Dynamic Positioning Operator at Noble Drilling in Sugar Land, TX
Certified as a Dynamic Positioning System Operator
USCG Third Mates license or equivalent preferred
Computer skills sufficient to operate and maintain dynamic positioning control
Advanced electronics background in troubleshooting, repair, and maintenance of electronic display consoles, circuit card component replacement, electronic instrumentation, etc.
Experience in leadership and management
Experience in an industrial marine environment
Speak English and language of the country where drilling operations occur
Operate the automated and fixed station-keeping system of the rig.
Coordinate the move on or off location, starting or securing the Dynamic Positioning Systems.
Monitor the Dynamic Positioning (DP) System and its associated equipment and instrumentation and operate the manual DP controls if necessary to maintain the desired position of the unit over the well during drilling operations.
Communicate with the Captain during inclement weather conditions to combine the DP system operation with standard propulsion and/or anchored means of station-keeping to ensure the desired position of the unit is maintained.
Maintain good communications with the drill floor at all times.
Track and monitor shipping in the area of operations for possible problems.
Monitor and keep abreast of weather conditions at all times.
Function as rig radio operator.
Train and instruct assigned personnel as requested by management.
Work with and assist various groups of key supervisory personnel on the rig.
Maintenance, Repair, and Troubleshooting
Ensure that the DP system is repaired and pre-tested between well locations and is in 100% operational condition prior to arriving on location.
Maintain, troubleshoot and/or perform routine repairs to the DP system and electronic equipment within the limits of technical expertise and abilities.
Consult with rig management if outside technical experts or specialists are required.
Prepare and/or initiate maintenance requirements for the DP system and its associated equipment as necessary with rig management.
Ensure that adequate spare parts are available to service the DP system and its associated equipment and that the parts are properly stored to prevent damage.
Advise and recommend minimum/maximum spare parts and stock levels for the DP system and associated equipment and assist in ordering replacement parts.
Work with and assist various groups of key supervisory personnel on the rig.
Maintain a daily logbook and prepare a weekly report concerning pertinent activities applicable to maintaining the unit's position as well as special reports.
Maintain records of the DP system equipment, performance, changes, additions, replacements, maintenance schedules, etc. and evaluate this information to improve operational efficiency and minimize downtime.
Rowan Companies is a major provider of global offshore contract drilling services. Our strategic focus is and has been on building our offshore drilling fleet. We continue to look for ways to expand our offshore fleet by adding to our strong position in high-end jack-ups and into ultra deepwater. Rowan recently entered the ultra deepwater sector with three high-specification drillships expected to be delivered starting in late 2013. We are convinced that a balanced fleet provides the best opportunity to create value for our stockholders over time.
Operating on the principle that people are more important than machines and tools, we back our state-of-the-art equipment with an experienced leadership team and highly-skilled operating crews. These dedicated employees are the power behind the Rowan legacy of operational excellence that spans over 89 years.
Senior Dynamic Positioning Operator - Deepwater
The Senior Dynamic Positioning Operator (Sr. DPO) operates the automated and fixed station keeping system of the Drillship.
Located on the drillship bridge, the Sr. DPO operates the automated and fixed station keeping system of the vessel. Stands watch on rig moves.
Direct Manager/Supervisor – Chief Mate of OIM/ Master, depending on shift.
Functional Manager/Supervisor – OIM/ Master
The Sr. DPO has one direct report:
Qualifications and Experience
- Dynamic Positioning Operator (DPO)
The Senior Dynamic Positioning Operator is required to have:
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Second Mate License 95 II/1, US Coast Guard Unlimited tonnage license (46 CFR 10.402 & 10.406) or equivalent (international marine license).
- Three years minimum of offshore experience in the Marine department or as an alternate five years minimum of related DPO experience in a related marine environment.
- Fluent English communication skills (oral and written).
- Completion of all mandatory training and certification requirements for Sr. DPO as described in the Rowan Training Matrix.
- Valid and current Dynamic Positioning certificate and Ballast Control Operator license.
- Valid medical evaluation.
Key Behavioral Attributes
- Comply with Rowan Code of Conduct and supporting policies, standards and applicable process documentation.
- Perform all work according to agreed expectations of both internal and external customers, focus on doing things right first time, every time and contribute actively to continual improvement activities.
- Act as a Safety Leader ensuring the ongoing identification of hazards and the implementation of controls to manage the associated risks with a special focus on Permit to Work and Isolation procedures as needed.
- Operate dynamic positioning (DP) equipment in order to maintain the rig in a stable condition and at the correct draft and trim at all times.
- Operate the ballast control system where applicable.
- Maintain logbook of all position keeping equipment.
- Immediately advise the Chief Mate or OIM/Master of potential position loss, and/or equipment malfunction.
- Perform Preventive Maintenance on DP equipment – ensure the system’s performance is not degraded by defective sensors.
- Monitor required engine rooms alarms and signals and call for assistance prior to problem developing.
- Assist with running hydrophones and subsea beacons.
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of drill floor operations.
- Maintain close line of communication with the drill floor at all times whilst connected to the seabed.
- Participate in emergency drills and emergency management as per the ship station bill and as directed by the Chief Mate and OIM/Master.
- Ensure that operations are planned, organized, supervised and executed in accordance with well programs, rig move plans, Rowan requirements and contractual obligations.
- Provide assistance and training to personnel in the operation and maintenance of equipment, and regularly appraise and provide feedback to direct reports.
- Maintain the housekeeping onboard to the Rowan standards with a particular focus on escape routes to remain clear of any obstruction at all times.
- Openly communicate with all departments, client and third parties as required.
- Prepare a comprehensive and accurate work status report and communicate it at end of shift and end of hitch handovers.
- The DPO must have a detailed understanding of the DP computer systems, including changing between systems and the various modes of operation.
- To have a full understanding of the thrust units, power management and supply, equipment redundancy, availability and maintenance requirements. Monitor radar periodically for changing traffic and weather conditions.
- The DPO must be aware of the vessels operation capabilities and footprints.
- To have knowledge of the vessels Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) and an understanding of the implications of all identified failure modes.
- Safety and team orientated.
- Enthusiastic, self motivated, dynamic and proactive attitude.
- Always promote the Company interest in a positive manner.
- Commitment, leadership and accountability, especially regarding HSE matters.
Founded in 1760, our client is one of the most strongly established Maritime Class Societies in the world.
7,000 employees in 246 offices worldwide.
Winner of the 2010 British Company of the Year Award
Large company financial backing with a “small town” feel within the Subsea Department
Benefits and Features
90/10 employer health coverage
No monthly premium charged to employees
6% 401K Match
Business Class flights to and from worksites (If economy, miles will be credited to personal account)
No Layoffs – No “up and down” financial climate
Large company resources supporting a smaller department. People matter.
The Role They Will Play
The DP Marine Surveyor will be responsible for completing DP surveys, trials, FMEAs, and overall dynamic positioning marine assurance on behalf of the operators.
Houston is the largest city in Texas with a population of over 2 million people.
A largely motivated and diverse community with employment opportunities to fit all life styles- being the 2nd highest fortune 500 area in the world.
Higher college graduate levels than the national average- with an average annual income of 100k+.
Home of three major professional teams in basketball, baseball, and football.
Located in the center of some of the best public schools in the state.
Experience as a DP- minimum of 5 years
Exposure to DP system manufacturing
Working knowledge of Electrical DP systems
Permanent LocationUSARegionTown Required Residency Posted By Northern Marine Management Limited Date Posted 25 Oct 2013 Expiry Date 6 Jan 2014 Job Reference Job Description
Chevron. A global Energy Company with global opportunities.
Chevron Shipping has provided marine transportation to Chevron Corporation since 1895. Today we manage a modern, expanding fleet of 26 Chevron owned and operated Oil, LNG and DP Shuttle Tankers.
We are currently seeking applications from Officers who match the following criteria for our current DP Shuttle Tanker fleet expansion:
• Qualified Unlimited Dynamic Positioning Operators with previous DP2 Shuttle Tanker experience.
• Qualified Unlimited Dynamic Positioning Operators with previous offshore DP2 experience.
Join us and get the benefits of a world class compensation package
with a company focused on your long term professional development:
• Highly competitive total remuneration package that includes highly competitive salary in U.S. Dollars with exchange rate protection, plus DP bonus for Deck Officers in possession of DP Operators Certificate, non-contributory pension scheme, annual bonus, enhanced voluntary monthly savings plan and paid study leave for license upgrade.
Our current extensive and exciting expansion program includes orders for new additional DP Shuttle Tankers. The expansion program shall provide newly recruited officers with an ideal opportunity to progress their career on modern vessels with one of the leading energy companies in the world.
Chevron is a global Energy Company and currently employs over 100 Mariners in various Shoreside and Upstream projects.