This is certainly a very hard place to find oneself and it's killing me!

[QUOTE=txwooley;165527]What’s with running off the new guys? When I read Berke Deveci’s original post and the grammar policing that followed I knew that English was not this guys first language. He came on here, into the Cadet section I might add, to ask about school functions. He did not get disrespectful or belligerent until he was attacked for his ill use of English grammar. How well do you speak Turkish? That’s what I thought.

I am honestly appalled that John or Mikey or whomever hasn’t put a stop to the way new guys get treated on here. One day when c.captain and Kennebec Captain and the other ‘old timers’ move on, there won’t be anyone left and the forums will die a slow and painful death because new blood was never allowed to flow and the new guys distance themselves from a forum that does nothing but insult and attack them both personally and professionally.[/QUOTE]

I thought his command of English was just fine. I gave him a smart-alecky reply when he said he was going to outlast some long time poster. If someone is going to leave a message board because he was referred to as a “fart in the breeze” then he needs to grow a thicker skin, I didn’t read the other comments directed at him :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=catherder;165553]I thought his command of English was just fine. I gave him a smart-alecky reply when he said he was going to outlast some long time poster. If someone is going to leave a message board because he was referred to as a “fart in the breeze” then he needs to grow a thicker skin, [/QUOTE]

I agree, it was his smartass attitude when replying to a very longstanding member here (longer tenure than even myselk). The miserable whelp needed his head handed to him to teach him a life lesson that you don’t walk into a biker bar and scream in a high pitched squeaky voice that you think the regulars are all pussies. That is a sure fire way to have some teeth extracted with a blunt object!

I was wondering where your pointy stick was in the Ton Bethel thread. Don’t worry, I’ve got the pointy stick for him all ready to go. I learned from the best. Heh.

gonna say this about the AIVIQ thread and “paper masters”…there is only one “master” of any vessel and he commands all persons aboard it. If ECO somehow has subverted the master to answering to a “anchor captain” then SHAME upon the man who has SOLD HIS LICENSE for the piece of silver.

I remember the very bad old days on the late 80’s and early 90’s on the factory trawlers in the Bering Sea where the American “master” answered to a Norwegian “fish master”. I tried it once and one trip was all it took for me. The FUCKING Norskie COCKSUCKER cared nothing for the liability I carried and to him, I was expendable if he winched up bags of pollock which were much too big and heavy for the winches. I saw 1" wires part under overload and men dive for their lives. I have seen cranes used to try to add that little bit more pull. I have seen men go down the sternramp and out onto a codend to cut some meshes to try to lighten the bag. All for the greater glory of making a trip 6hours shorter than it would have been if they hauled back 1/2 hour sooner.

NO FUCKING WAY SHOULD ANY MAN EVER SUBVERT HIS AUTHORITY AS MASTER JUST TO MAKE JOE BOSS PLEASED WITH HIM! I DON’T CARE HOW MUCH THE MASTER IS BEING PAID!

Hehehehehe, Finally I found out why you have such a short temper when it comes to Norwegians :slight_smile:

Well old man we don’t agree on much but the master is in charge of his vessel end of story. Whether a pilot is onboard or he is dead asleep he’s in charge. Hell I don’t know if any masters ego would allow him to play second fiddle to anyone onboard his vessel.

[QUOTE=Kraken;165798]Hehehehehe, Finally I found out why you have such a short temper when it comes to Norwegians :)[/QUOTE]
Only if you’re from SOUTHERN Norway…

I agree with you up to a point. If the Masters knew they couldn’t do the Job they should have never taken it!!! But now that they have. It would be irresponsible on their part to try to do an operation that they are not experience enough to do. For example- when a container ship pull up to port a state pilot take over the primary responsibility of maneuvering the vessel and communicating with traffic or VTS. This doesn’t mean that the Master has relinquish his authority to the state pilot. I can only hope that this is the case on the AIVIQ. The so call Anchor Captain is only there to assist on the safe operation of anchor handling. Just like a state pilot is on a tanker assisting on the safe navigation and maneuvering.

I believe the problem starts with self impose titles and egos. Our industry (offshore) need to get use to the idea that just because you hold a masters ticket it doesn’t make you a Captain. Their is only one Captain/Master on a vessel. For example, I believe that HOS has taken a step in the right direction by eliminating all second and third Captain titles/positions. We only have Captain, Chief Mate, Second mate… And PLEASE let’s not start a ECO against HOS shit show now. That was not the point of my statement!!!

[QUOTE=injunear;165812]Only if you’re from SOUTHERN Norway…[/QUOTE]

Well that’s a relief. Im from the land of the midnight sun :cool: