The Presidential Candidates and Their Views on the Jones Act

You realize that it’s progressives that generally support labor. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of any Union in any sector endorsing a right wing candidate for any office. They’d certainly be more the exception then the rule.

[QUOTE=farmerfalconer;183098]You just did…[/QUOTE]

SO WHAT? We had this thread already and it turned into something very ugly and nasty so that it had to be killed. Now you are starting it all over but fine, this time I am not going to participate so everyone can have at their own little screeching tirades which from what I see will be pretty much spewing venom at Hillary even though she has made a pro merchant marine statement which none of the Republican candidates have seen fit to do although I would believe Kasich would be pragmatic towards the issue. He is the only “adult” in the room yet all these STOOPID UNEDUCATED CRETINS who have seized control of the Republican Party support two candidates who are little more than petulant children who are only interested in hearing their own voices.

[QUOTE=johnny.dollar;183095]What do you mean by support? Whoever gets elected, I doubt the Jones Act is going anywhere. First off, executive branch does not make laws. The “woman” appears to support Jones Act, but she was just giving a speech at a union.

What hurt domestic shipping greatly is that there just isn’t much to ship domestically these days compared to the past. Instead of making stuff in the USA and shipping it around (raw materials to finished goods), it’s all made overseas and shipped here completed. Also, trucking took over a lot–annoyingly. Railroads have downsized a bunch in the last 50 years, but they also became more efficient and reliable.[/QUOTE]

Support short sea shipping with real money allocations for infrastructure improvements like they give the trucking industry (who is against us). Maybe subsidize American shipping (actual ships, not workboats) like China does, which is how they’re a world shipping power. Definitely end Jones Act waivers and possibly end flag of convenience shipping as well (I read an article recently about cracking down on tax havens which could also end foc shipping).

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;183099]You realize that it’s progressives that generally support labor. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of any Union in any sector endorsing a right wing candidate for any office. They’d certainly be more the exception then the rule.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Trump is on record saying Americans make too much and had his clothing line made overseas (in China I think). Hillary says whatever will get her votes so I expect it’s down to Bernie.

[QUOTE=c.captain;183100]SO WHAT? We had this thread already and it turned into something very ugly and nasty so that it had to be killed. Now you are starting it all over but fine, this time I am not going to participate so everyone can have at their own little screeching tirades which from what I see will be pretty much spewing venom at Hillary even though she has made a pro merchant marine statement which none of the Republican candidates have seen fit to do although I would believe Kasich would be pragmatic towards the issue.[/QUOTE]

You can turn it into something nasty if you wish. But believe it or not, it is possible to have a mature adult conversation about controversial topics without it devolving into a mud fight.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;183099]You realize that it’s progressives that generally support labor. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of any Union in any sector endorsing a right wing candidate for any office. They’d certainly be more the exception then the rule.[/QUOTE]

Yes I do. I had always had second thoughts about union shipping because of that fact, now they are simply stronger.

I didn’t see anything nasty going on during that discussion it was all in good fun. What’s really nice how you decide when a thread should be killed. If it had been a left wing circle jerk it would still be going.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;183101]Support short sea shipping with real money allocations for infrastructure improvements like they give the trucking industry (who is against us). Maybe subsidize American shipping (actual ships, not workboats) like China does, which is how they’re a world shipping power. Definitely end Jones Act waivers and possibly end flag of convenience shipping as well (I read an article recently about cracking down on tax havens which could also end foc shipping).[/QUOTE]

And all this mentioned is the responsibility of CONgress.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;183103]I didn’t see anything nasty going on during that discussion it was all in good fun. What’s really nice how you decide when a thread should be killed. If it had been a left wing circle jerk it would still be going.[/QUOTE]

actually, I realize that thread was kaboshed because it became polluted by a certain “lady” of questionable repute rather than the political content of it. I especially liked the bits about wiping moose noses in it

All requested by “secretariats” aka presidential yes-men run agencies.

Exxon Valdez: Following the grounding of the Exxon Valdez in 1989, Exxon requested foreign-flag oil skimming barges to assist in clean-up efforts. MARAD, DOD, and the Coast Guard supported the waiver, with the Coast Guard adding that it supported their use until U.S.-flag vessels could effectively replace the vessels. DOE also recommended approval citing the interest of national defense since the failure to act promptly and effectively could jeopardize the country’s energy supplies. The Customs Service (CBP’s predecessor) ultimately granted the waiver, but mandated that the vessels could not be used for supply purposes. This waiver and other associated waivers were subsequently extended until the threat passed.

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita: Following a DOE request, DHS granted a waiver after Hurricane Katrina in 2005. DHS stated that the catastrophic destruction brought about by Hurricane Katrina dramatically impeded the production and transportation of oil, gas, and other energy sources. Additionally, the administration decided to draw down the strategic petroleum reserve (“SPR”) and needed foreign-flag vessels to transport the supply. There was nationwide support, especially with a spike in gas prices following the catastrophe. Additionally, domestic maritime industry supported the waiver, acknowledging there was not capacity to handle the problem. After Hurricane Rita struck the Gulf Coast a few weeks later, DHS issued another waiver. However, this time the domestic industry protested, claiming that there were coastwise-qualified vessels ready and able to assist. Following the general waiver, the administration issued waivers on a case-by-case basis.

Libya: In 2011, President Obama decided to draw down the SPR after commencing hostilities in Libya. The President authorized the release of 30 million barrels of oil, apparently anticipating shortages due to the unavailability of Libyan crude oil. Out of 45 shipments of crude, 44 used foreign-flag vessels. Following this SPR drawdown, Congress enacted legislation requiring future SPR waivers to provide a written justification for not using coastwise-qualified vessels.

Hurricane Sandy: Following Hurricane Sandy in 2012, DHS issued a waiver to allow foreign-flag vessels to transport petroleum products to New England and the Mid-Atlantic regions. The waiver did not allow for the transport of crude oil or blendstock components. DHS issued the waiver four days after Sandy’s landfall in New Jersey, and the waiver lasted almost three weeks.

Hey Fraq, who is that on your avatar? Looks familiar…

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;183101]Support short sea shipping with real money allocations for infrastructure improvements like they give the trucking industry (who is against us). Maybe subsidize American shipping (actual ships, not workboats) like China does, which is how they’re a world shipping power. Definitely end Jones Act waivers and possibly end flag of convenience shipping as well (I read an article recently about cracking down on tax havens which could also end foc shipping).[/QUOTE]

You are right, China is supporting their Merchant Fleet and Shipyards, mainly by subsidizing early disposal and replacement of obsolete, uneconomical and polluting ships. More nations should follow China’s lead.

Yes, cracking down on Delaware, one of the main Tax Heavens in the world would be a good idea. London, Zurich, Luxembourg etc. is not far behind. Come to think of it, isn’t Wilmington, Delaware the “Home port” of many US Ships and Hq for many Shipping companies?
Nevada is not that popular with the Shipping fraternity, but also rank high among Tax Heavens.

PS> China has the biggest merchant fleet among non-FOC countries and some of the biggest Shipping Companies in the world using their national flag: http://en.coscocs.com/

[QUOTE=farmerfalconer;183098]
Anyhow, thanks for the replies all. Keep them coming. I hate to hear the SIU endorsed Hillary, makes me think twice about signing with them (it was my plan for this fall). No amount of professed support for the MM could convince me to vote for Trump, Hillary or Bernie. Trump is simply a liberal running under the guise of a fierce Republican (and a silly, meglomaniacal, buffoon IMO) and is just as much a liar as Hillary. But I digress…[/QUOTE]

an honest politician…is that like an oxymoron or something?

[QUOTE=pogey-poboy;183110]Hey Fraq, who is that on your avatar? Looks familiar…[/QUOTE]

just some joker…and speaking of JOKES

nevermind…I’m not jumping into the cesspool this time

[QUOTE=ombugge;183112]You are right, China is supporting their Merchant Fleet and Shipyards, mainly by subsidizing early disposal and replacement of obsolete, uneconomical and polluting ships. More nations should follow China’s lead.

Yes, cracking down on Delaware, one of the main Tax Heavens in the world would be a good idea. London, Zurich, Luxembourg etc. is not far behind. Come to think of it, isn’t Wilmington, Delaware the “Home port” of many US Ships and Hq for many Shipping companies?
Nevada is not that popular with the Shipping fraternity, but also rank high among Tax Heavens.

PS> China has the biggest merchant fleet among non-FOC countries and some of the biggest Shipping Companies in the world using their national flag: http://en.coscocs.com/[/QUOTE]

For your pleasure and convenience, agents have offices in Delaware who will gladly assist you in obtaining a flag of convenience for your ship without your having to leave the Washington bubble.

He’s a former drillionaire…

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;183118]He’s a former drillionaire…[/QUOTE]

I wonder if he owns a swimming pool?

[QUOTE=johnny.dollar;183095]What do you mean by support? Whoever gets elected, I doubt the Jones Act is going anywhere. First off, executive branch does not make laws. The “woman” appears to support Jones Act, but she was just giving a speech at a union.

What hurt domestic shipping greatly is that there just isn’t much to ship domestically these days compared to the past. Instead of making stuff in the USA and shipping it around (raw materials to finished goods), it’s all made overseas and shipped here completed. Also, trucking took over a lot–annoyingly. Railroads have downsized a bunch in the last 50 years, but they also became more efficient and reliable.[/QUOTE]

Yours truly, Johnny Dollar, eh?

Respectfully,

Richard Diamond

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;183116]For your pleasure and convenience, agents have offices in Delaware who will gladly assist you in obtaining a flag of convenience for your ship without your having to leave the Washington bubble.[/QUOTE]

How long after the embargo eventually gets lifted before somebody find out it will be cheaper to ship cargo form say Gulf coast to the east coast v.v. by loading it on foreign ships that make a short stop in Havana, thus technically not on a domestic voyage.
OK, they may have to carry some cargo to/from Havana to make it legal.

We did this on the Australian coast back in 1969-70. (10% of the cargo carried was bound for Port Moresby, PNG)
Likewise between what used to be West & East Pakistan(now Bangladesh) but calling at Colombo both ways to “change papers”.

PS> Free business idea for any forum member.

If they want to they’re free to stop in Mexico or the Bahamas right now.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;183142]If they want to they’re free to stop in Mexico or the Bahamas right now.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure nobody does??

I might be wrong but I think If the containers are labeled as origin [US Port] and Destination [US Port] it’s not allowed. Maybe if a cargo cleared customs in a foreign port and was then moved onto a different ship it might be but that would then become too expensive to be a loophole.