guard of the alumni association. They resist change. Fought to keep the school fully regimented but lost. Angry about becoming “SUNY Bronx” since students are allowed to attend classes there without being cadets and part of the regiment. So angry that they fought themselves into a stalemate with the school. Off campus and kept at arms length. And content with the separation.

Whenever KP or Schuyler feels threatened with Fed and State financial cuts… They play the patriotism hand and militarize their message. Now keeping KP open is part of the war on terror… And SUNY funding keeps NY’s transportation infrastructure secure from Al Qaida.

I hate to see this desperation coming from current cadets trapped in this system. Hang in there, and if you can’t, transfer to that community college in Michigan that can license you without the regimental system. “Great Lakes Maritime Academy” or something. The whole license program there can fit in the SUNY Maritime’s Swim team bus… But who cares? They graduate 5 or 6 third mates a year and none have ever seen an ocean, and the campus is locked in ice from October until May, but again… Who cares? They wear beards and heavier clothing and have lots of big and broad cheese fed women for those 3 dog nights. And in the warmer months it is literally a slice of heaven in that town… Unlike Tremont Avenue…

I take no pleasure in stories like this even though my alliegance is to another academy.

The future of SUNY M seems grim. I can only speculate that as fewer students elect the regiment and license majors, the school will transition into SUNY Bronx.

My only advice is to keep your eye on the prize (license & graduation) and try to ignore the rest. Good luck.

[QUOTE=Starboard Ten;107236]I hate to see this desperation coming from current cadets trapped in this system. Hang in there, and if you can’t, transfer to that community college in Michigan that can license you without the regimental system. “Great Lakes Maritime Academy” or something. The whole license program there can fit in the SUNY Maritime’s Swim team bus… But who cares? They graduate 5 or 6 third mates a year and none have ever seen an ocean, and the campus is locked in ice from October until May, but again… Who cares? They wear beards and heavier clothing and have lots of big and broad cheese fed women for those 3 dog nights. And in the warmer months it is literally a slice of heaven in that town… Unlike Tremont Avenue…[/QUOTE]

My good man…You have a wonderful way with words and I comment you heartily, robustly and with much gusto! Now can you introduce me to some of them “big, broad cheese fed women”? Would be much obliged to you if you could help out a shipmate currently on the dog watch!

These days there are a lot more college grads every year from much better colleges competing for shoreside jobs. The unemployment rate for recent college grads is something like 24%. Of course a lot of that unpayable debt is the students own fault. How many jobs can there be for all those kids that major in social studies. Total student debt now exceeds total credit card debt, and the default rate is setting new records too. When that bubble finally bursts it will the cause of the next recession.

How does KP think its going to place the “leaders” its creating in jobs without alumnae assistance? The KP misplacement office certainly isn’t going to find them jobs. With the war in Iraq over, and Afghanistan winding down the military is going to be shrinking; they are not going to need this new crop of KP leaders. How does this new “leader” focus fit into the new strategic plan’s “brownwater” focus?

How is SUNY going to find its way forward with higher attrition and less alumnae support?

The only brownwater that I see is flowing is coming out of the administration buildings at both KP and SUNY.