Suny Masters international transportation Management + Licensing program

I’d like any input possible. I’m currently planning to begin attending SUNY Masters int transportation mgmnt program this fall. My whole goal with the program is to graduate with the 3rd mates unlimited license. I’d like to get into the cruise ship or mega yacht industry. Is this program going to give me a leg up for good jobs? That’s obviously my reason for the program, but will this make me much more attractive to cruise line companies? I currently drive ferry’s, don’t have much experience with larger ships than 100 ton but want to get into more.

Any constructive feedback is much appreciated.

If you are a good student and highly motivated you can finish the program with a 3rd mate license in 2 years and be sailing on it almost immediately.

[QUOTE=higgy0621;155339]I’d like any input possible. I’m currently planning to begin attending SUNY Masters int transportation mgmnt program this fall. My whole goal with the program is to graduate with the 3rd mates unlimited license. I’d like to get into the cruise ship or mega yacht industry. Is this program going to give me a leg up for good jobs? That’s obviously my reason for the program, but will this make me much more attractive to cruise line companies? I currently drive ferry’s, don’t have much experience with larger ships than 100 ton but want to get into more.

Any constructive feedback is much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I would recommend caution. I was just talking about this with a few other current students yesterday and the school is currently in the process of changing the program for ITT and downsizing the license program. The License programs are wildly underfunded as is so the next moves will have a big impact on where the school ends up. This is just something you may want to consider, the school is still here and still a staple in the industry. Good luck with everything.

Where’d you hear this this stuff… License is still alive and kicking just fine

[QUOTE=Waverebel;161138]Where’d you hear this this stuff… License is still alive and kicking just fine[/QUOTE]

The kid said the license program is underfunded. If you want to see an example, just look at what they want to pay people to teach this stuff. Here are jobs being advertised by SUNY Maritime right now.

[B][B]Adjunct Instructors
[/B][/B]
Requirements:
Bachelor’s degree
Substantial sailing experience while holding a valid Operational or Managerial level MMC
Preferred Qualifications:

Tankerman, Towing and D.P. experience encouraged
Chief Mate/Master and/or First Assistant/Chief Engineer

[I]If you’re not aware, working as an adjunct is like taking a vow of poverty. They give you a few grand to teach the course, develop the course, advise students, and all sorts of other stuff - for a tiny amount of money.[/I]

[B]Lecturer 12-Month in Marine Engineering
[/B]

A lecturer’s duties include:

Teaching engineering courses and USCG license preparation courses
Assisting in laboratories and serving as an engineering watch officer or instructor during the two (2) month Summer Sea Term (SST) each year.

Requirements:
Applicants must hold a degree in a suitable engineering discipline and hold or have held a USCG Engineers license for steam and/or motor vessels of unlimited horsepower, with applicable STCW endorsements. Applicant should also possess or expect to pursue a Master’s degree in an engineering discipline. Additionally, the Senior Lecturer position requires that applicant have significant prior engineering and management experience, preferably in the maritime industry or in military service and should possess a Master’s degree in an engineering discipline or be registered as a Professional Engineer.

Classification/Salary Range: Lecturer 12-Month is a UUP Position. This will be a non-tenure track, 12-month position for a fixed term of one year, with one to three year extensions possible by mutual consent. [B]The anticipated salary for this position is $50,000 annually[/B]

[I]Yep! 50 grand, not only to teach all year, but also spend 60 days away from home, floating around on the the ship.
[/I]

Lecturer 12-Month

Job Description:
This is a 12-Month lecturer teaching position in the Professional Education & Training department. The incumbent will be assigned various STCW/licensing courses and USCG-approved courses offered to professional mariners as the needs of the department dictate. The selected individual must be ready to teach various courses assigned by the Chair, and consistent with their background and expertise. Participation in Summer Sea Terms (SST) may be required. When not on the Summer Sea Term, the incumbent will be assigned teaching duties in the Professional Education & Training department, or an appropriate project.

Requirements:
Minimum Bachelor’s degree and Second Mate or Third Mate’s license with current sea time and STCW certification. Candidates should have graduated from a Maritime college or have extensive commercial experience in either the Deep-sea or Workboat industry. Ideal candidate should also have experience in course development and classroom/lab instruction.

Classification/Salary Range: Lecturer 12-Month is a UUP Position. [B]The anticipated salary for this position is $53,000 annually[/B]

Again, they not only want you to teach during the school year, but also either spend 60 days on the boat, or do other stuff. All while the regular faculty is sitting on a beach somewhere, or doing other stuff for the 3 months they’re off.

Of course, we also have the fact that the NYC area is just about the most expensive place in the US to live.

Meanwhile, they’re still advertising for SST crew. From the ad: Salary/Compensation: [B]The anticipated salary range for this position is $125 - $200 as a daily rate of pay[/B]. Salary will commensurate with licensure, certification and experience.

You can red all this yourselves. Just go here:
https://maritime.interviewexchange.com/static/clients/373SMM1/index.jsp

Maybe that’s what he meant by “underfunded”. Of course, the school has plenty of money for more and more administrative jobs. They have money to pay 6 figure, or close to six figure, salaries for jobs that they’re not even supposed to have according to SUNY guidelines. They have administrators that were hired with no qualifications, or experience, for their position. Yeah, they have money for these clowns, but none for the people that actually teach the stuff to the kids.