SUNY Maritime College vs Mass Maritime Academy

Hi, as I want to major in Naval Architecture, which school is better between SUNY Maritime College vs Mass Maritime Academy?

Please help!

You might find some information to assist your decision here:

http://main.abet.org/aps/accreditedprogramsearch.aspx

Does Massachusetts offer a degree in Naval Architecture?

I don’t think asking which school is “better” is the right way to go about this. I’m not sure how much research you’ve done or how set you are on this career path but most Naval Architecture degrees are graduate degrees. I’m sure you could find a B.E program but I’m not sure how much you’re going to stand out. Naval Architecture is going to be an engineering degree, which means very rigorous academics. If you are coming out of high school, I would recommend spending two years at a community college to get an idea of how the college workload is. A counselor can help you reach your goals and will teach you about financial aid, scheduling your class, etc…

If you are set of this goal, you don’t have to attend a Maritime Academy. There are plenty of well respected schools you can find with a quick google search.

Also I wasn’t aware of a Naval Architecture program at MASS.

You need to decide which school works for you. If I was going to answer your question of which school is “better”, I would say neither. You need to do your own research.

Speaking from my time at SUNY Naval Arc. was a rigorous curriculum. You could pick either Deck or Engine for your license component but most went Deck. NA-E classes almost seemed like they were pulling you in two separate directions. One other thing to note is that regardless of which license route you chose, the Naval Arch was a B.E degree. B.E. degrees are not nearly as common as a B.S in Engineering.

I have no knowledge of the Mass. program for comparison.

Edit: Forgot to add that SUNY also now has the option to take Naval Arch. degree without being part of the Regiment or taking the license requirement.

[QUOTE=hsh951;176345]Hi, as I want to major in Naval Architecture, which school is better between SUNY Maritime College vs Mass Maritime Academy?

Please help![/QUOTE]

how do you not already know about this? or have you for some reason decided against it?

if it’s what you want to do and can get accepted, sounds like a very inexpensive (by comparison) highly technical degree from a well-established institution.

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;176773]http://www.webb.edu/

how do you not already know about this? or have you for some reason decided against it?[/QUOTE]

Maybe the question is for a contingency plan if getting into Webb doesn’t happen. But probably not. Since Mass. doesn’t offer a degree in Naval Architecture, it appears that prior research was minimal.