Thoughts and concerns of the new Regimental Administrators at SUNY Maritime

As the first year of a new era at SUNY Maritime comes to an end, I would like to hear Cadet’s/Parent’s/Student’s/Alumni’s thoughts, concerns, or stories they have experienced with the new administration at SUNY Maritime.

I have heard some very sickening stories about Cadets being harassed, disrespected, thrown out, and futures being in jeopardy for some very petty reasons by some new faces at the school. Most in particular the new Deputy Commandant of Cadets, Catie Hanft.

I am very interested to hear some first-hand experiences as I have heard that the future and reputation of the school is at jeopardy.

I hope with this thread we can talk as a Maritime community whether those in command are qualified to be in charge at a “COLLEGE” such as SUNY Maritime.

As the first year of a new era at SUNY Maritime comes to an end, I would like to hear Cadet’s/Parent’s/Student’s/Alumni’s thoughts, concerns, or stories they have experienced with the new administration at SUNY Maritime.

I have heard some very sickening stories about Cadets being harassed, disrespected, thrown out, and futures being in jeopardy for some very petty reasons by some new faces at the school. Most in particular the new Deputy Commandant of Cadets, Catie Hanft.

I am very interested to hear some first-hand experiences as I have heard that the future and reputation of the school is at jeopardy.

I hope with this thread we can talk as a Maritime community whether those in command are qualified to be in charge at a “COLLEGE” such as SUNY Maritime.

sounds like she’s a jem and would be perfect at KP. I’ll call the chimp Matsuda in the morning and arrange a transfer.

Cadets being harassed and disrespected? Why I have never heard of such a thing. This is deplorable we must end this before the school and the industry get a black eye. Sounds like Capt. Force needs to go across the river and show these guys how its done. I blame it on stress from band practice. The upper class men are just taking it out on the poor MUGS.

I’m no fan of Capt Hanft. She has no place in Education. The school needs to look into hiring more Mariners and not former Military officers. She’s an alum of the school, but I don’t think she knows a thing about the Merchant Industry.

One new rule is the two strike alcohol offence policy. It used to be three strikes over the course of your 4+ year degree. Now that they also do random breathalizing on summer sea term in port, instead of just people who are obviously drunk or causing trouble, you can end up expelled pretty quickly.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;105963]I’m no fan of Capt Hanft. She has no place in Education. The school needs to look into hiring more Mariners and not former Military officers. She’s an alum of the school, but I don’t think she knows a thing about the Merchant Industry.

One new rule is the two strike alcohol offence policy. It used to be three strikes over the course of your 4+ year degree. Now that they also do random breathalizing on summer sea term in port, instead of just people who are obviously drunk or causing trouble, you can end up expelled pretty quickly.[/QUOTE]

What a sad state of affairs since my days at KP, a half century ago, when our Nation had a Merchant Marine.

I got out last year and could see the first changes taking place and knew it was going to get worse. To start I think most of the administators at the school have no place there, and are making changes which could seriously impact the reputation and quality of the place. They continue to increase the “importance” of the reg and making sure everyone is in proper uniform, rather than looking at the needs of the industry (both sailing and shore side). The industry is becoming more complex with new regulations and requirements, and rather than address those issues the administation thinks that having a clean shave every morning is more important. The main goal of the school is training and education cadets and students for a career in the maritime industry (both sailing and shore side). By placing regimental concerans over educational requirments (giving ED for missing formation because of studying for license or tests), the administators are cheating cadets. The fact that they have lasted this long is just proof that cadets, students, parents, and alumni have not realized the indjusdices the administaion has done to the cadets and school. I’m not surprised to hear about harassment, being disrespected (I was several times by that administation), and jeporzing cadets future for minor incidents, the place was quickly turning into a prison camp (even more so that it already was) when I left. They treat you more and more like a 4 year old then talk about how you need to take reponsibility and act like an adult. If you want people to act responsible and like adults treat them as adults.

just my 2 cents

From what I understand, SUNY hired an ex-Brig Commander, which is if I understand correctly, someone who was in charge of running military prisons, and put her in charge of a college regiment. I have heard stories of very unprofessional behavior and complete disregard for the students. From what I have read online she has pending court cases in the supreme court for her actions as Brig Commander. I just dont see how SUNY could put someone with her past in charge of a program where paying customers, not terrorist or military personnel, are involved.

Just to clear up the court case thing. It’s a Civil Suit, not a criminal one. And I don’t think it’s even been heard at a lower US District Court yet. But I agree, she has nothing in her work history that would suggest she’s the right person for the job.

She must have an objective to resolve the issue of dorm overcrowing and lack of sufficient berths on the Empire State.

I think she will meet that objective.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;105963]I’m no fan of Capt Hanft. She has no place in Education. The school needs to look into hiring more Mariners and not former Military officers. She’s an alum of the school, but I don’t think she knows a thing about the Merchant Industry.

One new rule is the two strike alcohol offence policy. It used to be three strikes over the course of your 4+ year degree. Now that they also do random breathalizing on summer sea term in port, instead of just people who are obviously drunk or causing trouble, you can end up expelled pretty quickly.[/QUOTE]

Hmm. Seems to me that there are two ways to get around that problem.

Thought drinking in port on cruise was what youre supposed to do?

[QUOTE=z-drive;106090]Thought drinking in port on cruise was what youre supposed to do?[/QUOTE]

Me too…

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;106091]Me too…[/QUOTE]

Now I see why the other thread about getting that commercial cruise assignment becomes important. . .

[QUOTE=cmakin;106095]Now I see why the other thread about getting that commercial cruise assignment becomes important. . .[/QUOTE]

Especially if you’re under 21

She may be a ball buster but she is also very cute and can dance! Here’s a picture of her winning some world record for the cha-cha-cha

Can one of you K-dets get me her phone number? I think I’ in love :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=albertpachino;106108]She may be a ball buster but she is also very cute and can dance! Here’s a picture of her winning some world record for the cha-cha-cha

Can one of you K-dets get me her phone number? I think I’ in love :p[/QUOTE]

Albert, you, Sir, are a true Merchant Seaman.

[QUOTE=albertpachino;106108]She may be a ball buster but she is also very cute and can dance! Here’s a picture of her winning some world record for the cha-cha-cha

What was it they said about occasions like this in the movie Super Troopers? “There was a time when we’d take a guy like you in the back and beat you with a hose. Now you’ve got your God-damned unions.” That’s how I feel about this lady. When did we start putting up with this B.S.?

We really need to take up a collection and get albertpachino laid.

As a regimental student at SUNY, i can tell you that saying the name “hanft” around campus makes people cringe as if hitler himself was there. To say the future of SUNY Maritime is doomed if she stays in a understatement. The schools reputation is already hurt and donations have been to a minimum. Hanft has no business at a college or any school, especially a SUNY school with paying students. She has no respect for anyone at the school, students and her co-workers included, she disrespects them in public or during formation leaving other cadets speechless. She throws tantrums often and is more or less a loose canon.
Her number one priority is impeccably spotless uniforms, including the boil suites we work in… last year on summer sea term she yelled at the chief engineer because his white boiler suit had dirt on it, once again leaving us speechless, she also yelled at other paid Empire State crew for having dirty boiler suits and threatened to send them home. This year for summer sea term she forced all cadets to buy 2 new boiler suits at $40 a piece (only allowed them to be bought at the overpriced school store) she wants to one work in and one to stand at formations in, we have 3 formations a day on cruise which means changing boiler suits 6 times a day just so we are clean to stand there for 15 minutes. Last year she started sneaking into cadet berthing holds at night and taking whatever cadets left on the floor in front of their racks, this included our boil suits, boots, ect saying that they were a safety hazard. Last year a few students showed up to the engine room for watch in jeans and a t shirt because Hanft took all of their stuff in the middle of the night and refused to give it back. We now have uniform inspections around 3-4 times per week during the school year.
She has also changed the “restriction” policy on land, restriction means a student cannot leave campus at all for any reason for 1 month intervals depending on what major offense the student committed, in the past something like a drinking offense would leave a student with 1 month of restriction. Under “Hanfts ruling” multiple restriction months are giving for minor things such as an upperclassman hanging out with a MUG, or not signing the school contract. to ensure you dont leave campus they used to have restriction musters 3 times per day on week days and 3 times per day on weekends. She also changed this to 3 times on weekdays 4am, 7am, 11am, and 7 times per day on weekends, 7am, 9am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm, 11pm, 1am, leaving students with only 5 hours of sleep. While on restriction she doesnt allow you to leave for any reason, there are plenty of stories of Hanft not letting restricted students leave for family funerals. She tells students that HER regiment comes before family, friends, and work. She said if you have to work to go to college then the regiment isnt for you.
Hanft is incredibly unapproachable and getting called into her office for anything is always a terrible experience, she rips you apart and tells you off for anything you go in there for, students try to record her when they go into her office. Because of this she is trying to start a new policy of taking your phone when you go into her office so you cant try and record how you got your second asshole lmao. She always has to have 2 other officers in her office during meeting because of her multiple past sexual harassment charges while at SUNY.

-BOTTOM LINE IS SHE HAS TO LEAVE-
many students have called SUNY and they dont seem to care whats going on at all