Tall Ship Simulator

I know you can get many traditional ship simulator games online but, does anyone have experience with [I][B]tall ship simulators[/B][/I]? I know of a pc game called Pirates Of The Burning Sea is suppose to be realistic, has anyone tried it? Does a full mission tall ship simulator exist somewhere? I looked at ASTA’s website with no great luck.

If it does exist does it let you control the sails, lines and other parts of the sailing ship?

Just curious.

Good question. I don’t know the answer but I’m sure Bob Glover at Northeast Maritime Institute does. I’ll send him a note.

DS and John,

Here is what I know of TS simulators or lets say the lack of them.

There was talk about 12 years ago or so, to build a “3D tall ship ride” in Baltimore’s inner Harbor when the ESPNZone was built. Some folks had come to us at POBII and we got into discussions about making a tall ship Simulation that folks could experince much like a ride. However it never materilized.

I know of the online game you speak of and it is very good, however it is nothing like current full mission bridge ship simulation you experince at an academy, union school or private maritime training school when it comes to the realism of shipboard operations, ship interaction, hydrodynamics, roll play etc etc.

Having been involved in the tall ship industry for sometime (over 20 years), and in the past 3 years running and building simulation exercises for training marines, I don’t ever expect to see a tall ship simulator. There simply would not be a market for their use that would justify a company like TRANSAS or others to make the capital investment in the software and related hardware development necessary to produce a tall ship simulator for the market place. I say this from the perspective of actually sailing the vessels and the related functions VS the navigation of a tall ship. TRANSAS does have a “target ship” that looks like a tall ship, but it is just “eye candy” in simulations. The cost of modeling a sailing vessel for running in a simulator would cost in the 10’s of thousands of dollars, and few companies have that kind of money in invest in such development with the lack of a low financial return.

We have tall ship sailors that come to our school all the time for BRM, ARPA training etc. However not for simulation training where they would pull “imaginary lines” etc to make a tall ship simulator react to a mariners input at the controls, this in my opinion is best left for the real world training on board an actual vessel.

So, some day there may be a “Disney type” of Tall Ship ride that replicates the tall ship experince, but I don’t ever see a marketable need for a serious tall ship simulator that would train mariners and/or qualify them for sailing on board a tall ship in sail handling etc.

Trust this was helpful. If anyone else out there in the marine world has any input, experince or knowledge of some type of tall ship simulator let’s say at WORLD’S END or some far off island, let us know!!!

Very interesting, seems like it would be a good idea for many of the owners to pitch in for software development. You can’t put a price on safety.

I’ve been playing that Pirate game. I wouldn’t put it close to a simulation. More like World of Warcraft with a wind gage and a bit more strategy.

Awesome post, thanks! [RIGHT][U]simulation emprunt immobilier[/U][/RIGHT]

[right]simulation rachat de credit[/right]
this is just what i need! thanks:D

CMA_Decky’s correct about PotBS, it’s far from a ship sim.

Years ago I used Virtual Sailor, which was at that time the best ship sim (for the home PC) that I’ve seen. I just googled it and it appears to be still available and “recently” up to date (looks like the last version update was in 2007).
homepage: http://www.hangsim.com/vs/

a number of user created tall ships:
http://www.hangsim.com/vs/boats.php?dzone=bsail

I had like version 1.x, so my knowledge of the program is very out of date. It had limited real-world “training” use, but did have a very good sailing model (wind/waves (no current), sail rigging). One nice feature was you could use real-world DEM maps (I had created a Puget Sound region) so you can create areas to sail that might be familiar or of interest (can add in nav aids, visual references).

I actually can :wink: and the development alone would cost more than it would to build and operate a training ship.

[quote=tugsim;9587]DS and John,

Here is what I know of TS simulators or lets say the lack of them.

There was talk about 12 years ago or so, to build a “3D tall ship ride” in Baltimore’s inner Harbor when the ESPNZone was built. Some folks had come to us at POBII and we got into discussions about making a tall ship Simulation that folks could experince much like a ride. However it never materilized.

I know of the online game you speak of and it is very good, however it is nothing like current full mission bridge ship simulation you experince at an academy, union school or private maritime training school when it comes to the realism of shipboard operations, ship interaction, hydrodynamics, roll play etc etc.

Having been involved in the tall ship industry for sometime (over 20 years), and in the past 3 years running and building simulation exercises for training marines, I don’t ever expect to see a tall ship simulator. There simply would not be a market for their use that would justify a company like TRANSAS or others to make the capital investment in the software and related hardware development necessary to produce a tall ship simulator for the market place. I say this from the perspective of actually sailing the vessels and the related functions VS the navigation of a tall ship. TRANSAS does have a “target ship” that looks like a tall ship, but it is just “eye candy” in simulations. The cost of modeling a sailing vessel for running in a simulator would cost in the [B][U]10’s of thousands of dollars[/U][/B], and few companies have that kind of money in invest in such development with the lack of a low financial return.

We have tall ship sailors that come to our school all the time for BRM, ARPA training etc. However not for simulation training where they would pull “imaginary lines” etc to make a tall ship simulator react to a mariners input at the controls, this in my opinion is best left for the real world training on board an actual vessel.

So, some day there may be a “Disney type” of Tall Ship ride that replicates the tall ship experince, but I don’t ever see a marketable need for a serious tall ship simulator that would train mariners and/or qualify them for sailing on board a tall ship in sail handling etc.

Trust this was helpful. If anyone else out there in the marine world has any input, experince or knowledge of some type of tall ship simulator let’s say at WORLD’S END or some far off island, let us know!!![/quote]

Actually that number would be exponentially higher :wink:

I’ve been a tall ship captain. Every difference in the number of sails set, which sails are set, how each sail is trimmed, the direction and speed of the wind and seas, and the current are all going to affect the boat’s performance.

There are literally hundreds of scenarios, if not thousands, to program if you were develop a program for shiphandling. And then it would only be good for that boat.

How would you simulate the deck rats climbing up into the rigging? And what’s the point of that anyhow? Nothing beats hands-on training on that type of vessel.

To follow PMC. Not only variations on the sails and such but also the actual hull shape and type of rig. A schooner is much easier to sail than a brig or a ship. Steering systems also have so many variations. Many, even large ships have tiller steering. even the type of evolution makes a huge difference. Ever try to tack a square rigger?. It can be, and often is done but there is a lot of co-ordination of crew. and it is not so easy as a schooner.

Ahh the memories…

[quote=CaptAndrew;20436]
Ahh the memories…[/quote]

Ahh yes…

I’ve run a few schooners, sloops, cutters, etc in my time but have never had the pleasure of stepping aboard a square rigger. I’d love to someday. One of my old commands, the schooner “Lavengro”, is now up on Lake Union in Seattle. She was on Maui when I had her.

[quote=dougpine;20442]Ahh yes…

I’ve run a few schooners, sloops, cutters, etc in my time but have never had the pleasure of stepping aboard a square rigger. I’d love to someday. One of my old commands, the schooner “Lavengro”, is now up on Lake Union in Seattle. She was on Maui when I had her.[/quote]

You know I’m still trying to get them to model a larger sail vessel as a TG :smiley:

"Is not reasonable…" :frowning:

I’m finally starting a megayacht OS now . .

It’s going to be VERY sufficient :smiley: