Texas A&M Maritime vs. Kings Point

[QUOTE=c.captain;156474]can we get back to discussing all the lovely Texas coeds now?

I want to post more photos…[/QUOTE]

Photos of Texas coeds are aleays welcome regardless of the topic. Post away c.capt.

[QUOTE=txwooley;156498]Photos of Texas coeds are aleays welcome regardless of the topic. Post away c.capt.[/QUOTE]

your wish is my command…

to the OP, you go to KP and you’ll miss having this sweet babe as your girlfriend…I think her name is Mary Ann

btw, the guy has not even been back.

This thread just got a whole lot more interesting.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;156528]This thread just got a whole lot more interesting.[/QUOTE]

as an old man let me tell all you young’ns to never waste a minute of your youth getting as much as you can whenever you can. Someday the young babes will look at you when you try to pick them up and tell you that you look like their dad. When you realize that you are old enough to be their dad suddenly you realize you are an old man.

Now I am not giving up becoming the next “most interesting man in the world” but becoming that ain’t as easy as I had thought even though my beard and stach kick ass!

I just need a venue and the bucks…

note to my young shipmates, most hot things in their 20’s haven’t clued into the using their hotness only for guys with money. You can get plenty of top rate babe material and still be broke but you can’t do that forever! Just sayin…

Live by the addage “what whould Morgan do?” and in the meantime…“Stay Thirsty My Friends”

I tell you what, the campus upgrades and expansions have made a drastic upgrade and expansion of the girls at tamug over the past few years. No one will argue that. Couple that with the summer beach tourist, UTMB nursing students, the strand, and of course your weekend CS trips and Northgate, then you have to be doing something wrong if your not having a good time, especially compared to any of the maritime academies.

http://s387.photobucket.com/user/TexasAggieLove/library/Texas%20Aggie%20Girls?sort=3&page=1

Just think, when you go out on cadet observer at A&M all the non-maritime guys can keep your super-hot girlfriend distracted from the loneliness of you being away. So nice of them to cheer her up.

There are pros and cons to both schools.
USMMA:
Pros:
More prestige - especially true for systems engineering degrees.
Less money
Great networking after you get out. Lots of ‘good ol boy’ jobs if you have the connections.
You learn how to deal with assholes pretty effectively. I can’t think of any better education than having to reasonably deal with unreasonable people in a very real sense.
If you want to go into any branch of the service KP offers an excellent way to get into the officer corps of any of the armed services.
Excellent start to an advanced degree, law school, etc.
Good finishing school - you can feel fairly comfortable in high pressure business meetings, etc.
This school will definitely give you a couple good friends that can be called on for anything - can be helpful for digging holes, etc.

Cons:
Tough to get a sailing education unless they’ve changed drastically from the 90s. They wanted to push everybody into business and logistics jobs and not sailing jobs.
MARAD b.s. is getting a lot tougher. They actually require people to work in the maritime industry, which is difficult if the job market is tight.
More regimental b.s. than you can imagine.
This is all about delayed gratification. Put in your time and it may or may not be worth it. In my case it was.

A&M:
Pros:
Much more real life sailing based education - they seem to want to train deck officers to be, well, deck officers.
No MARAD b.s.
Much less regimental b.s.
Not nearly as many assholes waiting to carve you up when you fail at something.

Cons:
more expensive (although A&M is still a better deal than other State maritime colleges)
less prestige (who cares if you just want to sail - a license is a license) this becomes important if you want to seek advanced degrees or law school n shit.
Not nearly the networking as KP. I don’t know of too many Aggies that actively try to recruit other Aggies.

A lot comes down to personal choice. If you don’t mind military regimental life than KP is a great place to be educated. If you want to have a somewhat normal college experience than it would be A&M all the way. I chose KP and can’t say that I would repeat this. I gutted it out and feel I got a good education. I’ve been pretty lucky in my career (although it was tough starting out - had to sail as an AB for a few years). I can’t say that I would have done any better or worse if I had gone to A&M.

My only advice would be to try and find the latest trends of the industry and collect enough paper and experience to make yourself invaluable to a company. Currently I would suggest trying to get a Dynamic Positioning certificate while you are in school - this would give you a leg up on the other graduates when it comes time to find a job. In four or five years this might have changed.

Best of luck to you.

Pay no attention to the trolls that are in this forum. As salty as some of them try to sound I wouldn’t trust them to sail a rubber ducky across a bathtub.

I know this is a late response, but I just wanted to thank everyone who posted for their advice. I got a lot of helpful PM’s and postings that helped me to narrow down the decision. If anyone cares, I decided on A&M after receiving some financial aid. Couldn’t be more excited to join the Aggie family. Gig 'em!

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded. I got a lot of useful information from the PM’s and the postings. Don’t know if anyone cares that much, but I decided on TMA after receiving a pretty good amount of financial aid. Couldn’t be more excited to join the Aggie family. Gig 'em!

[QUOTE=85949915;158085]Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded. I got a lot of useful information from the PM’s and the postings. Don’t know if anyone cares that much, but I decided on TMA after receiving a pretty good amount of financial aid. Couldn’t be more excited to join the Aggie family. Gig 'em![/QUOTE]

VERY CAPITAL! I am happy you took my advice and sought out your own personal Morgan to make your decision…Our good captain would be proud of the wisdom you have shown in your wonderful choice…

GOOD MAN! Drinks for everyone…ON ME!

Listen kid,
I was in your shoes just 5 years ago. I picked A&M, and I have never regretted it.
Worldwide, your aggie ring will hold more prestige than your kp ring, and your connections will spread not only across many parts of the maritime industry, but other industries as well.

Don’t worry about the money. Your life is more important.and you are going to make plenty of money anyways. At A&M you get to enjoy drink specials at the bars all the time. Beach days fishing and kicking back a cold one. Hell, you can catch all the trout, flounder, and redfish off the schools pier!

Do yourself a favor. Enjoy your youth. Learn about the back door to yagas until you are 21. Get yourself a MARB(marine biology) BARB(Barbie), and study hard. It will all be worth it.

[QUOTE=bayouboudreaux;158236]Listen kid,
I was in your shoes just 5 years ago. I picked A&M, and I have never regretted it.
Worldwide, your aggie ring will hold more prestige than your kp ring, and your connections will spread not only across many parts of the maritime industry, but other industries as well.

Don’t worry about the money. Your life is more important.and you are going to make plenty of money anyways. At A&M you get to enjoy drink specials at the bars all the time. Beach days fishing and kicking back a cold one. Hell, you can catch all the trout, flounder, and redfish off the schools pier!

Do yourself a favor. Enjoy your youth. Learn about the back door to yagas until you are 21. Get yourself a MARB(marine biology) BARB(Barbie), and study hard. It will all be worth it.[/QUOTE]

Very true. Besides that clutch back door at yagas, you’re bound to go to school with the bartenders and bouncers as well.

[QUOTE=Lone_Star;158309]Very true. Besides that clutch back door at yagas, you’re bound to go to school with the bartenders and bouncers as well.[/QUOTE]
I had 10 drinks and my bar tab was only 6 dollars. How the hell does that happen?!
Survive O-Week, and realize during it that it is just a show. School is much less regimental than they will lead you to believe.