Texas A&M Maritime vs. Kings Point

I guess cause I’m not in Texas, but I have sailed with a few dummies from there. To be fair though, I have sailed with dummies from all academies

[QUOTE=txwooley;156272] I’m not comparing A&M to Yale or anything like that, but it is [B]widely understood, at least around the state of Texas, that TAMU doesn’t turn out dummies.[/B][/QUOTE]

And it is widely understood by grads and attendees from College Station that TAMUG isn’t even a Kudzu League University by comparison.

[QUOTE=Lone_Star;156341] The shoreside network is second to none.[/QUOTE]

And I’m sure that has everything to do with TAMUG’s enrollment and not College Station’s top 5 ranking for undergraduate population between 40 and 44K and the tens of thousands of active duty military grads out of T A&M since late 1870 something…

//youtu.be/ZJEwrw4VEls

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;156378]And I’m sure that has everything to do with TAMUG’s enrollment and not College Station’s top 5 ranking for undergraduate population between 40 and 44K and the tens of thousands of active duty military grads out of T A&M since late 1870 something…[/QUOTE]

Easy there cowboy. Guess you are unfamiliar with TAMUGs history and its accreditation. We share the same network. What tamug grad hurt your feelings?

At least we can safely say everyone hates KP.

Advantages of KP vs TAMUG:

1. Cost - KP is free, with the exception of incidental costs like a computer, laundry, etc. A state school will set you back about $25K or more per year, less any aid. I don’t figure loans as aid since they have to be paid back with interest. 100K versus, maybe 10K in incidentals, is a lot of money no matter how much people tell you you’ll make after graduation.

2. The cadet observer program should yield better hands on training than being one of 300 kids on a training ship during the summer.

3. Sports. As far as I know TAMUG has virtually no intercollegiate athletics. If you want to participate, you’re out of luck. KP has the full gamut.

Disadvantages of KP:

1. Commitment after graduation - grads are committed to working in the merchant marine for a number of years and being in the inactive reserve of a military branch OR doing active duty in the military. That’s a big deal. Things can change a lot between the age of 18 and 22. One might decide that he wants nothing to do with the maritime industry or a superb job opportunity, outside of the industry, could present itself. With KP, you’re stuck. State school students incur no obligation unless they take SSOP money. I do not know WHEN a kid incurs the obligation at KP. Can you transfer out after 1 year, or 2 years without incurring the obligation? It’s something to check out before signing on the dotted line.

2. Internal transfer - if you decide that the regiment and license program is not for you, you should be able to transfer out of the regiment at TAMUG and still graduate from the school on time. You might also be able to transfer to the main A&M campus with ease. You can’t do that at KP.

3. Military lifestyle - KP is all military, all the time. The state schools, depending on which, are not as bad. If one looks on the military stuff as BS, it will be a lot harder to get through KP.

4. Exposure to non-military type kids. At KP you have none. At a place like TAMUG you have lots, since most of the students are not in the regiment. The vast majority the outside world in made up of non military types. They are who you deal with after graduation.

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;156378]And I’m sure that has everything to do with TAMUG’s enrollment and not College Station’s top 5 ranking for undergraduate population between 40 and 44K and the tens of thousands of active duty military grads out of T A&M since late 1870 something…[/QUOTE]

Johnny, I luvs yah man but a vid of PeeWee Herman? Here?

Didn’t he get busted for phlashing his peewee in front of a bunch of kidz or something?

[QUOTE=Rich Bogad;156387]3. Exposure to non-military type kids.[/QUOTE]

by which he mean young females you can have sex with…like he says “At KP you have none”

and might I also say “BOY HOWDY”!

Sports. As far as I know TAMUG has virtually no intercollegiate athletics. If you want to participate, you’re out of luck. KP has the full gamut

TAMUG has TAMU varsity sailing and crew team. Other than that, they have a good intermural program for everything.

[QUOTE=c.captain;156393]by which he mean young females you can have sex with…like he says “At KP you have none”

and might I also say “BOY HOWDY”![/QUOTE]

THIS is no joke. You will find yourself enjoying your trips to CS very much. 25,000 of the best looking females in Texas, or maybe even the United States.

[QUOTE=Lone_Star;156394]TAMUG has TAMU varsity sailing and crew team. Other than that, they have a good intermural program for everything.[/QUOTE]

besides except for their sailing team, KP’s sports programs is at the bottom of the bottom of all the conferences. Their football team doesn’t even make the Pop Warner league!

GO AGGIES!

//youtu.be/FOnRevm-B3s

These girls are awesome. Seen the several times at reed arena basketball games. Highly recommend the all inclusive sports pass for this reason alone. Also, you get the better seats than main campus for all the events (they know we have a little drive).

[QUOTE=85949915;156183]I’m currently a high school senior who’s been accepted to both KP and A&M Maritime. At this point I’m trying to decide between the two. A&M is a lot closer to home (and a lot warmer,) but it’s definitely going to be more expensive. On the other hand, KP is free, but it’s a lot farther away and also has significantly more regimental BS. I talked to both Maine Maritime and Mass Maritime alumni who both said that between the two KP was the better choice due to the network and prestige.
Can any A&M alumni fill me in on the pros of Texas Maritime and whether or not they’ve had more trouble finding work in the gulf after graduation due to a lesser network?

Also, I know most threads involving KP devolve into trash talking KP; I’m not asking for senseless insults and trash talk, just the pro’s and cons of each.[/QUOTE]

If you don’t want to go to KP that’s fine. But why limit your options to TMA. If you can get into KP, you can easily get into all of the state schools. Go visit the schools and see which one would fit you best.

My priority list ( for what its worth) would be: GLMA, CMA, Maine, Mass, Texas, and SUNY (actually SUNY would not be for me at all).

[QUOTE=Lone_Star;156386]Easy there cowboy. Guess you are unfamiliar with TAMUGs history and its accreditation. We share the same network. What tamug grad hurt your feelings?

At least we can safely say everyone hates KP.[/QUOTE]

i’m not sure who’s laughing more about Galvatraz’s history, accreditation, and network sharing… me or my wife.

Thats like saying just because KP is federal, it’s just as tough as West Point.

No, no TAMUG grad got under my skin. I’ve hardly met any. Mostly, they’re too busy “sailing” on MODUs these days.

Everyone, huh. Nothing like throwing out blanket generalizations to create fact from opinion.

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;156404]i’m not sure who’s laughing more about Galvatraz’s history, accreditation, and network sharing… me or my wife.

No, no TAMUG grad got under my skin. I’ve hardly met any. Mostly, they’re too busy “sailing” on MODUs these days.

Everyone, huh. Nothing like throwing out blanket generalizations to create fact from opinion.[/QUOTE]

Johnny, do you still work at Jackson?

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;156404]i’m not sure who’s laughing more about Galvatraz’s history, accreditation, and network sharing… me or my wife.

Everyone, huh. Nothing like throwing out blanket generalizations to create fact from opinion.[/QUOTE]

Galvatraz, good one. Almost as restrictive as KP. Only lacking a gate guard and fence. Doesn’t KP have something like that? The network, accreditation, and history seem good to me, but what do I know.

Yep, if the shoe fits. I know some good people from KP, but even they don’t like the school… so pretty much everyone. The tax payers sure do hate the school too, what a rip off. Come to think about it the Navy hates it as well as all the other branches of the military. What the hell is a maritime school doing letting people commission into the Army or Air Force? What a bass ackwards school.

[QUOTE=bcoogan23;156406]Johnny, do you still work at Jackson?[/QUOTE]

Never have.

[QUOTE=Lone_Star;156415]Galvatraz, good one. Almost as restrictive as KP. Only lacking a gate guard and fence. Doesn’t KP have something like that? The network, accreditation, and history seem good to me, but what do I know.

Yep, if the shoe fits. I know some good people from KP, but even they don’t like the school… so pretty much everyone. The tax payers sure do hate the school too, what a rip off. Come to think about it the Navy hates it as well as all the other branches of the military. What the hell is a maritime school doing letting people commission into the Army or Air Force? What a bass ackwards school.[/QUOTE]

Those commissions from USCG, USMC, USA, USAF are the choice of those branches. They can easily say no and often do. And, I know of nothing that would prevent any SSOP recipients at any school from trying the same. I’m sure there is some number over time who have.

As as far as the taxpayers go, we all hate waste. MARAD is a rip off, and so is any money they give to any school.

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;156419]Never have.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha, I thought had said that you have a while back.

can we get back to discussing all the lovely Texas coeds now?

I want to post more photos…

https://twitter.com/tamugconfession
Woe, just stumbled upon this…

With the benefits of College Station and Galveston at your fingertips, the world is yours.