This one's gotta be a contender for most ugly vessel in history

I mean BUTT FUCKING UGLY!

[B]First X-Stern hull arrives at Ulstein Verft[/B]

JANUARY 6, 2016 — The hull of the first of two innovative offshore wind industry Service Operation Vessels (SOV) arrived at Ulstein’s Ulsteinvik shipyard, Norway, January 3, from Poland.

The vessels are being built for Germany’s Bernhard Schulte Offshore GmbH and will be Ulstein’s first for the offshore wind industry — and the first to feature its innovative X-Stern (see earlier story).

A vessel with the X-Stern can be positioned with the stern faced towards the weather instead of the bow, leading to improved weather resistance, greater operability and reduced power and fuel consumption while on DP mode. It is a further development of Ulstein’s X-Bow.

During the coming months, the newly delivered SOV hull will be outfitted and get its final coating, before sea trials start in the late spring. Starting this summer, the vessel will work at the Gemini wind farm in the Netherlands for Siemens Wind Power Service.

Main particulars: Length 88 m, breadth 18 m, speed 13.5 knots and accommodations for 60 people.

Botruc…

I’m sure olebuggy will be by soon to tell us it’s the greatest design ever dreamed up by Norge shipbuilders.

[QUOTE=injunear;176711]Botruc…[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha it does kind of resemble that old design a little bit

It may not be the prettiest of ships, but which modern ship is?
This one?

Or this one?

Or some of the Offshore vessels in this world?

The question to be asked is:

• Is it safe, practical and efficient for the tasks it is designed to do?
  • Is it economical in operation?
  • Has it got the best and most up to date equipment available?
  • Is it comfortable for the crew and pax on board under all conditions and operations?

Question NOT needed to be asked:

• Has it been built in the USA?

To be fair, the first isn’t finished yet, but yeah, pretty damn ugly. . . but, in MY humble opinion, the last vessel I sailed on beats them all. . . .

1 Like

[QUOTE=cmakin;176728]… the last vessel I sailed on beats them all. . . . [/QUOTE]

Aside from visual pollution, that wheelhouse must have been a real treat in a following breeze.

But like the old saying goes - “form follows function”

I wonder what the Admiral woulda thunk of this: USS Zumwalt, DDG-1000

[QUOTE=Steamer;176730]Aside from visual pollution, that wheelhouse must have been a real treat in a following breeze.

But like the old saying goes - “form follows function”[/QUOTE]

Made a trip out of the notch from Pascagoula to Tampa back in early 88. Lucky no one was killed. Absolute disaster shortening up in heavy weather approaching Tampa. . . .

Cmakin, the Mighty Deliverer has my vote. Maybe the Unsightly Deliverer?

[QUOTE=Eyegor;176744]Cmakin, the Mighty Deliverer has my vote. Maybe the Unsightly Deliverer?[/QUOTE]

She was the BELCHER PORT EVERGLADES when I sailed on her.

[QUOTE=cmakin;176728]To be fair, the first isn’t finished yet, but yeah, pretty damn ugly. . . but, in MY humble opinion, the last vessel I sailed on beats them all. . . .

[/QUOTE]

Whatever the designer was on must be banned!!!

Wow that tug looks like something drawn on a bar napkin.

1 Like

[QUOTE=cmakin;176740]Made a trip out of the notch from Pascagoula to Tampa back in early 88. Lucky no one was killed. Absolute disaster shortening up in heavy weather approaching Tampa. . . .[/QUOTE]

Belcher was one of the first companies I applied for a job when I left the oilfield in’85. I was turned down because I wasn’t an academy grad. A year or so later, I believe this tug was in the shipyard in Tampa with a thrown rod.

[QUOTE=cmakin;176746]She was the BELCHER PORT EVERGLADES when I sailed on her.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=salt’n steel;176753]Wow that tug looks like something drawn on a bar napkin.[/QUOTE]

It looks like something belched up into a bar napkin.

Not going to try and post from my phone, but the Jo-Anne Reinauer is terrible. Close second is the Dace.

This one is kind of nasty looking :slight_smile:

And with a slap of paint it will not look as bad as the picture c.captain used. It will at least look as something build in the 21st century.

[QUOTE=injunear;176755]Belcher was one of the first companies I applied for a job when I left the oilfield in’85. I was turned down because I wasn’t an academy grad. A year or so later, I believe this tug was in the shipyard in Tampa with a thrown rod.[/QUOTE]

Don’t know about that. I do know that Belcher built two of them. The TAMPA and the PORT EVERGLADES. Slow speed B&W 7L67GF engine with over 15K Hp. . . .The TAMPA and her barge sunk in the deepest part of the Gulf. At the time they were built, they were the largest US built tugs. . . really dangerous attachment in the notch. . . which is one reason why the TAMPA sunk. . . . when I sailed on the EVERGLADES in 88, the only Academy people other than me were in the wheelhouse. . .

[QUOTE=z-drive;176762]…Close second is the Dace.[/QUOTE]

The Dace Reinauer is why I am not practicing law. The litigation over the delivery trip for Boston Harbor sewage barges made me realize I hate litigation and don’t wnat any part of it.

2 Likes

I read through some of the case that I found online, as a non-attorney I found it absolutely ridiculous. The bow fell off!